Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

lockright lockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lockright lockers

Hello all, I want a locker for the rear end and was looking at the lockright by powertrax. does any body have lockers or any advise? Any response is welcome .

THANKS , JIM
Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Muted User

easy answer......buy a detroit......i would stay away from the lockright....i had one in a toyota that i used for wheelin and also some street. it is a very loud locker and the road manners sucked.i would not put it in a daily driver....i also have a detroit in my off road truck. very nice road manners...i bought the lockright cause i was trying to save some money they are cheaper for a reason....
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM

As scarecrow said earlier they are very loud (ratcheting). I have d-44's in my samurai with lockrites. Haven't had any problems with them at all. But the weight of a samurai is only 2094 lbs. I have 35"s that are aired down to 5 psi year round. You might want to look into detroit's(500-600.00) or ARB 650.00 w/o the compressor. ARB's, are airlockers so you can lock and unlock upon desire. I probably would turn towards the DETROIT'S, as they are cheaper. Depends on what type of wheeling you are doing.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 PM

just like the other guys said, the Lockright is LOUD. For a truck as heavy and powerful (and most likely daily driven) as your CTD Id shell out the cash for an ARB. You wont know its there till you need it. Detroits are good but you will still know its there.

Not to say the Lockright isnt a good limited slip. Its cheap, easy to install and pretty darn effective. Ive got one in the front axle of my wrangler and love it................then agian i dont drive it on the street anymore
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 PM

I am not an aggressive wheeler and need it mainly for fun.{ doin dougnuts and such.} I like the price of the lockright and if doesnt break I dont care about sound...as if my rig is quiet
Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lock rights will break!!!!

Been there done that bought the t-shirt!

Save your $$
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 AM

detroit it is...thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the lock rite relies in using the existing carrier and cross pin, you are very limited in how much torque they can handle.....An auto locker with only one cross pin is just asking for trouble in a very high torque application.....they can actually work loose and spit out the side of the carrier and crack a housing! - it's been done! Anything from bent and worn carriers to bent cross pins are the result of using the lock rite in the wrong applications......lock rites have absolutely no place in a bombed CTD.....There is no substitute for a full carrier Detroit.....it is the strongest auto locker hands down.....
Old 03-31-2005, 09:31 AM

Lockers do not drive good on the street, at least in short wheelbase app. Lock-rite in my El Camino used to pop out and then slam back in when I let off (all I could afford at the time) If my 502 in a 4000# car was overpowering it, your truck would blow it up in no time!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 AM

if you are driving in snow or even heavy rain country I would steer you to a clutch type posi or arb as you can get in big trouble with the agressiveness of a locker, as said before when they unlock it is actually a square edged gear sliding into another notch.....it is a big jerk when it happens and if you are turning or on an off camber slick road without that stability of the unlocked tire it is gonna slide for sure. they are fun and streetable with practice but still very finicky and if conditions are less then perfect they can be dangerous
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 AM

thank you all so much for the advice before I dorp all of my tax return on this. Is the detroit the best bet? I cant wait to be able to do a full two wheel burnout!! And cut a proper cookie in the dirt!! Again any comment is welcome and thanks.

JIM
Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, for street use, lockers stink....these guys all brought up good points about using lockers on the street......Get yourself a Dana Powr-Lok LS and forget about a poor handling truck that is hard on driveline parts and enjoy the strongest most durable LS you can buy......I have a Powr-Lok in my 2500 and 3500 and they are both high mileage oem diffs that continue to deliver awesome performance and traction.......You'll never catch a Powr-Lok doing a 1 wheel peel!!.....If you are going to go offroad hard and offroad traction is all you care about - get yourself a Detroit or a spool!!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:56 PM

you could go with an arb or an ox locker which can engage or disengage. They are a little expensive(around $600 I think), but will save tire wear and be easier on you in snow.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Jim,
I've had and do currently have Lockright. Theres very little noise with it. I'm thinking that a synthetic oil is a plus for that. It's in my Jeep and in the past I've had 2 others with no problems. They are very strong and about the cheapest on the market.
Detroits are the Caddilac though depending on how much you want to spend. About twice as much as Lockright.
I had an ARB air locker in the front of a Jeep. That was better then any mechanical because you control when it's locked.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:13 PM

I think the detroit sounds good
JIM

Quick Reply: lockright lockers