Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to keep the data honest, it's important that everyone contributing input here has the lattest Smarty updates!
Based on my experience, newest SW has smoother timing application.
Also, best setting for drag racing may vary for twins vs. big singles due to more air available at lower RPM's.
I found #5 on Smarty allowed building boost on the line more quickly than a higher setting. Did not consider lower than #5 due to reduced fueling... but I will try it next time on #3 and #5, back to back!

RJ
Old 10-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Chapter President

Good point, I should give the even numbers a shot. I do have the feeling that without the extra timing EGT's would be rather toasty.

Just to be clear. This thread was started to provide information to those who drag race as there seems to be a growing number of guys going to the track who run Smarty. Just wanted to share my observations with regards to track times using different Smarty programs. Not trying to bag on Smarty.

I have zero complaints with Smarty on the street.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 AM
KVD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The smarty is still very nice and worth the money.

My cousion didn't believe me till he got one.

He said only 60HP, thats lot of money. Now I don't think he would sale for twice that much, a very good product with a lot time and research behind it.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Just to keep the data honest, it's important that everyone contributing input here has the lattest Smarty updates!
Based on my experience, newest SW has smoother timing application.
Also, best setting for drag racing may vary for twins vs. big singles due to more air available at lower RPM's.
I found #5 on Smarty allowed building boost on the line more quickly than a higher setting. Did not consider lower than #5 due to reduced fueling... but I will try it next time on #3 and #5, back to back!

RJ

Rowland, I would like to find out if the Smarty programs #5, 7 and 9 fuel beyond what number #3 does or if in fact 5 thru 9 just deliver the fuel and timing differently with regards to pedal input. If the fuel comes on earlier in the injection event isn't that by default increased timing? On Marco's website #3 is discribed as adding fuel and timing, while 5 thru 9 are discribed as Smarty software programs. (Soft #5) (Mild #7) and (Full Catcher #9).

I would also like to point out I do have the current Smarty updates. I agree it is smoother than before.

Thanks for your valued input. I know you do a lot of testing with your rig.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Rowland, I would like to find out if the Smarty programs #5, 7 and 9 fuel beyond what number #3 does ....
That's the way I interpret what Marco says here... http://www.madselectronics.com/Smarty03.html

'Catcher' program does not start till Smarty is on #4 and up. Before that it's some added fuel & timing! What's different between the two.... I guess that's what your asking?

RJ
Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

From my experience with #3 is that it adds the fuel of the catcher programs, but still has all of the stock defueling. You get the power of the catcher but none of the benefits of it. I know on my truck if I put it on #3 and floor it, it does the classic defueling lunge until it gets out of first gear. Put it on #5 and as soon as that pedal hits the floor she's off like a bat outta hades. I also noticed that the upper end fueling isn't there with the #3 program loaded.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Chapter President

Big Blue, I think maybe that's the missing link. 99's don't have the defuel like the later models. No need for RAD device or the like.

RJ, I always understood Smarty didn't fuel beyond what the stock VP44 could deliver.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:18 PM

"Holy accelerator Batman"! Hope you don't get muted for your bat-language

Good input Blue.... and easily tested on the street! The first gear defueling you refer to.... is that from power braking? That's the only low end defueling I am familiar with.... (too much torque in relation to no forward motion).

RJ
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

Nope. My truck has always done that defueling lunge thing. Even if I just stand on it from a standing stop with no power braking. It's not to bad with no boxes but it's very apparent with the boxes turned on.

Mike D, you may be right. Between the heavy low end fueling of the smarty and the ECM not defueling from the factory, it might be drowning the motor out a bit at the beginning and that's why it's running a hair fast as you drop the levels down. The fuels not coming in as fast and hard. My truck is an absolute dog to drive around town on #3. So much so that it's not even fun to drive thanks to the stock defueling.

Love to keep talking but gotta go to class. Later yall.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Chapter President

Thanks Blue for your input! I guess until Marco gets a chance to explain how/when the Smarty puts the fuel in we'll just have run whatever program delivers the performance for our respective trucks.

