Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Leveling Kit and Hummer H2 wheels/tires installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there again, I went to moparfest this weekend in New Hamburg, Lots of nice cars, lots of good dealers and swaps, picked up a new hubcap to replace my slightly discoloured one. Anyways, they were giving away Tri-Ads which is a newspaper for Ontario that is all classifieds and free to advertise so you get all kinds of good stuff. I found myself 5 Hummer H2 Rims and Tires with less than 1000 km on them for $1000 CAD. I am going to look further into it and try to pick them up for $800. Which to me is a **** good deal. For just the tires at a local shop, it was $330 a peice. So it looks as if I might be getting this set after all, plus a Full Size Spare! . Anyways, to make these fit on my truck, I just need to bore out the hole to 4.75" right? And also, would these tires be alright to run in the winter, I need a new set of winter tires anyways, and as much as I dont want to run those nice rims in the winter, I might have too, would they be good for snow, or too wide? Thanks

-Jared
Old 08-23-2004, 10:49 PM

Looks great, i just got a set of h2 wheels and tires and will be doing the same thing soon. Did you do anything with the rear springs? Did you keep the stock control arms? Ive got a set of d25 springs for the front and am wondering if i should go with longer arms.
thanks, Matt
Old 08-24-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joefarmer
Found one! Last 4.75" one on the shelves at the last shop on my list. Four days of searching took the sting out of the $64 invoice.

brandon.
Isn't it going to be tough getting it centered correctly using a hole saw?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by jfpointer
Isn't it going to be tough getting it centered correctly using a hole saw?
Hi Jim!

Actually, nope. I bolted a 2x6 board to the back of the wheel and used the existing 4.5" wheel hole to center the hole saws pilot drill on the board. After drilling, smooth it up with a die grinder. I was worried that the hole would be too big, but there was grinding required to enlarge the hole for each wheel. Mine are on! Perfectly balanced too!

brandon.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:40 PM

Man, I never knew it took a computer genius to put on wheels and tires, but the fact that Brandon did it, WHEW, what a shocker. It just amazes me that I'm going to the same school that taught him "all he knows"

HeHe

makingfunofbrandonbecausehistruckisnowsomuchcooler thanmine
Chris

BTW, for those of you who were actually contributing real knowledge to this thread (Brandon included), Sorry, but I had to do it.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by signature600
Man, I never knew it took a computer genius to put on wheels and tires, but the fact that Brandon did it, WHEW, what a shocker.
By the time you get done with school Chris, you can put tires on too!

The college asked me to come back in september to help them to re-evaluate the current curriculum. I'm gonna tell them there's not enough diesel trucks!!

Back on topic... Drove the truck 50 miles today and liked it for the most part. It pulls a little left so I bumped the front tire pressures to the max rated - 50psi. What sort of pressure is everyone else running in the H2's?

brandon.

I'll be pulling at the fairfield county fair. We came down to circleville, but it had to be titled in pickaway county to pull.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:23 AM

I'm running 50psi. I also went ahead and had the front end aligned. It wasn't off much, but it was off.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 AM

Those look sweeeet. But the stock H2 tires won't fit unless there is at least a leveling kit on the truck right? I calculated those to be 34.6", it seems like anything past 33" has a problem rubbing up front at full steering lock on a non-lifted truck.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by joefarmer
Hi Jim!

Actually, nope. I bolted a 2x6 board to the back of the wheel and used the existing 4.5" wheel hole to center the hole saws pilot drill on the board. After drilling, smooth it up with a die grinder. I was worried that the hole would be too big, but there was grinding required to enlarge the hole for each wheel. Mine are on! Perfectly balanced too!

brandon.
Sounds cool. I was imagining a set of four eccentric cams bolted to the axles. It'd be like riding on the whip of a Kitchenaid blender...
Old 08-25-2004, 05:51 PM

I second BoostdCTDs question, I am probably going to buy 5 H2 Tires and wheels that I seen in the paper, will they fit without rubbing, and if they dont, is the rubbing that bad, or is it only during a full lock. Thanks again for the info, I can get over how great these tires and rims look.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:09 PM

It's a little hard to say sometimes what will or will not rub, since it seems that each truck varies a little. For example, I had 285/75's on my 1500 without a leveling kit, and it never rubbed at all--other people say they get a rub with that size on 1500's.

With that said, given the width of those H2 tires, they'll probably rub without leveling, and might even if you do put a leveling kit on there. I'm not sure what offset those H2 wheels have, but that could be a contributing factor as well.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
Those look sweeeet. But the stock H2 tires won't fit unless there is at least a leveling kit on the truck right? I calculated those to be 34.6", it seems like anything past 33" has a problem rubbing up front at full steering lock on a non-lifted truck.
I tried to get mine to rub flexing in my friend's driveway -- I have no leveling kit. I cannot get them to rub on a moderate incline at full lock (one front tire 14-16" above the other side). I'm pretty sure it would rub if I could flex more, but I'm not sure that it would be something to worry about. The first place it would rub is the middle rear of the plastic fender liner. I think the truck looks dead sexy, but I'm biased.

brandon.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:22 PM

Hey there joe famer, that does look really good, My truck will look very close to that except for without the quad cab. I see you left your hummer hubcaps on though, I think I am going to just put my stock hubcaps on (proud of that ram!) anyways, great looking truck and thanks for the good news about not rubbing, I think it has alot to do with how the trucks life was. My truck is a 94 and sits quite a bit higher than my dads 96 which is the exact same model and everything, only he uses his to two 18000+ and also uses it to survey fields which really works the suspension. Anyways, I am hoping to pick up the tires before this weekend so I can have them on for Cayuga to show off to the other CTDs .

-Jared
Old 08-31-2004, 05:04 PM

Well, got the wheels, Measured the hub, it is 4.83". So the wheels doesnt quite fit on, What are some methods of making them fit, I see there is a ridge about an 1/8th or more around the inside of the hummer rim that I was thinking If I could just grind that off then they would fit. I was thinking about just taking a die grinder to it but with such a small tool, I dont want to leave the hole not a perfect circle. What are some methods out there for making them fit?
Old 08-31-2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by diesel_kid
Well, got the wheels, Measured the hub, it is 4.83". So the wheels doesnt quite fit on, What are some methods of making them fit, I see there is a ridge about an 1/8th or more around the inside of the hummer rim that I was thinking If I could just grind that off then they would fit. I was thinking about just taking a die grinder to it but with such a small tool, I dont want to leave the hole not a perfect circle. What are some methods out there for making them fit?

The hole from the side looks like this:
___
XXX| < - - - - - 4.75" - - - - - - -> lXXXX
XXXL_
XXXXXl < - - - 4.5" - - - - - -> lXXXXX
XXXXXl
XXXX/
XXX/
XX/
X/
/

You need to make it look like this:
___
XXXl < - - - - - 4.775" - - - - - - -> lXXXX
XXXl
XXXl < - - - - - 4.775" - - - - - - -> lXXXXX
XXXl
XXXl
XXXl
XX/
X/
/

In other words, the part above the lip that's 4.75" diameter will need to be slightly polished out to fit.

I used a 4.75" holesaw on a low speed 1/2" drive drill. I bolted a 2x6 board to the back side of the tire (thru the lugs) and centered the 4.75" holesaw in the 4.75" face of the wheel. Drilled the pilot hole in board, extended the pilot bit and made the pilot hole deeper. Ran the holesaw through the wheel, then polished it up a little with a die grinder.

brandon.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit and Hummer H2 wheels/tires installed!!!