Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

leveling kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leveling kits

would like some advice on leveling kits.do you need to realign the front end and should you get longer shocks?also what is involved in installing,spring compressor?and what are the advantages of steel or plastic.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend Steel. Have heard several reports of Neoprene levelers not holding up...long term. Best quality I've seen is here... http://www.hellbentsteel.com/dodge/dodge-lift-kit.html

No alignment or longer shocks needed with 2" Kit. Bilstein makes a 2" longer travel shock if your needing shocks anyway but don't know anyone that needed or ended up using them. I know no one expiriencing problems or different feel using stock shocks.

It's a two hr job. Best to have extra set of hands. Spring compressor would make it a lot easier to get the 2" taller spring back in place. If not, a bottle jack will do the trick, with a pry bar and a good heavy hammer.

RJ
Old 01-14-2006, 12:36 PM

I bought my spacers from Hellbent Steel as well. I recommend Steel over Poly, with the weight of our trucks you'll need the extra....... I also rented a spring compressor from Autozone and actual labor involved was only a couple of hours but I did a lot of running around trying to find a bigger compressor. The one from autozone looked to be too small and was making me nervous but it was the one that finally worked Just take your time and be careful. I also got the Dual shock mount, after all was said and done made for a nice ride, better than new!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 AM

I think steel is the best way, I did not realign and the tires are wearing fine. If you disconnect the sway bar the axle will drop down further and you won't need the spring compressor, makes the job much easier. I have the longer shocks but I don't think you need them with w/ 2in lift.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:18 AM

Ok well I found a 3 inch leveling kit and I would like to know if I will need new shocks for that or not. Also does anyone have pics or something that I could look at, because I will not be able to use my shop for this job ( NOT IN AZ RIGHT NOW) it will be a back yard job which means I will be using the tool at autozone.