Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a suggestion, try using the Smarty to take the ECM SW back to stock. I noticed a comment over on TDR that said he made power after doing that. It was a barrowed Smarty, that the guy had to return to the owner. Evidently, the Smarty leaves the most updated DC SW.

Jim
Old 10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike D

Getblown5.9, What setting did you dyno with over the weekend?
DDP 150 sticks, HRVP44, B1 turbo, smarty on #9 and TST competition

TST off- 434/906
TST on 7- 498/1000
TST on 9- 500/1021

im thinking at the track i will run the smarty on fuel saver (timing only) and let the TST do all the fueling? there is just too many choices (basically 100 LOL)
Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a chance see what Smarty #3 will do on the dyno... Might be interesting. I'll do the same the next time I'm on the dyno.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

i havent even tried #3 on the street. ive run #8 with a comp for about 3 days, and now i run #9 with the TST comp.

when i leave work i will load #3 or 5 and see how much it affects my street manners.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM

I appreciate all the comments on this thread. I think on a truck with stock injectors the smarty is awesome for drivability, gets the turbo spooled and the truck going. However, on trucks with fueling boxes and big injectors the lowend fueling is amplified too greatly and hurts 1/4 mile performance. This is why I saw better times as I backed the Smarty down.
I don't think my 24 valve is fueled heavy enough yet to see this, but I've run into it on my 93 when I put the larger injectors in, when the low end fueling was heavy it felt almost like it was starting to put the fire out.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:13 PM
KVD

So smarty could be to good when stacked.

Maybe that is why some people dynoed higher numbers with the ez/tst stack than with the smarty stack on 9.

Maybe the best stack is a comp box in ez mode (ez mode is supposed to have more timin than the standard EZ) and a TST.

This the reason why I think as getblowin said, they should make customs tunes but that was basically what the orginal Catcher ECM was.

I'd like to see some dynos of the older ecms and compare that to the smarty.

The smarty is still better because they could release a new tune, it could be downloaded from the internet net and then loaded to the truck, no down time and if you don't like you could change.

Sorry I was kinda thinkin out loud.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Chapter President

KVD, I think you hit the nail on the head. RJohnson had that problem when he ran the old Catcher ECM. His story kinda of got me thinking about my own issues with regards to Smarty. Nothing compares to track times in my opinion, that's why I started to do my testing at the track. I always can judge my run by my 60', 1/8 and trap speed at the end of the 1/4. Dyno's are ok, but the load applied is not close to the load on your truck from the road or track.

IMHO #3 Smarty is close to the EZ program but the timing is done in the ECM via Smarty!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
i havent even tried #3 on the street. ive run #8 with a comp for about 3 days, and now i run #9 with the TST comp.

when i leave work i will load #3 or 5 and see how much it affects my street manners.
You might like 5 but 3 has an entirely different feel.

Last I heard Marco had a glitch worked out for the 04.5's and was beta testing the 06's so it might be a while for us to see custom tunes.

I think it'd be *great* if some of the Smarty vendors were given the software needed to make some custom tunes
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Chapter President

What I find with number three is I get all the power at the end of the pedal travel where as on number 9 or 7 the pedal feels compressed. I get a slight surge of power when I'm getting out of the throttle hence my trap speeds where all around 99 mph. I didn't feel the surge on number 5, but my times at the 1/4 mile where still better on #3 and gained 3 mph through the traps.

Back when I dynoed the catcher ECM I would make more power on the dyno if I didn't mat the loud pedal, just hold it about 1/4" or so off the floor.

None of these examples are proof positive that my results will work for others, but it's worth looking at IMO. The more we get examples of what other Smarty users experience the better we will understand how each truck will react to a specific program.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Ive been asking for a refined #5 or #7 on the Smarty.
More aggressive timing (between the fuelsaver and #5)
and less low boost fueling to cut down on smoke. Hopefully
Marco will have time to tweek these programs when he
finishes work on the other Smarty's. I know there is room
to bump the timing because my engine is quieter with the
Smarty than with the plug in box I used to have.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:10 PM

What I find with number three is I get all the power at the end of the pedal travel where as on number 9 or 7 the pedal feels compressed.......

.......Back when I dynoed the catcher ECM I would make more power on the dyno if I didn't mat the loud pedal, just hold it about 1/4" or so off the floor.
I'd agree with that... the best way I've been able to describe it is that I lean into the throttle, I don't mat it to the floor, when I want to move the big truck fast.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
I'd agree with that... the best way I've been able to describe it is that I lean into the throttle, I don't mat it to the floor, when I want to move the big truck fast.
I noticed that also. It seems that rolling on the throttle works best.

Jim
Old 10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
I noticed that also. It seems that rolling on the throttle works best.

Jim
Rolling into the coal pedal works fine because you're not pouring all the fuel in at once and the turbo has a chance to spool. However, this is not conducive to a drag racing setting INHO.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:54 AM
KVD

Maybe you could get a EZ just to try, for the track or figure out the timin of both or all 3, comp, ez, and smarty 3 and 5 and see how close they really are.

Maybe fore everyday drivin the higher settins are better because you mostly do roll into the throttle, not ***** to the wall like you at the track.

So track, lower settins.
Street, higher settins.

Thats what makes the smarty so nice, the adjustably.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:55 AM

Since the beginning there have been "complains" and rumours about catcher/smartys combination dynoed less...
If you read the TDR catcher thread (it´s VERY big, so take your time, it´ll be worth it) and the later TDR "Smarty the new catchertool"thread (almost as big),
you´ll learn a lot about the thoughts that made the smarty SW´s.

The original Catcher SW(Smarty SW #9) was all about driveability, and he had never promissed any HP increase. (Also mentioned on the MADSElectronic website)

When I first heard of complains was when the Twinpeople added the catcher, and the solution was the Special Catcher with no(or little) timing, cause when having twins you add so much fuel and air so too much timing was just messing things up. Later on the Edgepeople started to use the Specialcatcher so they could stack it with the compbox without issues.

Now we have the Smarty DL with 10 different SW where the #9 is the original and the #8 is the Special Catcher. And so on the odd #´s are with Catcher timing and the even #´s are without.

Maybe you have to experiment with the even SW´s on the dragstrip...
Just my 0.02€

Quick Reply: Let's talk; Smarty and Drag Racing...