Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Light mods, but still keeping stock turbo??....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Light mods, but still keeping stock turbo??....

Ok, I've got an 01, and a few times I coulda really used it for hauling some good sized loads when my 06 was down, or being used, etc. Not many times it happens, I would use it maybe 12 times a year to pull a good load, I'm looking at a few mods to make it less of a burden. Hauling maybe 20k# I had another 01 that had a BD torque dog and loved it!....soo I'm gonna do the TD, was thinking maybe small injectors, 50hp, and I can turn the TD down or off when pulling or adjust it as I go and need it. But I wanna use the stock turbo for at least another year or so while having these mods, as far as towing some, would that be an ok setup, or would that be pushing too much? What about using the injectors for towing, the TD off, then not towing, turn it on just for more get and go and fun? I obviously know I gotta upgrade the fuel system, got that covered already. I'm just trying to figure out, as far as power goes, what's a good starter? Gonna try to find used, inj, already located a used TD. Ohh and the other obvious, some gauges, I got that covered too. Anything else, it's a standard, and on the stock clutch im pretty sure, so I'll tear that one up then replace. Thanks guys!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM

think of fuel supply. either stock or slightly modded the lift pumps stock are a joke. many brands of fuel pumps out there to look at. also pending your need but if your towing a set of airbags in the back will not hurt one bit. not to bad on price. I would stay away from nozzles/tips all I have seen is them to run hotter and give just a little bit of extra power. some smaller F1 Mach's I would look for used they are great run cooler and get what you pay for and expect out of power. the boxes/fueling/timing. its up to you. many to choose from. downloaders as well. I like my combo but it more than what your looking for. make sure one of those gauges if a fuel pressure gauge. maybe just some simple used injectors. do some gauges bags. and TLC on the drivetrain where needed. trac-bar. tie rods ball joints etc. no reason to dump alot of money into something you will use maybe once a month.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 AM

I ran an EZ and DD2's for a couple of years and it was fine for towing and all around driving. You don't need a fancy fuel pump, the stocker is fine, just relocate it down to the frame.

EGT's were never an issue unless you were really abusing it but overall it was a nice package.

I stepped up to Mach 1.75's and a Smarty and the drive ability was night and day, still using the stock Carter lift pump. Eventually I stepped up to a PDR35 turbo for a little more air over the stock HX35. Tows 15-17,000 lbs like nothing.

Over 200,000 miles on it now and still runs strong.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM

I plan on doing all the gauges I need, already got the bags. I will be doing a lift pump. Maybe some work to the drivetrain. I don't plan to dump a ton of money into it, but ill have this truck a long time, make it a pleasure to drive so maybe ill keep miles off my 06 lol. I only drive the 01 like maybe 10k a year...maybe lol. Soo I don't mind puttin the money into it, some for fun, mostly for making it more practical to tow with when I need. Scares me to stick with the stock lift pump, I've heard some get away with it, some don't and costs a lot of money later to replace the vp44, this will be my 2nd...2nd gen to mod out, my 3rd gen is nicely modded, but now I'm stoppin that one, and doing this lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Homestead
I ran an EZ and DD2's for a couple of years and it was fine for towing and all around driving. You don't need a fancy fuel pump, the stocker is fine, just relocate it down to the frame.

EGT's were never an issue unless you were really abusing it but overall it was a nice package.

I stepped up to Mach 1.75's and a Smarty and the drive ability was night and day, still using the stock Carter lift pump. Eventually I stepped up to a PDR35 turbo for a little more air over the stock HX35. Tows 15-17,000 lbs like nothing.

Over 200,000 miles on it now and still runs strong.

Jeff
Stock lift pump is fine mounted to the frame, but you can get a Carter off the shelf for way cheaper ($100 vs $240 give or take) that is basically the same pump with npt fittings.

But it's a really good idea to take the load off the stock failure prone lift pump relay that lives *inside the pcm* by wiring in a relay to run the pump.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 AM

I've been happy with some mild injectors (DD1's) , Edge EZ (actually DD's version), 4" exhaust and S&B intake. I roll up to 23K and push a lot of air. On a long grade I can get the EGT's a little hot. Back off just a smidge and they stay in control. If you have grades, seriously consider an exhaust brake.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM

on the towing thing, search "3rd gen brakes on a 2nd gen" huge improvement in stopping power for really cheap parts, especially if you can score some cheap 3rd gen rims.

I had jammer II and EZ, towed nicely, mind you it was only a 5000# 5th wheel and I did have the crappy HY turbo, I'd vote for an adjustable box(Edge juice for example) with this and what ever injectors you get you can adjust power/heat on the fly, and or the box will automatically defuel to keep EGT's in check, and warn you if your fuel pressure is low or you have exceeded any pre-set parameters