Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

KSB-1 sounds like 6.0???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KSB-1 sounds like 6.0???

I fired the truck up this afternoon to drive to dallas for the tranny and I noticed the turbo sounded really loud out the stacks. Started driving and sure enough it was screaming out the stacks (which by the way sounds very wicked). It sounded identical to what a 6.0 sounds with a straight pipe. I checked the shaft and it's got zero play. Shaft spins very easily and has plenty of oil flow. Boost numbers are normal cruising and WOT. EGT's are perfectly normal. Truck runs great, spools great, no smoke. I have no clue what it is but it's definately not right. It wasn't there this morning when I went to class but when I got out of class it started. I have no idea what to check. I put 200 miles on it at 70mph with a few WOT blasts and it never missed a beat. I wish I could leave it alone but it's not normal. I mean it literally sounds like a 6.0L turbo. Same pitch, tone, whistle. Inside the truck is normal but you can hear it with the windows down. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM

I've noticed on certain cooler days when the air is right my turbo definatley whistles more. I guess its just cooler dense air might have something to do with humidity also.

Jed
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

I would understand if it was the intake that changed but this is coming out of the stacks so it's on the exhaust side. This sound has never been there before. If it's still doing it when I get it back I'll get a sound clip up and let yall listen to it.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 PM

maybe someone dropped a few of those prank exhaust whistles down in your stacks haha!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Now which one of my friends would wanna do such a cruel thing.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 AM

hmmm, you got me Blue?!??!

everything tight? downpipe, air cleaner, anything rubbing?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 AM

Yea, my first thought was that one of your buddies threw a garrett bb on there for ya.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

Everything is tight with no leaks.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:28 PM
The Guru

Hows the spool-up? I'm bet that you have an air leak or an exhaust leak. Look for soot. Mine sounded funny and I found lots stuff wrong under my hood. A blown intake manifold gasket, blown turbo gaskets to exhaust manifold leaking. Start there. You still pulling the same boost as before? You egt's peg faster? It might be easy just to pull the turbo off and check. You could also check your turbo shaft/impeller thrust travel. Does it spin as easy as before? This stuff I check every oil change. I hate burnout turbo(s).
Old 11-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Spool up is normal if not better. No leaks. Checked it with the truck idling and there were no oil leaks or exhaust leaks, all the boots were nice and secure with no cuts, boost numbers were normal, no soot in places that it shouldn't have been. Shaft spins incredibly easy. No side to side or front to back play, no marks on the housing.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 PM

Soundclip Blue, Soundclip
Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

When I get the truck back I'll take a sound clip. It's really wicked sounding.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

Well no sound clip yet cause I keep forgetting but got some updated news on it. Noticed a small hole in the weld where the wastegate meets the exhaust manifold. Also noticed that there is a hole in the diaphram inside the wastegate.

Now, spoolup is definately lagging up to about 12psi. I know it's going to be slower with the tighter converter but it's almost ridiculous. Also, when I'm sitting in gear at a traffic light my egt's will creep up to about 500* and when I first fire the truck up in the morning EGT's will be reading 350* even when it's 30* outside so it definately sounds like something is plugging it but I have no idea what. Also, cruising down the freeway if I go to accelerate up a hill the EGT's will hit 1300* very rapidly and boost will maybe hit 10psi.

Any ideas yall? I haven't pulled the down pipe off yet to check the exhaust side yet.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Just guessing here, but with such a tight converter, the engine might be adding more fuel to hold the engine at 800 rpm idle, which would bring the EGTs up.

When I was running 15w40 dino oil, on a cold start, without touching the throttle, EGTs would come up to 400 degrees. I figured it was the thick oil causing the engine to work a little harder to keep it at idle. Since switching to synthetic 5w40, it doesn't do it.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Hmmm.....doubt it but MAYBE you got it hot enough to slightly bend the shaft......going out on a limb here but it was just a thought. As for the high temps i'd definately have to agree with tate....low rpm load=increased egt and we know that 89% definately puts a load on it......it aint no factory!

Quick Reply: KSB-1 sounds like 6.0???