Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Liquid Cooled Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Liquid Cooled Intercooler

Has anyone in the phoenix area or at all heard about a pxrd-liquid cooled intercooler system of some sort?

its suppose to
cut turbo lag by large amounts
lower intake air temps
and give you better gas mileage.

any info would be great.
thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM

if i remember correctly there was a thread on competition diesel and one of the guys was quoted like 4000 for a stage 1 and 6000 for a stage 2 i thought that was just a little over priced.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A system like this won't appreciably decrease lag at all-- that's a point on which I'll raise the marketing flag (BS, I think it's called).

jh
Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM

if i remember correctly garrett just received one and he loves it. he says the truck starts to spool faster and overall better turbo manners. ill wait for him to come in to confirm.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM

99-- you know that Petaluma is the home of Mesa/Boogie amplifiers?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 99globalwarmer
if i remember correctly garrett just received one and he loves it. he says the truck starts to spool faster and overall better turbo manners. ill wait for him to come in to confirm.

I'm guessing there's more to this setup than just an air/water CAC??
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99globalwarmer
ya , I have been runnin one for three years now and it cools why better and temps come back down about as fast as you let off the go pedal but as for the rest of the comments I would just say.... you just spent a couple grand on it your gonna think it made a big difference

and it would be very much unstreetable since once you heat saturate the water your all done ( and that only takes a couple hard pedal mashes).

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM

do they have a website or anything? does anyone have one?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Heres the link to Garretts post
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=15528
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I can see how a water/air unit MIGHT helps spoolup a TINY bit if the previous air-air unit was clogged or otherwise low performance. Because the water absorbs more heat, the airflow is less restricted comparatively.

But initially spoolup with a water/air unit is probably going to be a hair worse, because water/air units actually HEAT the air at low pressures. In fact, you're basically not getting ANY intercooling effect at boost pressures below 7psi or so because the water is hotter than the air flowing through it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Seems to me that spool up would be quicker. My buddy has a air to water after cooler on his sand buggy. He's running a 2.5 Suburu. He's pushing 500 pony's before the NOS.
The first photo is of the inline aftercooler. Second photo is of the electric water pump. The third and forth are of the aftercooler radiator, which sits above the main radiator. The the last is of the turbo.
His system was relatively cheap to build. So it is possible, in a larger scale of course.
Attached Thumbnails Liquid Cooled Intercooler-misc.-003.jpg   Liquid Cooled Intercooler-misc.-005.jpg   Liquid Cooled Intercooler-misc.-006.jpg   Liquid Cooled Intercooler-misc.-007.jpg   Liquid Cooled Intercooler-misc.-004.jpg  

Old 10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Seems to me that spool up would be quicker. My buddy has a air to water after cooler on his sand buggy. He's running a 2.5 Suburu. He's pushing 500 pony's before the NOS.
The first photo is of the inline aftercooler. Second photo is of the electric water pump. The third and forth are of the aftercooler radiator, which sits above the main radiator. The the last is of the turbo.
His system was relatively cheap to build. So it is possible, in a larger scale of course.
you guys gonna be at glamis thanksgiving?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM

But initially spoolup with a water/air unit is probably going to be a hair worse, because water/air units actually HEAT the air at low pressures. In fact, you're basically not getting ANY intercooling effect at boost pressures below 7psi or so because the water is hotter than the air flowing through it.[/QUOTE]

for what garret is doing (sled pullin) it is the best set up. as for the not cooling below 7psi well with ice water running throught it i'm sure it 's a little cooler. The spool up has been alot better with this setup, we have been having problems with that eairly this year. The better spooling has to do with the shorter and less restriction, the old intercooler after warm up would be so heat soaked that the truck would not spool the turbo on the line, hose it down with water the better it would spool. Now this set up is for one run external raditor, will be adding one so he can play on the street some times. I am sure glad that i am better at building stuff then typing. stupied spell check dosen't work.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 PM

thanks joker i spoke with garrett this morning and he said he liked the new cooler. i think thats great are you going to texas this october.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 PM

Garret is, I have to work. and try to finish other projects. ( new house new honey do list) When he is at pull its the only time that i'm not working on it, kind of alone time for me.

Quick Reply: Liquid Cooled Intercooler