Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which lift coils to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caper......mine went right in. No grinding necessary.

BA Ram....Coil Spring Specialties http://www.coilsprings.com/
Old 04-21-2005, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by caper
I got the CSS springs sittting here in front of me. About to put them in.They weigh a ton. They told me I have to grind the bottom of the spring where it goes into the seat because the 1 inch wire is too big for the seat.This will make me very unhappy if I got the truck tore apart and have to break out the mini grinder. Any one have experance installin them????
I think there is some confusion here. Are these springs the same??

Custom Suspension - http://customsuspension.com/store/pr...roducts_id=753

Coil Spring Specialties: http://www.coilsprings.com
Old 04-21-2005, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
I think there is some confusion here...
That is the understatement of the year!! (Oh, wait were you talking about this site or just this thread?)

can I put that in my signature (quoting you of course Dr. E)?
~Rob
Old 04-21-2005, 09:28 AM

Nope... two different companies. One is located in BC, Canada and the CSS company that Cowhand and I are talking about is located in Kansas.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the ones from BC. They better work or I,m gona snap.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:36 AM

He caper,
Let me now how the srings work. I would be able to go pick them up realy easy. If they don't work so well the other ones fron Kansas I would think will be my choice.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:56 PM

Installed my CSS custom coils (from the Kansas company) on Saturday with new Bilstein 5100s. 5% softer and 2" taller were my requirements.

Wow... awesome... much improved... love it... want to go drive down some rough roads just to impress myself some more...

The CSS springs were a bit over 19" tall in the box and I took a pic of them against the OEM springs which were #39's BTW and the new springs were just about 2" taller than stock. We used a spring compressor to bring them down to 17" so they would slide into the perches. The 1" thick wire did NOT cause any problems... just slid right in.

The ride is great... I can hit expansion joints and bumps and definitely feel a difference. If I had to do it all over again, I may even go softer... maybe 10% softer than the stock 38/39 I had. But I love it and expect to be happy for a long time.

One thing to note, the height of my truck after install was actually about 2.25" taller than before. I really didn't want anything over 2", but I am hoping they settle the quarter-inch over the next year or so. Also, my axle was pulled to the drivers side no more than 1/2 inch. I am running the stock trackbar, but eventually I think I will upgrade to the Thuren trackbar which I could adjust.

Thanks to Cowhand who shared lots of information with me on spring / shock rates and steered me to these coils at this rate from CSS.

No pics yet, hope to have what I took developed and scanned in within a week or two.

Steve
Old 04-25-2005, 03:41 PM

Told ya...

Wait til you put the Thuren track bar on....
Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 PM

I am running the Skyjacker coils, and theya re not the best. I was considering getting rid of those coils and haivng a custom spring builder bend some up for me at my rates, and everything. I was then going to get rid of the trac bar altogether by fabbing my own long arm kit for the front of the dodge. I can build a Long arm kin in a few days, and wll never have to deal with the trac bar again. If there is wnough triangulation, I am good ot go.

When driving, I get all aorts of snap crackle and pop fron this truck.

Dima
Old 04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

What do you know now Phox that you didn't know when you bought your lift? I have been running my for almost two years now and I have had no problems whatsoever. They're not sagging, no squeaks, and ride decent in the front. The rear is stiff but that's pretty normal for truck. That Kore stuff is overpriced unless you really plan on running your truck across Baja at 120mph lol. I'd just skip the whole beat the hell out of my $50K truck thing and buy a buggy if that is what I was into...
Old 04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really the only thing is the harshness of the ride.
I don't want a cadillac like ride, but something a little less kidney beating for daily driving.

Custom coils, longer arms, rear leaf pack instead of the add-a-leaf, better shocks.

I still recommend the Skyjacker kit for the first time lifter though.

phox
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Flatty
I am running the Skyjacker coils, and theya re not the best. I was considering getting rid of those coils and haivng a custom spring builder bend some up for me at my rates, and everything. I was then going to get rid of the trac bar altogether by fabbing my own long arm kit for the front of the dodge. I can build a Long arm kin in a few days, and wll never have to deal with the trac bar again. If there is wnough triangulation, I am good ot go.

When driving, I get all aorts of snap crackle and pop fron this truck.

Dima
A long arm suspension won't let you get rid of the track bar. Triangulated or not, losing the track bar will result in horrible bump steer.

Already talked to several fabricators about it, and unless you are prepared to go to a fore/aft drag link like the solid axle Toyotas or old Dodges, it won't work. Might have a hard time converting the steering, the fore/aft drag link setup was used on leaf sprung trucks, no coil in the way.

Much easier and way more economical to go with a good aftermarket track bar.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by duke1n
What do you know now Phox that you didn't know when you bought your lift? I have been running my for almost two years now and I have had no problems whatsoever. They're not sagging, no squeaks, and ride decent in the front. The rear is stiff but that's pretty normal for truck. That Kore stuff is overpriced unless you really plan on running your truck across Baja at 120mph lol. I'd just skip the whole beat the hell out of my $50K truck thing and buy a buggy if that is what I was into...
My SJ kit was fine for the first two years....after 3 I started having alignment issues and the springs started sagging. After four years I couldn't keep it aligned for more than a week or two.

After 4 1/2 years, it's sitting in a pile with my stock ex manifold and stock tie rods. Poly bushings and heims are shot.....when I pulled the control arms off, the metal sleeves fell out of the poly bushings.

I second what phox said....SJ is one of the better off the shelf kits. DT Products is coming out with a 4"-5" kit pretty soon, complete with arms, coils, Bilstein shocks, and a re-designed track bar. It should be competitively priced with the upper end SJ kit, and performance and strength wise it will blow the doors off of any bolt on kit out there.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cowhand
My SJ kit was fine for the first two years....after 3 I started having alignment issues and the springs started sagging. After four years I couldn't keep it aligned for more than a week or two.

After 4 1/2 years, it's sitting in a pile with my stock ex manifold and stock tie rods. Poly bushings and heims are shot.....when I pulled the control arms off, the metal sleeves fell out of the poly bushings.

I second what phox said....SJ is one of the better off the shelf kits. DT Products is coming out with a 4"-5" kit pretty soon, complete with arms, coils, Bilstein shocks, and a re-designed track bar. It should be competitively priced with the upper end SJ kit, and performance and strength wise it will blow the doors off of any bolt on kit out there.
Yeah, I skipped the heims for that very reason. Something else to wear out. I drive my truck on the street and don't flex it other than going over an occasional curb so didn't see the need. We shall see... I was under mine the other night installing the DSS and looked around while greasing it. Still looks pretty tight to me. The DSS seemed like it tightened up a little when hitting bumps and such. Nothing major but definitely helped.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 PM

duke,

What are you running for a track bar?

Keep an eye on the poly bushings/sleeves, my bushings hardened up and they actually had more slop than the heims. They should be cheap to replace when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Which lift coils to use?