Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's hear some N20 stories!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a buddy in High School with a faux-ricer who took a fire extinguisher bottle, painted it blue and hung it on his door.

And, according to him while he was armchair racing, it was a 150 shot. At the fair one year he actually got a guy in a totally worked Firebird convinced that his car was good for low 10's. Now my friend's car is covered in stickers, has a foot-tall wing welded right onto the bumper, and has Ag. Engineering class ground effects tacked all over it and painted with straight paint and no primer. It was totally stock under the hood, with the exception of an added exhaust leak and welded-on whistle that didn't really work.

And this guy in his real fast Firebird thought he had competition. The two of these guys armchair raced for about 20 minutes and then arranged to meet up after the fair to race.

So this guy in this sweet car shows up and sees this hideous looking ricer for the first time, and doesn't actually realize the kind of joke it really was. Rather, he saw all of the stickers and totally bought the story that this 16 second car was good for 10's. So he gets out of the car, went up to my buddy's door, and said that he'd bet $100 on the race if my buddy removed his NOS bottle first. So my buddy just reaches up, pulls the fire extinguisher off the door mounts and hands it too him out the window.

That guy was furious... We got the heck out of Dodge and lost the guy by the time he made it back to his Firebird. We came back the next day and picked up the fire extinguisher that was left in the parking lot after the guy threw it at us while we ran away.

Well, it's a story, right?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to plan with nitrous on a 2nd generation truck you should O-ring and stud you head. Some guys get away with running a small shot of nitrous without problems for a while but pretty soon almost all will blow the HG. Trust me guys nitrous increases cylinder pressure dramatically, Its not the couple extra pounds of boost you see that blows the HG its cylinder pressures. Heck if you wastgate is properly sized you won't see any real change in boost pressure.

Also remember that a 50 shot on a gasser doesn't equal 50HP for our diesels. If you want to run nitrous effectively be sure and talk with guys doing it.... You should run adequate line diameter, solenoid size, nozzels, etc. to really make it work well.

Doug Smith
Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Begle1
I had a buddy in High School with a faux-ricer who took a fire extinguisher bottle, painted it blue and hung it on his door.

And, according to him while he was armchair racing, it was a 150 shot. At the fair one year he actually got a guy in a totally worked Firebird convinced that his car was good for low 10's. Now my friend's car is covered in stickers, has a foot-tall wing welded right onto the bumper, and has Ag. Engineering class ground effects tacked all over it and painted with straight paint and no primer. It was totally stock under the hood, with the exception of an added exhaust leak and welded-on whistle that didn't really work.

And this guy in his real fast Firebird thought he had competition. The two of these guys armchair raced for about 20 minutes and then arranged to meet up after the fair to race.

So this guy in this sweet car shows up and sees this hideous looking ricer for the first time, and doesn't actually realize the kind of joke it really was. Rather, he saw all of the stickers and totally bought the story that this 16 second car was good for 10's. So he gets out of the car, went up to my buddy's door, and said that he'd bet $100 on the race if my buddy removed his NOS bottle first. So my buddy just reaches up, pulls the fire extinguisher off the door mounts and hands it too him out the window.

That guy was furious... We got the heck out of Dodge and lost the guy by the time he made it back to his Firebird. We came back the next day and picked up the fire extinguisher that was left in the parking lot after the guy threw it at us while we ran away.

Well, it's a story, right?
Young'uns
Old 07-14-2006, 05:14 PM

thanks for chiming in Doug
that was what i was worried about, how much it raises the cylinder pressure, not how much boost it will gain. I now that cylinder pressure is the main thing to be concered with, not psi levels so much. If i put that on my truck, i would just be on borrowed time till she went pop.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 PM
DTR Advertiser

Think of NOS as turbo in a bottle. It is just a combustion aide. Plus the more fuel you are running the more NOS you can run. We have run as much as 300hp through a double shot with no problems. Now obviously the more NOS you run the higher the cylinder pressures are going to be. Thus you would need to look at studs and Oring. You also have to be careful to not bring in too much NOS too quickly as it will quench the combustion and "put out the fire" NOS would be more of a race type application as it is pretty expensive to fill the bottles and they dont last too long. Water meth is a little more street friendly. Nitrous Express is coming out with a pretty cool new progressive controller setup. This should help to control it more on the track with traction issues.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:53 PM

