Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
what did you have to run 13.1? .
I ran a regular TST on #9 and Smarty on #3...

the TST competition will fuel hard and make power way up into the high 3,000rpms i have to let out at 3600 because the EGT's are way up there and it gets a little scary for me turning those rpms on stock valve springs. i think on your SO pump the TST comp WILL make a big difference and i think its enough to put you into the 12's. if you were closer id let you try it to see.
I think you're right. TST comp is the way to go. I'll see if John_P still has his box laying around to try at the track again.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He sold it.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Chapter President

I'm kind of surprised with 900+ views and 4 pages long, neither Marco nor Bob Wagner has put forth a reply. Maybe they're too busy with the 3rd Gens right now?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I'll be surprised if any new programs are made for the 2nd gen Smarty unless there is some major issue. I would guess Marco would move along to the next revenue generating project, ie., New Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke. Not sure if that is in the works or not, but I would guess so. I would love to see some more programs but from a business perspective, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Chapter President

I have more faith then that Matt. I'm sure they're busy with new projects, but they'll get back to us 2nd Gen guys when time allows. I was just hoping for some feedback from Marco.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

ill still keep my fingers crossed for the HRVP44 guys with a real aggressive tune...not sure if its even possible but ill be waiting!

i think a good 2.1 60' launch in 3rd gear will net me a 13...this thing pulls so hard from idle right to redline now, smooth power throughout.

with hx55 and less fuel it used to have just top end...15.8@96

then with B1 and drag comp i had bottom end, but dying VP44 wiped out top end power 15.1@89-90mph

im thinking now with the traction bars, and lots more power that i have the potential to run mid-low 14's and dip into the 13's with the perfect launch
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM

I hope you are right Mike, and by the way, my comment was in no way meant to bash Marco or the Smarty. I just figured they had a good running product and it was time to move on. I hope they do tweak some programs and hopefully our input will help.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned

TR, i dont blame your thinking, business is business and if those guys can dive into the market of making smarty's for powerstrokes or duramaxes they will have as big of a hit as they had with the dodge guys. they make a good product, and sometimes in the business world you need to move along and not spend TOO much time and money developing products for an engine thats no longer made.

IE: nobody wants to make a large quantity of the MLS head gaskets for second gens because they wont sell a HUGE amount of them for an engine thats no longer produced...they would rather make products that are going to be used in LARGE quantities, like 3rd gen motors or the new 6.7
Old 10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Chapter President

I agree with everything said guys. It's smart business all around, but they don't want to forget the guys that got them where they are today.

Second Gen guys bought, first the Madd ecms then upgraded to the Smarty and generated a lot of sales for Marco in the interim. I don't think the Smarty would have taken off for the 3rd Gens as fast had it not been for the 2nd Gen proving grounds.

Like I said before, I have faith. Maybe this thread will get the wheels turning in Marco's head to come up with an even better program for over-fueled guys. In the meantime I'll enjoy #3!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:24 PM

I bought the Smarty on the assumption that there
were going to be numerous updates / downloads for
the second Gen Smarty. I still hope this is the case.
I think that most people agree that the fueling on
the low end with low boost ,needs to come in at
a more gradual flow. The sudden "dump" of fuel is what
is causing the "bog" and excessive smoke when you
hammer the throttle at low rpm / boost. I really like the
upper rpm anti-defueling on the Smarty , but if there are
not going to be anymore updates or program refinements
I'm going back to my old box that pulled just as hard with
80% less smoke I think that now that all the Dodges
are covered right now ,feedback should be gathered from
Smarty owners and "tweeks" made to the various program #'s
JMHO
Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
I bought the Smarty on the assumption that there
were going to be numerous updates / downloads for
the second Gen Smarty. but if there are
not going to be anymore updates or program refinements
I'm going back to my old box
Well, don't take my word on it.....I'm just making an assumption myself. With the new diesel engines coming out, there is a lot to keep up with if Marco is the only one doing the research and programming. I'm sure Edge/TST/Banks/ whoever else has multiple folks on staff to do this. There is so much with these new diesels to try to keep up with I'm just saying that would make sense from a business standpoint. Not sure Marco has enough hours in the day to backtrack on sold, basically obsolete units at this point. I guess maybe he can keep in mind that we the current 2nd gen owners will likely be in a 3rd gen or newer gen at some point. Anyway, I didn't mean to open pandora's box, just stating an observation.

TR, i dont blame your thinking, business is business and if those guys can dive into the market of making smarty's for powerstrokes or duramaxes they will have as big of a hit as they had with the dodge guys. they make a good product, and sometimes in the business world you need to move along and not spend TOO much time and money developing products for an engine thats no longer made.

IE: nobody wants to make a large quantity of the MLS head gaskets for second gens because they wont sell a HUGE amount of them for an engine thats no longer produced...they would rather make products that are going to be used in LARGE quantities, like 3rd gen motors or the new 6.7
Well, stated. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 PM

If Marco could add a little more timing and add
fuel based on boost levels , along with the rest
of the Smarty features, I would be extremely happy.
Maybe something like 0 psi-25% fuel , 5 psi-50% fuel ,
10psi-100% fuel
Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 PM

Look the smarty was made with a usb so it *could* be updated in the future so chill The '06's are going to be rolling out and there are updates being made on the current cp3 smarty programs.

With that said my testing thus far hasn't been the same as Mike's. I do not have the tst currently- just running the smarty. Basically I have an approximate 1/4 mile marked off so I can make runs going for trap speed. With sw3 my best is 85 mph, but with sw7 I've hit 88. I'll switch to sw5 or 9 and make some more runs later this week.

I'm sure the tst is giving Mike and GB better top end than I have right now, but I'll continue testing when I get the tst on there- prolly next week.

BTW if my 1/4 is accurate would those traps be good for 15's? High 14's?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 AM

My 1/4 mile times in the 15's have had 93,94 and 95 mph trap speeds. My 60 foot times are usually in the 2.20's - 2.30's though.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

ive run anywhere from 15.1@90 to 15.8@96

with the 6spds its so hard to gauge it because with one off key shift the run is shot.

Quick Reply: Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...