Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

lockright lockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jimjawz
I cant wait to be able to do a full two wheel burnout!! And cut a proper cookie in the dirt!!

JIM
I can do a full two rear wheel burn out with just the factory limited slip.

I get both of them going on the high tac surface at the drag strip too.

I would consider a locker for the front if I was going to get into sled pulling. Seems it would give you more benifit in the front then in the rear.

Justin
Old 04-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, me too......my 2500 will blow both wheels off in a huge cloud of white smoke with the factory Powr-Lok LS. .....don't need a Detroit to do that......
Old 04-04-2005, 06:49 PM

I am sorry mine didnt come with any type of limited slip. Maby its because mine is a very base model with rubber floors, drum rears , and crank windows. It only came with three features-ctd,4x4,and a/c. That to me is the perfect truck...except for the open rear diff.

p.s. can't wait to do a two wheel peel.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will never have a Detroit in a street driven vehicle again! The most rugged, no compromise traction solution? Yes. Bragging rights on cruise in night? (Yup, {adjust belt buckle} she's got a DE-troit into 'er....)Yes. Miserable as all !@## in anything but extreme situations? You bet! The thing is downright spooky---Picture coasting around a corner and the thing is unlocked and racheting away just as happy as can be...accelerate through the corner in 3rd, boost begins to come up, and, feeling this, you naturally step on it harder to hear the turbo whine Then--BAM!! (and I mean BAM-sounds like the truck broke in half) She locks up and the rear goes up in smoke as you powerslide toward a bunch of kids on the corner Having said that, I've learned to drive around it and it's pretty much second nature now. Personally, I'd give anything to have a factory l/s. I can feel how hard the Detroit is on the u-joints, driveshaft and the axleshafts. Once there's tension on the unit when it's locked, it stays locked, so rounding the corner to pick up your Big Mac can be a tire-chirping, u-joint popping affair Look extra hard for a factory powr lok. I know I am.
greg
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM

g1625s, that really bums me out bro. Can anything good be said about a locker?? Even if my truck is a garage warmer all week and an assphalt ripper on weekend nights?? I just dont want to say..." I wish I had a locker to pull my self out of this sh!@..." I can deal with poping as long as its the locker. So I ask again , what is the best thing I should get for proper burnouts, good doughnuts and the ability to be one of the unstuck
Old 04-04-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The little spider replacement ones are too wimpy for the weight and power of these trucks for 'playing' purposes, imho. They'd give good service for 'normal' use, but you know you're gonna launch in 3rd gear @15psi, so just admit it already The real no compromise locker is the ARB. Full carrier replacement that's tough as nails with open diff driveability at the flip of a switch. The great middle ground is still the powr lok and probably the best all around bet.
greg
Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 PM

Isnt the arb really exspensive??? I have a financal margin. It would be cool to have an air compressor on baord for the locker though. Isnt the detroit adjustable??
Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Chapter President

No, the Detroit is not adjustable......For street performance, the Powr-Lok is superior to the ARB, IMO......With the ARB, the diff is either spooled or open......I have had several Detroits, ARB's and Powr-Loks in different vehicles and they all work very well for their intended applications. In my Jeep, I run a Detroit in the rear and an ARB in the front (I would never consider a ARB for the rear).....It works awesome offroad where it spends most of it's time and is marginal at best on the street.....The Ploks in the CTD's work smoothly and flawlessly on the street but for hard offroad use with really large tires, you would be better off with a Detroit over any LS.

What it comes down to is what you intend on using the truck for? If the truck spends most of the time on the street, if you do some towing and you need excellent performance in the snow, then you need a Plok.......if the truck has huge aggressive tires and is frequently used for abusive, hard offroading, then get a Detroit.....

One thing to watch out for when shopping for a Plok....make sure you don't get the inferior Trak-Lok LS.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
jimjawz, here's my 2 cents.

In my CTD I have the Power Lock rear and it's served me well. I used to (and hope soon again) live in Colorado. A little before moving to OK I took the truck for an outing in the mountains north of Creede, CO and decided to take it on a fairly mild 4x4 trail that gets you near the "top of the world" as views go. There's a section of the trail that goes straight up hill at a 30* incline (as measured on inclinometer) that sometimes causes vehicles w/o limited-slip or locking diffs to get stuck and sit there spinning one wheel on each axle. I went through this same section with barely any tire spin at all. I was actually somewhat surprised that my truck seemed to make this trail so easy.