OK I got a story for you guys NOW THIS DID NOT HAPPEM TO MY TRUCK I was a an nhrda race last year with my buddies (I also race in the slower class) and in the finals of are faster truck class 13.99 and faster we had a truck running a little bit of N20. Well just after the previous race my buddy puts in a full bottle and turns the heater on, then after about 10 min of cooldown time he headed up to the lanes to make the final run for 1st and 2nd places and I head for the fence at about 1/2 track to watch. Well he does his burnout and stages the truck and then both truck start building boost for launch, then they launch and the next thing I know he is sitting on the starting line after stalling the truck so I turn to watch the other truck cross the line, and as I turn back around to see if he got his truck started I heard him crank it fallowed by a LOUD explosin which I felt and the stacks comming to rest with one on the ground next to the truck and the other on the bed cover. Then me and his crew cheif take off runnin to the staging lanes to see if he was all right witch he was. the track crew was picking them selves up off the track as we got there and he was getting out of the truck. So we first shut the Battery switch off, and then started picking up very HOT exhaust pieces, and pushed the truck off the track and towed it back to the trailer. now as to what had happened is that when he launched he killed the truck on Nitrous. More like but the fire out is like it. Then when he went to restart the truck it ignited the N20 and diesel fuel that had settled in the exh, and when it did it left the 6in stacks with such force it dented the cab and shot one of the 90's out from under the bed side after knocking it out about a foot.

So the morrel of the story is if you run lots of nitrous and ever stall the truck make dang sure you let it disapate before restarting the truck
Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 AM

prepping for nos

if a guy wanted to run nitros, are the main things he had to were just have a big enough turbo to hold, head studs, o-rings, and your good to go? and if so how big of a shot, and what kit... cuase i am very interested. also, wondered about what the difference is between wet and dry? and which one to go with...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ram2Pete
OK I got a story for you guys NOW THIS DID NOT HAPPEM TO MY TRUCK I was a an nhrda race last year with my buddies (I also race in the slower class) and in the finals of are faster truck class 13.99 and faster we had a truck running a little bit of N20. Well just after the previous race my buddy puts in a full bottle and turns the heater on, then after about 10 min of cooldown time he headed up to the lanes to make the final run for 1st and 2nd places and I head for the fence at about 1/2 track to watch. Well he does his burnout and stages the truck and then both truck start building boost for launch, then they launch and the next thing I know he is sitting on the starting line after stalling the truck so I turn to watch the other truck cross the line, and as I turn back around to see if he got his truck started I heard him crank it fallowed by a LOUD explosin which I felt and the stacks comming to rest with one on the ground next to the truck and the other on the bed cover. Then me and his crew cheif take off runnin to the staging lanes to see if he was all right witch he was. the track crew was picking them selves up off the track as we got there and he was getting out of the truck. So we first shut the Battery switch off, and then started picking up very HOT exhaust pieces, and pushed the truck off the track and towed it back to the trailer. now as to what had happened is that when he launched he killed the truck on Nitrous. More like but the fire out is like it. Then when he went to restart the truck it ignited the N20 and diesel fuel that had settled in the exh, and when it did it left the 6in stacks with such force it dented the cab and shot one of the 90's out from under the bed side after knocking it out about a foot.

So the morrel of the story is if you run lots of nitrous and ever stall the truck make dang sure you let it disapate before restarting the truck
Important safety tip...thanks. Sorry to hear that your friend learned this the hard way.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by fuel4me
if a guy wanted to run nitros, are the main things he had to were just have a big enough turbo to hold, head studs, o-rings, and your good to go? and if so how big of a shot, and what kit... cuase i am very interested. also, wondered about what the difference is between wet and dry? and which one to go with...
You don't need a big turbo for nitrous, what you need is a big wastegate to not overpseed the turbo.... You need to O-ring and stud the head as mentioned. There are lots of different kits out there and the one you choose needs to be matched to your HP goals. The best kit for the $$ right now IMHO is a NX SX2d. This is a dual stage kit which includes everything including a progressive controller, brackets, line, solenoids, nozzles, wiring, etc. Whatever kit you choose be sure it has large enough components, I have seen lots of kits that had too many limiting components on them therefore big HP was never realized. The difference between wet/dry kits is for gassers, on a gas motor the wet kit allows for extra fuel to be added so as not to lean out the mixture. For us diesels this is not a problem...... Although most diesel guys use a wet kit and spray nitrous in both the wet and nitrous side of the nozzle.

Doug Smith
Old 07-15-2006, 12:13 PM

What do you know about nitrous anyway??!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Jetpilot]You don't need a big turbo for nitrous, what you need is a big wastegate to not overpseed the turbo.... You need to O-ring and stud the head as mentioned. There are lots of different kits out there and the one you choose needs to be matched to your HP goals. The best kit for the $$ right now IMHO is a NX SX2d. This is a dual stage kit which includes everything including a progressive controller, brackets, line, solenoids, nozzles, wiring, etc. Whatever kit you choose be sure it has large enough components, I have seen lots of kits that had too many limiting components on them therefore big HP was never realized. The difference between wet/dry kits is for gassers, on a gas motor the wet kit allows for extra fuel to be added so as not to lean out the mixture. For us diesels this is not a problem...... Although most diesel guys use a wet kit and spray nitrous in both the wet and nitrous side of the nozzle.

Doug Smith

aight thanks for the tip. i will keep my eyes open then.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
With a fire extinguisher?

Chris