Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's talk Nitrous for a 24V.....esp Manual trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk Nitrous for a 24V.....esp Manual trucks?

Ok, I guess I'm getting pretty close to using most of the fuel in my VP44 powered truck (see signature for mods). I just did my head work and am going through my heat cycles before my last torque. At that point in a few weeks, I should be ready to put on the track and see what it'll do. I guess my next step may be nitrous. I'm just examining it at this point but just curious as to what setups any of you may be using and where are you placing your jets, etc. What brands, etc, advice do you have?

Also, anyone running the squeeze on a 5 or 6 speed truck, how is yours activated? WOT throttle switch or manual switch. I'm thinking maybe 5th and 6th gears are the only feasable place to inject it just due to how quickly it tachs through the lower gears as is (read....not sure if I can row the gears any faster as is in 3rd and 4th ).

Anyone please feel free to educate me. I've heard of folks blowing it into the air horn and pre intercooler and I understand the theories there. But beyond that, I guess I don't understand what else is involved.

What should I consider, what brands, should I build my own and what should I expect to spend?

Thanks for any input. It'll be interesting to sit back and read experiences. Thank you in advance for any tips. Regards, Matt
Old 04-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Moderator, can you move this to peformance. Thought thats where I was. Sorry about that.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Actually, you can delete. I'll copy and paste it over there.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
The Guru

Its been awhile for me but I think that there a plate under the air horn that the nozzle shot into the air path. Most guys run a hobs pressure switch and I would only spray in your top gears.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Its been awhile for me but I think that there a plate under the air horn that the nozzle shot into the air path. Most guys run a hobs pressure switch and I would only spray in your top gears.
Well, that's kind of what I was thinking Mike in regards to the when to spray, ie. 5th and 6th gear. A WOT switch would be nice to not have to think about when to spray, but I think it might cause more of a problem that anything as quickly as it tachs in those gears anyway. Maybe a switch on the shifter is what I was thinking? I've got a plug on the back of the air horn that I used to have my boost gauge tied into that I could mount a jet.

Any systems better than others or build your own? I've heard Dennis at TS Peformanace has a really nice system, just not sure I need anything that nice or expensive. I don't think I'll do anything but maybe a fairly small shot, 50 give or take. Anyone with any pros or cons?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Wait for Doug to jump in, he's the man when it comes to nitrous.

I know you don't want to be able to accidentally hit the switch which is why people use ones like this:

Do you know what Va law says about nitrous? I've been told you get a ticket for street racing if you have a bottle
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Banned

Down here it's legal to have it but you just can't have the line hooked to the bottle.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Down here it's legal to have it but you just can't have the line hooked to the bottle.
I have heard about that. To me thats a stupid law.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:42 AM
KVD

No laws around here people drive around and purge the stuff like it was cheap to get.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:32 PM
The Guru

Get a bottle warmer so you have decent bottle pressure. Most people set the hobs switch for 25psi for spray. Doug at Diesel Performance is the man and has the right parts for NOS. The only reason that I've haven't run NOS is that I've hear a few ugly stories of exhaust system blowing off and damaging the truck. Nos will give you a hard hit. The big sticks help to ensure that you have enough fuel in the cylinders
Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM

Anybody try staging nitrous in their truck? Such as a small shot on one solenoid to get the twins up and spinning, then another solenoid sending the big shot once the wastegates are open.
Tim.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Kind of wild about the laws. Never heard those around here in NC but doesn't mean they are not on the books.

I've heard of someone using nitrous to spool a huge single staging, but not twins. I don't have any issues with mine spooling anyway.

Mike, I was wondering on the bottlewarmers. Any idea on a ballpark or retail price on those?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2500CTD
I have heard about that. To me thats a stupid law.
Kinda like the law that says if your windshield wipers are going you have to have your headlights on. Anyways, back to our original thread topic.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 PM

TR ,
Olee or Doug eaither one would be great to talk to! I'm taking the same plunge on my dyno day :O , We're going to do a re-torque on the head as well!
I know Olee carrys quite a few of the needed componets in the shop!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Y'all help me out on this. As I understand it, here are the components. Please add or clarify. I have zero experience with nitrous, just passing conversations and very light reading.

-Bottle (is the pressure of the bottle what propels the nitrous) How big, how many needed?
-Supply lines for the nitrous (any special type of line needed?)
-Hobbs switch (does this just control the pulses of spray? On/Off, duration, etc.)(what all does it control?)
-Power supply
-Arming switch in the cab or manual activation switch in the cab (maybe both?)
-Is there any other controller?
-Is there a pressure regulator?

Accessories
-Bottle warmer
-For more stages, do you have multiple Hobbs switches and jets?

I know nitrous is extremely cold and one of application can be to spray it pre intercooler to cool it and the intake air. I was thinking of using one controller to spray it both pre intercooler and in the air horn at the same time. Is this acceptable or will I need to control each nozzle seperately? I'm not talking about spraying large shots, probably start around 40 and test it, then move up depending on how well it does. Probably not more than a 70 shot. From the conversations I've heard or read, that's what most feel they can do safely on a street truck.

Thanks for the help, Matt

Quick Reply: Let's talk Nitrous for a 24V.....esp Manual trucks?