I also have a CJ-7 with Lock Right lockers in both Dana 44 axles with 36" Swamper TSLs that has so far proven to be a VERY capable off-road vehicle. When driving this Jeep on paved city streets it does scrub the inside rear tire some when turning corners, which is what I've heard and read the Detriot will also do, and yes, it does go bang once in a while as the drive line builds and releases stress between the left and right axle shafts, which at first was somewhat disturbing. I was so concerned that I took the Lock Right components out and inspected everything to see if there was any wear or damage to any parts, including the diff carrier, and was relieved to see no damage and almost no visible wear marks on the locker parts. I've used this Jeep on some pretty nasty trails, mostly rock crawling, throughout Colorado and have really enjoyed the extra traction these lockers have provided in this use. This isn't to say they're necessarily the best or strongest, but it has worked well in my application. They also surprised me in how well mannered they were in snow covered streets, not really behaving much different than it did with open diffs with regard to understeer and sliding sideways. So that's my input on Lock Rights. Your mileage may vary.

You also should, as others here have chimed in, consider your application and what you expect or want to get out of a traction adding diff. Although my Jeep doesn't have quite as much power as a bombed CTD, it still exerts a substantial amount of torque and stress on the driveline and judging how well my Lock Rights have held up I believe the locker components themselves are quite strong and up to the task they're designed for. As pointed out, their weak link is going to be the carrier they're installed in. Also, according to their printed material, they been sold and used in military vehicles for some time, so I would think that says quite a lot about them.

All that being said though, I do prefer the street manners of my CTD's Power Lock to the ratcheting and such of a locker and for the off-roading I'll do I think it will serve my needs quite well.

Steve
Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 PM

How about a detriot limited slip???
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM

come to find out that a detroit locker will only work in 4:10 and up so thats out. Now where do I find a power lock??
Old 04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by jimjawz
come to find out that a detroit locker will only work in 4:10 and up so thats out. Now where do I find a power lock??
Who gave you that info?!?! ....You CAN get just about any series carrier for any Dana axle from Detroit INCLUDING the 3.73 and down carrier for your axle.....Do you have a D80 or a D70/80 hybrid?.....sometimes listings can get screwed up for ring and pinion and carrier parts as some parts are interchangable between the two and some are not.....A reputable ring and pinion supplier should be able to source out the correct part #......does your rear axle have the oem thick spacers between the carrier bearings and the housing?.....this can affect what series carriers your housing can accomadate......A good R & P tech will know this stuff and be able to source out the carrier you want.

The Detroit Tru-trac is a very good LS but is definately 2nd to the Plok for durability and traction.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM

The D70 HD model of Detroit can be used on the D80. All you have to do is redrill the ring gear bolt holes (enlarge them) for use on the D80.

jlh
Old 04-06-2005, 12:29 AM

I got my info from Detroit themselves... Is the tru-trac that mush worse??? I found out that the plok is discontinued and is replaced by the tru-trac. ???

Plus my gears are 3:55s.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Chapter President

The retrofit # from Dana for the LS for a D80 is now a Trak-Lok #......Trak-Lok is a Dana LS and the Tru-Trac is a Detroit LS. It does NOT matter that your gears are 3.55's.....you can get a Plok for your axle but you have to start playing the part # game.....this is where things get strange! The D70HD (70/80 hybrid) carrier is a D80 sized carrier with the larger D80 carrier bearings......the Plok for this application still exists. The D70HD carrier has a smaller ring gear bolt circle to accomadate the smaller D70 ring gear but this can be enlarged to fit the D80 ring gear. This mod is so popular that Reider Racing actually provides this machining service frequently.....apparently they charge about $35 to perform the service if you buy the carrier from them (good deal).....this is another indication of how inferior the Trak-Loks (or any other LS for that matter) are compared to the Plok. Maybe ddestuel can chime in on this......he is defenately our resident Plok expert and has done this swap and is quite knowledgable about the specifics of it.

Quick Reply: lockright lockers