Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

lifting it

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifting it

well guys i think im going to lift my truck next week, im thinking im going to go with the topgun 5 inch lift, wanted to see if everyone that has lifted these trucks had and advise on doing them,and if anyone happens to have a pics of single cab duallys lifted. also was wondering what everyone that has a single cab has done for step bars or anything like that i really dont like the idea of drilling into my rocker pannel to mount it so wondered if anyone has a better thought.

thanks everyone

chris
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM

come on guys help me out here
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Id suggest maybe doing a search on the forum.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM

well guys this post didnt get the responce i thought it would but i ended up with a custom 6 inch lift setup from top gun, im going to go long arm with adjustable track bar and bilstein steering stabilizer, and progresive coils in the front with a shackle drop in the rear, im pretty excited to do all this its going to be pretty sweet, and if i ever want to go bigger i got a great setup to do it. i will be posting pics of everything as i do it and that stuff if yall would like.

chris
Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Make your own step bars? Mount them to the frame, much stiffer. Nfab are nice looking units.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 PM

this is what I did for the step bars they are overkill and welded to the frame
Attached Thumbnails lifting it-44.jpg   lifting it-33.jpg   lifting it-coating.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 PM

Advice on putting lift on? Should be pretty straight forward kit. The old control arms can be a pain getting off, sometimes bolts get pretty seized in there. Make sure ya get a good pitman arm puller, Brake lines should be ok although you may have to mod the bracket some on front to be long enough. You prob need a carrier bearing drop bracket (if your truck has a carrier bearing, prob not on reg cab) And also if it doesn't come in kit, you may need indexing ring for t-case. I seen guy's grind on d-shaft, but the joint wont last long. Post pic's, should look pretty sweet when done!!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 PM

j stone, i have looked at the nfab i think i may do those but im not sure how they mount do you know?, dieselwrks those looks sweet i really like em, wish i could make some like that but i dont have the place where i could or the resources to make em, and smokenram how will i know if i need a indexing ring im not really sure what that is to be honest with you, and where do i get it?... and i will deff post pics im pretty excited
Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get some pics up as soon as you can! Lifted duallys are sweet! And a regular cab at that? Killer!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 PM

The indexing ring will clock your transfer case so your front d-shaft is not a bad angle and doesn't bind up. basically pull case, put this ring on that rotates the case mounting so the yoke for front shaft is lower. I always thought like anything bigger than 5in ya need one. It will be close with yours, prob ok, but guys that offroad sometimes get in bad angles where the axle will drop therefor making your shaft angle at a steep angle. the shaft will knuckel over if angle gets too steep. If it was me, i'd put the lift all on, then lift truck up at the frame so your susp is extended. put case in N then see if you can spin by hand freely. check your clearences at the double joint make sure it doesn't touch. I had 7in on ,mine and needed one. trucks back down to stock, i have my old one if you end up needing one or interested. Or Sky jacker sells them
Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SmokenRam
The indexing ring will clock your transfer case so your front d-shaft is not a bad angle and doesn't bind up. basically pull case, put this ring on that rotates the case mounting so the yoke for front shaft is lower. I always thought like anything bigger than 5in ya need one. It will be close with yours, prob ok, but guys that offroad sometimes get in bad angles where the axle will drop therefor making your shaft angle at a steep angle. the shaft will knuckel over if angle gets too steep. If it was me, i'd put the lift all on, then lift truck up at the frame so your susp is extended. put case in N then see if you can spin by hand freely. check your clearences at the double joint make sure it doesn't touch. I had 7in on ,mine and needed one. trucks back down to stock, i have my old one if you end up needing one or interested. Or Sky jacker sells them
oh ok thanks for the advise, i will do that, and if i end up needing one i will deff message u and see what we can work out.

i appreciate all the help guys, im will make sure i post pics
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 PM

with my 6inch lift I did not need a index ring. this is a long bed xtra cab. I did need if I remmeber right need to make about a 1inch drop piece for the carrier bearing. have u decided what you are going to use for a trac bar. may be good idea to look at a adjustable 3rd gen style. I a have been problem free with the dt pro-fabs trac bar for 3 years now.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
with my 6inch lift I did not need a index ring. this is a long bed xtra cab. I did need if I remmeber right need to make about a 1inch drop piece for the carrier bearing. have u decided what you are going to use for a trac bar. may be good idea to look at a adjustable 3rd gen style. I a have been problem free with the dt pro-fabs trac bar for 3 years now.
yea im going to do a adjustable trac bar soon, im doin the lift in stages. stage 1- front springs/rear lift/ drop brackets for all and short arm control arms, stage 2- adj track bar and bilstein steering stabilizer,stage 3- long arm control arms. and im done kinda was the only way i could afford to do it this summer, it really helped break up the cost.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM

alright boys and girls prob going to be starting the lift this weekend, been really busy and i havent been able to get to it yet, will post somt pics of all the components i got, and a before, after, and some during pics just wanted to keep everyone updated, expect some pics tomorrow
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 PM

ahem. I am considering a 5" skyjacker for my 02. VR coils etc etc. are these lifts any good?

Quick Reply: lifting it