Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Letter from the health department

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
"We have met the enemy, and he is us"
Leave the smokin to the track or we'll all pay.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A town close to me has a new cop thast out to get everybody thats smoking, not only diesels but gassers to. my buddy has a 96 chevy gases pumped to the gills got pulled over last week, got his truck inpounded for no smog equment,to loud,to low. now if he wants to keep driving it he has to go back to stock and have a smog ref sign it off. plus pay a fixet ticket. dont know how much yet. so if you guys live in or drive in oakdale,ca. be careful. iam going to have a muffler put on my ctd this weekend.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 AM

You guys in Cali definitely have it the worst with the darn smog ****'s out there. I've never gotten any complaints from any cops about it but I try not to smoke anyone out unless they are riding my bumper. If someone cuts me off I'll sometimes make it my business to get back in front of them and give 'em the death cloud too.

John
Old 01-27-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
How could you be cited for anything based only on another driver's word? Can you simply say that you saw a Honda Accord going 100mph and he will receive a ticket? Doesn't work that way here.
You’re right about that. A law enforcement officer has to (in most cases) witness a misdemeanor/traffic violation in order to take any type of enforcement. However, they (the issuing agencies) are not necessarily going after the drivers. They’re going after the vehicle.

If you refuse to pay an excessive smoke ticket (I‘ve never heard of that one), the issuing agency will not issue a warrant for you or cancel your DL. They’ll cancel the vehicle registration or impose a fine that must be paid before registering again. It’s just like the red light cameras….Big brother is watching.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by atc250r
You guys in Cali definitely have it the worst with the darn smog ****'s out there. I've never gotten any complaints from any cops about it but I try not to smoke anyone out unless they are riding my bumper. If someone cuts me off I'll sometimes make it my business to get back in front of them and give 'em the death cloud too.

John
well at least here in california we don't have to smog our diesels (YET).. and if you do get a letter it tells you that this is not a ticket or you can not be fined because of it.. It just askes oyu to fix your vehicle for cleaner air..

As for the red light tickets.. they are reviewed by a LEO before they are mailed.. they take pictures of the plate (front and rear) the driver, the red light, and the limit line and the position of the vehicle, and the speed of the vehicle.. plenty of evidence for the LEO to make a determination...

GErry
Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gerry
As for the red light tickets.. they are reviewed by a LEO before they are mailed.. they take pictures of the plate (front and rear) the driver, the red light, and the limit line and the position of the vehicle, and the speed of the vehicle.. plenty of evidence for the LEO to make a determination...
GErry
That's way better than DC.
Here they just mail you the ticket and it's up to you to prove you didn't run the light.
(don't get me started about the Photo-Radar Camera they set up on a main artery acceleration merge ramp)
"Guilty Until Proven Innocent"
Recently, several drivers have complained about recieving tickets for "Running Red" while turning right on a GREEN arrow.
The green arrow is clearly visable in the photograph, the ticket was mailed out anyway, and the driver is forced to either pay, or spend time fighting the ticket.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Californias was fought in the Cali Supreme court.. San DIego was hit hard with fines for not having a LEO review them.. They had a contractor processing them and making the decisions.. The contractor received a percentage of the fines that were Processed and MAILED.. nothing if they didn't mail the ticket out.. so you can guess that they just mailed everything that had a picture,
Old 01-27-2007, 10:10 AM

well at least here in california we don't have to smog our diesels (YET).. and if you do get a letter it tells you that this is not a ticket or you can not be fined because of it.. It just askes oyu to fix your vehicle for cleaner air..

GErry
The red light cameras in Albuquerque only take close up pictures of the rear of the vehicle in order to get the plate. But even if they did take a picture of the driver, the state statutes (for NM) clearly state a law enforcement officer must witness a misdemeanor in order to take any enforcement. There are few exceptions to this. But not for red lights. Again, the driver is not cited. Just a fine imposed on the owner the vehicle.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Californias was fought in the Cali Supreme court.. San DIego was hit hard with fines for not having a LEO review them.. They had a contractor processing them and making the decisions.. The contractor received a percentage of the fines that were Processed and MAILED.. nothing if they didn't mail the ticket out.. so you can guess that they just mailed everything that had a picture,
That's exactly what is happening in DC.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM

This is all BS. i hope they don't start doing this around where i live. the only tickets i got because of my truck was loud exhaust. and they was by a State boy. anyone from or around St. louis have had this problem yet.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:16 AM

It’s just a legal way for local government to take our money from us. It’s just like emission testing. At $20.00 a car, these gas-stations are getting rich quick!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by stock03
It’s just a legal way for local government to take our money from us. It’s just like emission testing. At $20.00 a car, these gas-stations are getting rich quick!
Well, I am sure you guys will think less of me. When I was a few years younger I became an emissions "technician" in Ga. Fifteen dollars goes to the state and the testing facility gets 5 bucks. It's not really that big of a money make for the facility as it is for the state or county. It is mainly done at gas stations or car washes as an extra service. I think emissions testing is ridiculous anyhow, but I had to have a job at the time.

There was a noteable scientist that came out saying that a volcano erruption puts out more polution in one erruption than cars and big plants have put out in their entire existance. He said that the ozone has always been breaking down and that it has always rebuilt itself.

Sorry for the rant. I will try to find the article.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by TravisDj
Well, I am sure you guys will think less of me. When I was a few years younger I became an emissions "technician" in Ga. Fifteen dollars goes to the state and the testing facility gets 5 bucks. It's not really that big of a money make for the facility as it is for the state or county. It is mainly done at gas stations or car washes as an extra service. I think emissions testing is ridiculous anyhow, but I had to have a job at the time.

There was a noteable scientist that came out saying that a volcano erruption puts out more polution in one erruption than cars and big plants have put out in their entire existance. He said that the ozone has always been breaking down and that it has always rebuilt itself.

Sorry for the rant. I will try to find the article.
I don't think anyone thinks less of you for what you do... That being said, I stand corrected about saying private businesses are getting rich off emissions.

And as far as the volcano erruption polution, I heard that too. Good point.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
How could you be cited for anything based only on another driver's word? Can you simply say that you saw a Honda Accord going 100mph and he will receive a ticket? Doesn't work that way here.
I asked them this question and that is the way it is. They go off of another persons word which is wrong. They didn't charge me for the test. I was kind of being a smart a$$ and said that there was a county school bus that smoked me out (which they all smoke like frieght trains around here) the lady said to turn it in cause they have done this to them before the same with city dump trucks and stuff like that. It was all just a pain in the a$$ to go through so hope it never happens to you. Watch out if you are in Utah. It is just the government not wanting to have fun. The thing that I don't is the air quality is so bad in Utah they say, but the state legislature wants to cut the epa's budget. I will never understand the government.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm going to Moab this spring, are they hard on tourists that smoke or let them slide by? My '01 doesn't smoke unless I want it to(like when being tailgatied) but if they are as picky as everyone says I'll turn the other cheek and keep my nose clean. Nobody likes getting in trouble when on vacation.

Quick Reply: Letter from the health department