Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Locker for rearend

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker for rearend

So I'm lookin for a locker for my 01' with a dana 80. I broke all my spider gears and plus the carrier. I was wanting to know if anybody knows which one is the best to get. I do alota pull and racing and the usuall stuff. I just want it to be locked up perdy much all the time cept when turning. I was leaning towards Detroit just didnt' know if that was the best?? And It really dont' matter how much noise it makes while turning either.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Detroit is the way to go for what you want. The detroit is a full case locker so it will replace your carrier and everything. It locks up when torque is applied to it (IE, when you get on the gas), and will differentiate some while coasting around a corner and such). Very stout, reliable locker... Detroits have been the "standard" in autolockers forever.

Another option you might consider is an ARB, which is an air locker and can be locked and unlocked with a switch in the cab. When it's locked it's like having a spool in the rear, which means it's completely solid all the way through, meaning turning will suck, but when you unlock it it acts just like an open differential. More money, and more to install because you'll need onboard air of some sort and you'll have to run air lines and mount the switch in the cab.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 PM

I don't see any need for an air locker on the rear, just maybe in the front I think an air locker wold be the way to go. But where is the best place to buy a detroit locker? I been to there site but can find much , what kinda price am I lookin at??
Old 01-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont know if they are the cheapest but they do stock what they advertise and they know their beans on axle stuff....

http://www.reiderracing.com/
Old 01-28-2007, 09:27 PM

I see where they ask for 35 or 37 spline axle's I'm not sure what i have
Old 01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

Detroit's aren't cheap any way you look at em. I do know of a friend with QuickLock's in his Toyota, I don't know if they make them for the D80 or if they will handle the torque as well as they do on the Toyota but, they work awesome in that thing. Once we were pulling a truck, he forgot to lock in the passenger's side hub, still spun the locked tire!! I became a believer then. Not the best driving manners but definatly not bad.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by rollinsmoke
I see where they ask for 35 or 37 spline axle's I'm not sure what i have
35 spline. But knowing for sure is only a centercap and 8 bolts away.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Are detroit's strong enough to handle the torque of the big cummins?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Yes they are strong enough. They are one of the strongest diffs out there. But pulling will not be easy on them...

Remember that lockers give odd handling characteristics on ice, that may be an issue living in Indiana
Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 PM

YEA, i'm not worried aabout drivin on ice, (i drive a dirt latemodel) so that is no problem! But is a detroit my best choice?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 AM

But is a detroit my best choice?
For a rear application and what you want to do with the truck, I would say yes.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Banned

I would say best price no, best choice if you want a locker, yes. I'm drawing a blank right now but, if you have the money, I believe eaton makes an e-locker that functions as a clutch style LSD, like the factory, and then can be locked with a switch when you are in some really nasty stuff. I never liked the ARB's because it was either on or off, great for wheeling but a hassle on the street. These are just like factory, but with the option of a full lock. I gurantee they aren't cheap though!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM

I just made a few phone calls and Detroit does not make a locker, they make a "true trac" or something like that but pretty much it's just a limited slip. Detroit only makes a locker for 4.10 gear ratio's
Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Are detroit's strong enough to handle the torque of the big cummins?
Detroit makes full auto lockers. Not sure who you talked to but they are mistaken. They are one of the biggest names in the industry for brute strenght. http://www.detroitlocker.com/ Maybe they just don't make one for this particular axle but that would be surprising.

I ran a Powertrax No-Slip in the rear of my 99 diesel and snapped both axle shafts and the locker was fine. Got new axle shafts, kept the same locker and it was good to go. I've run nothing but Powertrax No-Slips though front and rear in my past Dodge rams and Jeep Wranglers. It will definitely be what goes in the rear of my '03.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Nope .. they make it...

Part# 225SL105A - DETROIT LOCKER DANA 80 - 37 SPL ALL RATIOS ($719.60)
Part# 225SL131A - DETROIT LOCKER DANA 80 DODGE - 35 SPL ALL RATIOS ($726.85)

http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/sh...ml/page23.html

Quick Reply: Locker for rearend