Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Level Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level Ride

I would like to level my truck-Should I raise the front with new coils or lower the back. IT seems a little bouncy on the interstate so maybe new coils would help-If I use longer coils does anything else have to be changed or replaced-It only has 7,000 miles on it-Thanks for the help
Old 02-15-2003, 08:21 AM

Re:Level Ride

9driver,<br>I did some research on this topic here and other forums before I decided how to level my truck out. Basically I found out the two most common ways to level out the truck are to use coil spring spacers with the existing springs, with this method you do not need to install anything else and get about 2&quot; of lift. There are varying opinions on how this affects ride/handling. <br>The other most common method is to install longer springs and shocks. A lot of people of people put Skyjacker D25 coil springs (2&quot; longer than stock&quot and shocks that have a 2&quot; longer stroke than stock. (That should be all you need for this method, according to 4 Wheel Parts Performance, with a lift of 2.5&quot; or less you should not need to install anything else. If you go taller, you will need a track bar relocation bracket and new control arms among other things). With this combination and the Cummins, you might not get the full 2&quot; of lift but it will be close.<br>I chose the Skyjacker D25 springs and Pro-comp shocks because of the fact that the stock springs will sag more over time (based on experience with my '97 1500) as compared with the D25's.<br>I should get my Skyjackers Monday and will install them pretty soon after that, I can let you know what I think of the combination after the install.<br>What ever you do, get it aligned when you are done.<br>Hope this helps.<br>
Old 02-15-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you tow you dont want to level it . the reason for the front being lower is so that when you load it it rides level<br>
Old 02-15-2003, 02:16 PM

I've used the spacers and the Skyjacker springs and I will say that they both give you the same amount of lift. However, I will also say that the Skyjacker springs greatly improve the ride quality which to me makes them the better choice. <br><br>As for having to add shocks, it doesn't matter which one you choose, since they both give you under 3&quot; of lift. But if you take the truck offroad any at all you will want to add longer shocks because they will bottom out.<br><br>You do not have to run the track bar drop bracket with either *depending on what size tires you run*. I ran 35's with the 2.5&quot; coils and they rubbed only on the passenger side because the wheel was tucked in to the wheel well.<br><br>
Old 02-15-2003, 03:34 PM

I have a shop, we do these kits a few times a year. D25 coils are hit or miss with the height you`ll get. You can rotate the D25 coil in the spring perch and get a difference of 3/8&quot; change depending on position. Spacers which I chose to run are exactly 2&quot;. given you make the coil and put it back in the same way.
You could get longer shocks, Bilstein makes a 5100 series for the 2&quot; lift ( I have them)
The OE shocks won`t bottom out offroad, They might Top Out!
Trailering, Its depends on the type of trailer. 5th wheel I wouldn`t suggest lifting.
I pull a 28' enclosed 9K trailer and the truck still sits level. My truck is still 2&quot; higher in the back. And the stock coils won`t sack for a long time.
Danny
Old 02-15-2003, 04:28 PM
ejb

Do you need any special tools to do this?I assume you need some sort of spring compresser,is that it?Where is the best place to buy the spacers?The cheapest I've found is $129 in JC Whitney.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:31 PM

I got my spacers at www.4wheelparts.com for just under $100 delivered to my door......
Old 02-17-2003, 02:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest and cheapest way to level is to lower the rear end.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:29 PM

[quote author=danlit link=board=5;threadid=11002;start=0#105107 date=1045344867]<br>The OE shocks won`t bottom out offroad, They might Top Out![/quote]<br><br>Whatever....the differential WILL bottom out. The fact is the stock shocks do NOT perform well offroad which is the point I was trying to make.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:01 AM

Guys on the subject of spacers, I been looking for them, the steel spacers are on ebay for 70 bucks,,,they say the steel are better for the added weight of the awesome CTD....I just concerned about the front axle alignment, side to side and pulling it back???????,,Someone said the 2'' spacers will shift the whole axle over 1.5'' to the left?????any comments on that??
Old 11-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 99dieselfumes
Guys on the subject of spacers, I been looking for them, the steel spacers are on ebay for 70 bucks,,,they say the steel are better for the added weight of the awesome CTD....I just concerned about the front axle alignment, side to side and pulling it back???????,,Someone said the 2'' spacers will shift the whole axle over 1.5'' to the left?????any comments on that??
I'm going with the same spacers and was also concerned about geometry so I jacked the front of the truck up 2" to see how it affected the suspension.

Lifting the front only moves things around a 1/4" or so. Not enough to worry about. You would have to go up more than 2" to shift the axle 1.5" over.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:37 PM

leveling = hicks.

If you use your truck for the purpose of a truck, IE weight in the back, or towing something, it looks completely retarded driving with the nose (and NOT SAFE) up in the air due to the back end sagging down with the weight.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 PM

Check these guys for prices

topguncustomz these guys sell on ebay they are located in tenn. and have great prices I think you could get leveling spacers from them for around 80$ buzz me if you need me to round up phone ###
Old 11-12-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My truck is levelled, as are the trucks of many college-educated members.

I disagree that levelled= hicks.

But your point about towing is certainly valid. I don't tow, so I levelled the truck.

jh
Old 11-12-2005, 07:58 PM

mine is level and im not a hick im a redneck hillbilly

Quick Reply: Level Ride