Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Locking up open differentials..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Locking up open differentials..

Guys, I'm looking into locking differentials for my truck with the D60/D80 axle combo. I'm looking for a SELECTABLE locker(s).

ARB has air-lockers for both my front and rear, but it's $$.

The Detroit locker is available for my rear axle, but only with 4.10 and up gears (I have 3.54 and want to keep them).

What else is out there for a Dana 80 with 3.54s and 35 spline axles?

I have a Dana 60 without the CAD, so what are my other options to selectably lock up the front? Detroit locker, ARB, OX locker are the only ones I know of right now.

Should I just bit the bullet and ARB the front and rear? I mean, if I have to plumb the compressor for one, I might as well do both, right? How reliable and strong are the ARB units? Is the compressor reliable? What about air leaks?

Finally, is there any shop even remotely near Cheyenne known to do a good install? I'd be willing to drive to Ft Collins, Greeley, Denver, etc.

I've decided that it's much better to have locking diffs and milder tread tires than to have crazy boggers and open diffs...

Thanks in advance.
Justin
Old 11-23-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ox trax would be my choice. I like the beefy mechanicals and the positive feel. On the back I would look at Eaton or lockrite. ARB's are nice but the air lines and such can be problematic. You can use copper line and the air up feature is cool, but for my money I like the cable system.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:19 PM

Why do want to lock it up? Are you planning on pulling? Just curious, especially the area of the country you live in with that white stuff in the winter, etc.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

a Detroit for the D70 can be made to work w/ your 3.54 diff. just drill out the ring gear bolt holes to the correct diameter.

Forrest
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM

http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/reviews/7080lockright/ http://www.powertrax.com/ http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/...arts/lckrt.htm This is what has me interested. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
I realize that this its personal preference but if I was doing it I would get one that let me switch fully locked IN or OUT. I know money is a factor but how many times do we not get the one we want because of money and then realize we hate it or need something more and spend more money trying to get what we should have gotten the first time. Reason being is I have been in to many situations where I needed one or the other in my differential, not somewhere in between. Nothing against a good working limited slip unit but I would rather be able to turn it on or off or better yet have a torsion unit that does the thinking for you. I dont know which is the better choice that offers this option since I havent needed to research it.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Chapter President

My personal experience leans me more towards ARB's when it comes to all out strength and durability in a manually selectable locker. Some people do have air line problems from time to time but that is not what I am talking about........I'm talking about how strong the carrier is. I have been less than impressed with the durability of the Ox locker and I do not like the engagement mechanism - it is undersized compared to the ARB. The only other manually selectable locker I have seen to date work well is the Detroit Electrac which is a posi when disengaged and has a very simple electrical actuation system.......that said, these units have not been around long enough to get a good idea of how they hold up in the long term. Hands down a detroit soft locker auto locking diff is the strongest by far over the manually locking diffs. This is why you often see 4x4's that run a detroit in the back and a ARB in the front.

Trending Topics

Old 11-24-2004, 09:32 AM

I really like the idea of the Electrac because it's a gear-driven posi when open, and locked when it's locked. I've never been in a situation with a 4wd where I'd rather have an open diff rather than a posi... especially if there's an open diff up front for stability and turning.

As for the ARB lines being troublesome... Have never seen it when care it taken during the install.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
DRM

IMHO - ARB's front & rear are overkill for what it sounds like you will use your truck for.

A good set of L/S diff's front & rear should be MORE than enough to get you the traction you are looking for.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:56 AM

Lockers

Dodge has the new Power Wagon out this year and has both the front and rear electric lockers from th factory. Might be something there for you to look at.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:12 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally posted by DRM
IMHO - ARB's front & rear are overkill for what it sounds like you will use your truck for.

A good set of L/S diff's front & rear should be MORE than enough to get you the traction you are looking for.
Not to step on toes but running anything in the front other than an open differential or an ARB (or like unit) would not be a good idea. With the front tires spinning the same you will have no steering control when in 4wd. Except when your hammering down in mud or rock crawling.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:58 PM
DRM

My bad KATOOM - I forgot Dodge uses these silly permanently attached hubs. Scratch the front L/S as an option. I am stuck in "off road" mode, forgot which board I was posting to

But the point still stands - spools (which is what a selectable locker is when locked) are really overkill unless you have a specific need for them off road... and I am betting the original poster does NOT have that need.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:58 PM

I also do not NEED a diesel truck.

The reason I was looking at selectable lockers is because it's he only way to lock up the Dodge front end without having binding and handling issues in 2wd.

By my economy, if a locking diff is the difference EVEN ONCE between me getting stuck up in the mountains versus me being able to get out, then the $$ is well spent. An off-road tow can be expensive-- over $1K.

I WOULD consider a Detroit Locker in the rear, though. You say I can make a D70 unit work with my existing carrier?

My only gripe w/ the Detroit unit is that it is locked by default. In other words, it can be a death trap on really icy roads, causing a total loss of control instead of a mild sidestep. Because I use my truck in snow frequently, having a SELECTABLE locker is, to me, of paramount importance.

Open diffs have their virtues in bad weather, as they make any loss of control much less severe and easier to recover from. A tighter LSD would make me give this up and put me with the same problems the Detroits have.

I have the factory LSD (powr-lok? trak-lok?) in my D80, and with the OEM clutch confuguration, it's mostly an open diff. As you tighten up a LSD, the handling gets worse, the tire wear goes up, and the diff life (clutches) and lube life both shorten quite a bit.

Maybe I'll first try a simple lube change and add little/no modifier. My LSD is transferring almost no power to the other wheel, just like an open diff.

Heck, I need to scrub some tread off the rear anyway, so maybe it's time to tighten up my factory LSD.

Thanks for the input. Any more on the D70 option would be appreciated.

Justin
Old 11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Banned

the Detroit replaces the stock carrier.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:25 PM

Hohn, I have been checking out the same things on my 02 ETH. This is what I have found out and what I will do. The reason I dont want an ARB in the rear, is that I have to lock it up to get any traction with both tires. That is a pain in the butt. But, I can only get this locker in the rear that will do what I want. I would put a detroit in the rear, but with my fiver on or my gooseneck trailer, it will bind up I think and with 2500lbs or more on the rear axle, i think it will break something. Plus tire wear is another key element in why I wont put on a detroit. AS for the dana 60. I was looking at the detroit electrac as well, but i dont think i want a limited slip up front on mine because of the snow in alaska. You forgot one manufacturer that now makes selectable lockers for the front that are run by electrics. They are eaton electric lockers. They have one offered now for the dana 60 that has a locked position, and an open position. They jsut came out and that is what i am going to run in the front. I already have a compressor on my truck, so I will run the arb in the rear with a eaton electric locker in the front. Hope this helps because I am also doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Locking up open differentials..