Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's talk; Smarty 2nd Gen. and Drag Racing...

I just wanted to share some information with the drag racing bunch who run Smarty 2nd Gen.

I used to race with SM#7, best I could run was 13.4's at 99 mph didn't matter what I did 13.4's were the best. I decided to run SM#5 and dropped 1 tenth and gained 1 mph 13.3@100, no tailgate or spare tire. This past weekend I raced with SM#3 and dropped to 13.1@102 mph! The 1/8 mile I went 82 mph, before I would be around 79-80 mph. Tailgate and spare tire in place.

If I understand correctly Smarty #3 is just fueling and timing. I guess this means no Smarty fueling at all?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Chapter President

I wish we Smarty users had some more info with regards to how each Smarty level fuels with regards to boost.

It might go a long way if we could give Marco some feed back with what we're seeing to help him with furture Smarty updates. Maybe a program for single turbos and a program for the guys with twins?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it has to due with the timing. Going from sw3 to sw5 gives me a huge increase in spoolup on the street. I've heard the increased spool is due to a retarded timing in the catcher program. It is called dynamic timing and we don't know excactly the dynamics in coming into play, but some high hp trucks have dyno'd less using the catcher program.

While the catcher softwares feel better on the street maybe boring ol sw3 is best for the track or dyno?? Thanks for posting your results mike. Now all you need is 2 more tenths
Old 10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Chapter President

Good point, some trucks have showed lower than expected HP numbers on the dyno using the catcher programs. I hope to dyno my truck with SM #3 to see. 2 tenths = about 50 or so HP, should be interesting.

I will say it does take more pedal input to spool the turbo at the line running #3. In my opinion this a plus as it's easier to control boost at the line.

Leaving the line with around 14-15 lbs of boost my 60ft. times were still a respectable 1.80.

When I first started I was chasing seconds, now it's tenths. Seems like knocking off seconds was easier..
Old 10-22-2006, 05:01 PM

I hope on future Smarty updates , we can get
a little more agressive on timing advance and
bring on the fuel based on boost pressure to keep
smoke levels down.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:05 PM

I hope on future Smarty updates , we can get
a little more agressive on timing advance and
bring on the fuel based on boost pressure to keep
smoke levels down.
I second that, smoke comes way too easy with the Smarty. I enjoy the benefits of the Smarty but low boost smoke is too much sometimes.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Yall must be some heavy footed drivers. I run my smarty on #5 and even with the TST on 9 and with 155hp injectors and a KSB-1 I could very easily drive without a smoke cloud. It took some very careful driving and I had to think about it but it was very doable. With the TST turned off I didn't even have to think about driving cause I couldn't get it to smoke unless I wanted it to. Now granted the 6spds are different but it's still very possible to drive around the smoke.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Now granted the 6spds are different but it's still very possible to drive around the smoke.
Possible? yes, practical? not always.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Chapter President

I know Marco and Bob read these Smarty threads, so maybe we're talking in their "ear" so to speak. Marco, Would love to have some feedback from you.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 AM

I don't want to constantly monitor my
smoke output in my rear view mirror.I
know it can be done , but I know that
smoke levels could be reduced at low
boost pressure and would probably
result in "more" power and throttle
response not less
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Fuel is power but when you add fuel faster than you add air you get smoke. They could cut low end fueling, but thats why people like the smarty
Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

when they get the 3rd gen guys and the newest 06 programs done i would like to see some custom tunes for us 2nd genners too.

maybe something specifically for the HRVP44 users, or nitrous tunes for those trying to get the right mix.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 PM

I run SW#5 with DD3's and I can drive smoke free simply by listening to the exhaust note...
Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
I don't want to constantly monitor my
smoke output in my rear view mirror.
Get a 12 valve, then you know you will always be smoking!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Chapter President

I appreciate all the comments on this thread. I think on a truck with stock injectors the smarty is awesome for drivability, gets the turbo spooled and the truck going. However, on trucks with fueling boxes and big injectors the lowend fueling is amplified too greatly and hurts 1/4 mile performance. This is why I saw better times as I backed the Smarty down.

I've haven't run the truck with stock software in the ECM down the 1/4, but I suspect without the additional fuel and timing provided in the #3 Smarty setting I would see a loss in performance.

I would like to get some fellow drag racers who run the Smarty to try #3 to see if they have a net gain over running the higher numbered programs. I would also like to see what happens on the dyno.

Getblown5.9, What setting did you dyno with over the weekend?

Quick Reply: Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...