Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

a little vent about part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a little vent about part numbers

I bought a set of 3" BDS coil spacers about two months ago and just now got the truck in the shop to install a pile of front end stuff.
Mechanic calls me to tell me the buckets are for a 1500 not a 2500 and they wont snug up to the spring seats, they just pull the threads out of the aluminum.
Now thats totally my own fault for not looking up the part number and trusting the seller of the spacers to know the difference.
Moral of the story is check your part numbers and fit before taking things apart, thought Id try to save someone else the grief.
Im headed down to the shop tonight to have a look and see what my options are.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought they were the same
Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Hey Kawi what did you end up doing in total? I have been thinking that I would get around to doing this but when the front end needed attention. Well that time is growing near because I am getting some pull on the wheel and the tight feeling is know longer there plus there is a small clunking noise from under the right front. What is your plan and what parts are you getting?? I am going to do all of this myself and I'm not sure what is involved and what tools will be needed? Feel free guy's to help out with any info,tools etc...

Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 PM

I went with don thurens awesome control arms for 3-5" lifted trucks, a thuren 0-3" trackbar, bilstein +3" lifted shocks and 3" coil spacers which apparently arent the right ones. Im going to ask the shop to order some +3" springs for me.
Man Im still ticked about the spring spacers =(

Lukes link the pitman and tie rod ends.. but Id get a DSS and thuren trackbar. If you have oversize tires Id get a good quality dual steering damper.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM

Nope know lift and just a tad bigger than the stock sneakers. Ok what about ball joints and the sterring damper? This is a do it your self operation and money is not there for the most part so I was thinking about the middle of the road on the parts price wise. What about tools? What type of tools will I need? Thanks again.........
Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 PM

If you do ball joints Id get TRW's at least. I have a set of the cheaper stuff if you want to buy it, 30$ for a set of 4 but you wont like em. theyre some no-name chinese brand with poor QC
Id look into renting a press / receiver cup combo to do the balljoints. Youll need a circlip tool to get the clips out too.
Its a shame its so cold now Id help you out =(
Best I have here is a driveway and a kerosene heater, thus the trucks in the shop. too big a job in this weather =(
Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM

I more than likley will wait until the spring if I can it's a bit to cold for me also! It's bad enough being on the roof while I am working! I think I might go with the lukes links,third ge4n Track bar,and make up my own sterring stabilizer,and the ball joints will be the best since they are such a you know what to do!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you find when you went down to the shop? EVERY coil spacer that I have seen sold fits 1500 through 3500 models. The spring buckets are the same on all of these models, which leads me to believe that there was either installer error (pulling the threads out of the aluminum) or they got you the right part and it ended up being out of spec. Might want to look into this as you could get some money back somewhere.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Actually BDS does indeed have two different part numbers and theres not much I can do to find out whats different besides buying the other type
Might be installer error I need to go look for myself honestly.
For now Im looking at +3" coils to do the job right.