Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

KwikSpool B1B Lightning or Ball Bearing Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KwikSpool B1B Lightning or Ball Bearing Turbo

Is anyone using the KSB1 lightning and what do you think of it?

Is anyone using a ball bearing Turbo in the HX40/35 size? If so who makes it and what do you think about it?

Thanks,

George
Old 10-16-2003, 08:03 PM

Re:KwikSpool B1B Lightning or Ball Bearing Turbo

I don't think any are avaible to the public that are BB turbos for the Dodges yet, but they are being worked on HARD by SEVERAL places.

As for Kurt, he said this past weekend that he didn't think the BB's were a good idea for this market, did he change his mind since then. ???

Andrew
Old 10-16-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

[quote author=TxDieselKid link=board=7;threadid=21075;start=0#msg197840 date=1066352618]

As for Kurt, he said this past weekend that he didn't think the BB's were a good idea for this market, did he change his mind since then. ???

Andrew
[/quote]

Why because they are tougher and faster spooling or because the supplier & designer (....) of the B1, B1 qwick spool, B1B, B1 qwick spool tow, B2, Big Brother, etc. that Kurt buys the finished turbo's from, doesn't handle them?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:35 PM

[quote author=nascar mark link=board=7;threadid=21075;start=0#msg197867 date=1066357730]
Why because they are tougher and faster spooling or because the supplier & designer (....) of the B1, B1 qwick spool, B1B, B1 qwick spool tow, B2, Big Brother, etc. that Kurt buys the finished turbo's from, doesn't handle them?
[/quote]

which reminds me, I hear that yall are about to start selling a new line of turbos! 8)

Andrew
Old 10-16-2003, 11:46 PM

You will NOT go wrong with any of the B1 turbos ;D. I LOVE my full B1 (which NO 40/35 can touch) and I havent heard anything but possitive results from everyone else who has any of Yardleys chargers 8). Give Rod a call, he'll get ya set straight .
Dont mind all the doubters out there... I think they may be a LITTLE jealous of the quality product Rod and Yardley supply :.
Scott
Old 10-17-2003, 09:34 AM

Taken from the turbonetics website

Turbonetics created the ceramic ball bearing turbocharger for durability. By utilizing a single, ceramic, angular-contact ball bearing on the compressor side instead of the more common bronze piece, the ball bearing can absorb the thrust loading that all too often can lead to turbo failure in high performance gas applications. The Turbonetics ceramic ball bearing turbo can withstand up to 50 times the thrust load capacity, compared to a conventional floating bearing unit.

*Dual ball bearing turbos can only withstand 2-3 times more thrust loading than standard turbos.

The ceramic ball-bearing design reduces the frictional loss that occurs with a conventional floating bearing-and-thrust system turbo. The ceramic ball-bearing design allows the turbo to accelerate much quicker, thus decreasing spool-up time. In most cases we have found our ceramic ball-bearing designs require 50 percent less energy to drive the turbo.

That being said, I will have a BB turbo on my truck once one comes out!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:46 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been working on this for a while now. Last early spring I began data gathering for all the ins and outs of ball bearing turbos. Basically, the ball bearings are gonna save us roughly 500-600rpm in spool time. With a diesel that has a range of 3000-3500rpm...this is very substantial improvement.

We are working on billet wheels with maps to be slightly more efficient in the higher pressure ratio areas.

No new technology has been invented in todays wheels VS yesterdays wheels in efficiency in the lower pressure ratio areas. It was all hashed out over 40 years ago. Gasser and OEM Diesel maps anyway. Higher pressure ratios always mean surge in the low end ratios if the engine is small like the B. High pressure ratio wheels have been out for 40 plus years too. Heck INDY cars ran 75 plus PSI out of the singles they ran back when toluene was a legal fuel ;D The problem is.....you aint gonna touch an INDY turbo in the aftermarket thats affordable for the masses.

Time will tell. Actual hands on testing is already happening.

VGT became a technical nightmare for many end users and has been scraped at this time.

Don~

Old 10-17-2003, 10:36 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Dodgedually link=board=7;threadid=21075;start=0#msg197819 date=1066350193]
Is anyone using the KSB1 lightning and what do you think of it?
[/quote]

We've been gathering more and more data on the KSB1B's over the past few months, and they look to be about a 400 - 425HP turbo, with a small external waste, maybe 425 - 450HP. We're working with a 53mm waste to see if we can extend this power range a little more yet.

On the ball bearing front, as of today, there isn't anything commercially available that has enough legs to support 400 HP in a Cummins. We've been using the Garretts on the Fords with great success though. Little sweethearts of turbos.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring? We'd love to have a monster turbo that would spool yesterday, pass air like a set of twins, and be tougher than a B1. The guys who are building ball bearing turbos swear they can make this a reality, and in the next few months we'll definitely see a few releases.

Rod
Old 10-17-2003, 12:17 PM

Heck I'm getting excited. I want a single that is fast spooling that would be just the ticket.
DM01
Old 10-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Muted User

Big A$$'d compressor single ... W I D E map & spools like an HX40-16 ... hello high altitude towing single.