I'm just having a hard time getting my head around it. With as much drag racing as I've done with the Smarty to drop 3 tenths and gain nearly 4 mph through the traps. I had to share my thoughts with regards to using #3 at the track.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 AM

I have to applaud you Mike for your scientific approach and sharing your results

I wish I had more to contribute to the thread, but the one time I went to the track I just tried all the crazy things that I can't really try on the street. I can tell you that launching in third and spinning through the 60 then skipping to 5th and flooring it on sw9 does *not* yeild very good times but it is a sight to see I did smoke a stock buick regal though
Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 PM

Lightbulb

I just finished my demo and sent it back today. I will be saving for one. It made my truck alot more fun to drive. I started with the higher settings first and they would not work with the edge well past level 3. Level 6 on the edge was not drivable if you put the pedal down. It would bog the motor and when you let your foot up It would surge so hard it sounded like I hit the motor with a massive shot of nitrous. I believe this is due to having to small of a turbo. Otherwise level 3 on the edge and level 6 or 8 on the smarty was fun but you had to roll into the pedal for the best responce and smoke control. I even ran it on level 9 with the edge on. It was too much timing until the motor warmed up, but at high rpms it pulled stronger. It also caused me to blow my IC boot off which convinced me to go back to just the edge for timing. Next I ran it on level 4 which by far ran the best with my set up. With the edge on 3 and smarty on 4 I would break the tires free as soon as the turbo spooled in first and when it shifted into 2nd. It must of been a much more efficient air and fuel mixture. I only tested this set up for a day due to work and no free time and I had to get it back in the mail. I would love to get it back and dyno it. There is a mustang dyno that was just installed about 20 minutes from my house. It supposedly goes up to 2000hp and torque. I also havent driven my truck since I took the smarty off so hopefully it left an updated stock ecm.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

just wanted to post my results with the smarty testing. no track times or dyno tests but seat-o-the pants and threshold of traction meter tell me #3 is the way to go when using my TST competition box on kill. i tried #5 and #7 on the smarty but both felt very sluggish to me, the pedal felt weird, just didnt like them. with the TST off smarty#9 gives me great spool up, low smoke, and good manners. but when i turn the box on i feel more kick in the pants and i prefer the way the truck drives with #3 loaded. i like being able to use the whole pedal to adjust the throttle rather than the first 1/4 of the pedal movement.

with smarty on 9 and TST on 9 the truck was fast, it would haul rear end, and dynoed 500/1021...BUT i honestly feel that Smarty#3 and TST 7-9 would result in 20-30more HP on the dyno. its just enough hp to put me over the dry pavement threshold of traction. the last 2 days of driving on #3 with the TST on 9 have been fun whenever im on an open road away from other cars (perfect 2 mile strip on the way to my gf's house). if i go from a stop, 2nd gear spins, 3rd gear spins, and 4th will chirp then catch traction and this is all without holding the brakes or TRYING to burn rubber. thats just a hard launch and pedal to the floor with the truck really putting the power to the ground.

so anyway, mine will be staying on #3 unless i feel like driving without the TST then it can go back to 9.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

GB5.9,

Thank you for reporting back with your testing of the Smarty on #3... I'm glad I'm not the only one who has felt the power difference going to #3!! I was starting to think I was the only one who felt a difference.

I only wish that I would have figured this out when I was running John_P's comp. box. I didn't gain anything over the regular TST at the track, so I figured why deal with the pump shutter for no gain. Live and learn.

Hopefully, I'll be able to try a TST comp at the track sometime to see if that alone will drop me into the 12's.

This has been a good thread and I want to thank everyone for their input.

I just hope others with similar mods will try #3 and report back with what they find out... The more information the better!

Thanks again GB5.9!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned

what did you have to run 13.1?

the TST competition will fuel hard and make power way up into the high 3,000rpms i have to let out at 3600 because the EGT's are way up there and it gets a little scary for me turning those rpms on stock valve springs. i think on your SO pump the TST comp WILL make a big difference and i think its enough to put you into the 12's. if you were closer id let you try it to see.

Quick Reply: Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...