Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Local Diesel Performance Shop butchered my Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you temp sendor is treaded, With my C6 trans, I MIG welded a nut on there so it goes all the way through, and you can tighten it right up.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM

Update

Well, so far I went to the local tranny shop, and they have a used pan they'll sell me for $25. I also ordered this http://dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG2.asp factory type line from DIESELMANOR.COM for $79.30 USD. I checked at the dealer, they sell the same thing but hold onto your shorts when you hear what they wanted for it......$234.00 + Tax!!!!! Holy smokes!!! Needless to say, I said no thanks.

Once I get the cooler line, I'll make an appt at the tranny shop, and get my Baby fixed.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM

Cooler line has arrived. Pretty simple piece of kit for the $$$$ price. Anyway, have an appoinment at the tranny shop to get the line installed, trans service, new (used) pan installed, and temp probe moved into the cooler line. Oh ya, and they're going to put a helicoil in where that moron stripped the pan bolt. I could just do it myself too. Thinking out loud here, but maybe save myself some $$$. Looks like it'd be pretty easy.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ib516
Looks like it'd be pretty easy.
That's what I always think and then I dive into it and tear up 3 things just to fix one. Maybe one day I will learn my lesson and start paying a proffesional to do my wrenching.....nah, I love to get grease under my nails.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:21 AM

Wrap up!

Well, I went with Hamilton's advice and had the tranny shop do it. All is well in my world again. Cost me $200 total .

As a side note, I find the temp probe being in the line I got from dieselmanor to be much more "responsive" than the probe being in the pan. When the probe was in the pan, in the winter months, the temp stayed at the bottom peg (100*F) almost all winter long - it was rare if it moved. Kinda made me think getting a tranny gauge was a waste of $$$. Can't wait to revisit the temp readings while pulling the RV. Used to average 130* - 150* pulling, and 170* - 180* was the highest I saw when backing into a campsite with 9000# trailer behind me.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The fluid temp in the line will be the hottest. It is measuring the fluid coming out of the TC. The pan temp is the fluid before it gets to the TC.
I don't know the difference in temps, but I know some guys on here do.
I would rather want to know the hottest temp, than a temp that doesn't help me.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:43 AM

i had an similar situation.. i wanted to install my tranny temp unit and took it to a local Tranny shop... well they did such a hacked job they first drilled a whole and then welded in a brass nut the size of the fitting of the sensor to it and then brazed it to not leak. then i picked it up droove it for a few day s i started to see tranny fluid leaking so i took it back.. they tell me that the nut cracked at all the welds around the nut because they tryed to weld steel and brass together.. so i am like fine just fix it and refill the tranny with fluid so they do.. this time they welded in a nut that look steel but i think it was stainless steel or something like zinc coated i am not sure.. cause a few days goes on and it started to leak again.. i am like *** and i call up there and they try to tell me that apparently i bottomed out or something it should not be cracking at the welds.. so i am like *** ever and i go to the parts store buy some JB weld and i mix it and then gobbed it over the pan around the nut and over the edge of the nut slightly and it has yet to leaked since then......i think all in all i spent more money driving back and forth to the shop and waiting then i originally paid them to do it.....
So now on i try to do all the work on my truck myself.. if i dont know how i learn and then do it carefully....