Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Local Diesel Performance Shop butchered my Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Local Diesel Performance Shop butchered my Truck!

Here's the story. Had guages put in about 8 - 10 months ago. Guy told me he could install the temp probe for the trans in the line already there. That is what I wanted, didn't want pan drilled and welded.

I go there to pick the truck up, pan was drilled and welded, said he couldn't find port he was thinking of, they must have changed it on him when model year changed. Oh well, no biggie.

Fast fwd to present. I realized recently I was losing tranny fluid. Crawl under there, and it seems to be leaking around where the bung is welded to the pan. I make an appointment, take it in. He humms and haws when I get there, says th hoist is tied up with another job. I volunteer to come back today. Go in there today, he finds that the weld itself is leaking, so, trans pan has to come off and be re-brazed.

Guess he's not much of a welder (nor am I), as he has so much flame on the torch, the pan is disintegrating every time he puts heat to it. Brazed area keeps getting bigger and bigger...

He finally turns the heat down, and gets the thing so it might hold fluid. Just to be sure, he coats it with RTV silicone.

While I watch, he re-installs the pan, and refills trans with fluid. All is well (sort of). I leave ****** off that he did such a <edit for language> job, but at least he didn't charge me.

I get home, and want to take a closer look at the hack job. I check the pan bolts, and one I can turn it with my fingers . I grab a ratchet and socket, climb back under the truck, AND NOW I FIND THAT IT IS STRIPPED IN THE TRANS CASE!!! . You can't tell me you don't notice that it doesn't tighten up when you are re-installing the pan!!! ****!!! I'm mad as <edit for language>.

I call the guy up, tell him I discovered the problem. He says "Oh....well bring it in, and we'll have to put a heli-coil on it". I don't think so Tim! That guys days of wrenching on my truck are over. Just proves - If you want something done right, do it yourself.

So now I'm in a pickle. The $$ I had saved for injectors will have to be spent at the local tranny shop getting this mess fixed.

Here's my plan at this point:
- There is a local tranny shop that has done work for me in the past, and I know they do quality work.
- I Called them, they think they have a used trans pan I can buy for $30 or so.
- Get them to install used pan and remove temp sender.
- Now I need a place to install sender. I'm thinking I will either use the NAPA $10 method, or go to dealer and pick up the cooler line with the sensor port already built in, depends on $$. I've eliminated using any of the test ports after doing some research on the net, and reading over at the DTT forums.

Thanks for listening (reading). Feel free to add any suggestions to end my nightmare...

for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM

Yea, That sucks when you pay someone to do a professional job and find out you could have done it better yourself. I have paid for work and then later redid the same job the right way!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Why not go ahead & get a PML or Magtec pan now while you have it off?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

FWIW, I've got 2 strippe pan bolts on mine and it's holding just fine.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Tell us how you really feel....

Is sad how many shops out there dont really have a clue...
Old 10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why throw good money for a stock pan? Put it toward a PML or Magtec. Check out the link.

http://www.yourcovers.com/
Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Mopar cooler line

Go with the Mopar cooler line and get an accurate reading and be done with it. Add a Mag-Hytec and you're set!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Looking for a quick fix. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ber=VULCAN_VTA I just installed one of these on an 01 truck. Very clean install and cheap fix. You can also get them from Eric at Vulcan.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM

Get one of these

I know it says 3rd generation but Dave at DieselManor says it fits 2002.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG3.asp

Bob
Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
FWIW, I've got 2 strippe pan bolts on mine and it's holding just fine.
Your tranny never should have lasted like it did I wish I had your luck!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM

My apologies for the "cuss words" in the original post. I have been "reminded" not to do that again...

Anyway, I'm still spitting nails mad. I'll check out the links provided. I have looked into a Mag-Hytec pan, but by the time I got one across the border, it's pushing $400 .
Old 10-23-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mbfarms
Looking for a quick fix. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ber=VULCAN_VTA I just installed one of these on an 01 truck. Very clean install and cheap fix. You can also get them from Eric at Vulcan.
Thanks for the help - this looks interesting. Where are the tranny cooler lines rubber where this would fit in? I have been under there a lot as of late , and I only see steel lines. Is it further up under the hood?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ib516
My apologies for the "cuss words" in the original post. I have been "reminded" not to do that again...

Anyway, I'm still spitting nails mad. I'll check out the links provided. I have looked into a Mag-Hytec pan, but by the time I got one across the border, it's pushing $400 .
Call Pier's. I don't see a pan listed for the 47RE, but I'm sure they can get them for you, and it will probably be cheaper than getting it south of the border.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I bet some good member from the DTR will send you a tranny pan for free. You pay the shipping. I threw my stocker away when I got my mag-hytec. When I was in DTT shop about 3 years ago they had at least 20 stock pans piled up. Most people leave with there with a mag-hytec pan and don't even want the stocker! I also got the transmission line with the temp port from DTT. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
30.00 is not bad for a pan at all. Of course free would be better. That T from Geno's is the most economical, that's for sure. If I would have known about tat 5 yrs ago, I would have bought that 10.00 part rather than my 90.00 line.

Quick Reply: Local Diesel Performance Shop butchered my Truck!