Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

KSB-1/B2 Twins

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KSB-1/B2 Twins

I've been tossing this around in my head for a long time now and after talking to Rip I've just about settled on doing it cause he's got a very nice bolt up kit for it. Got a couple of questions though.

What kinda spool up can I expect from this setup? This is my daily driver and I don't want to worry about anything while driving.

I'm looking to make a minimum of 650hp with this truck. I'd really like to hit 700hp and keep the EGT's as low as possible. Yall think this setup would work for that?

Buddy of mine mentioned that maybe a 3b would work as well. It is cheaper than a B2 but can it support the kinda air I'm wanting to move? What other turbos should I be considering that can do what I'm looking to do?

I'm expecting somewhere around 65-70psi of boost out of this thing. The head will be taken care of before this happens so no worries there.

When I'm done my combo is hopefully gonna consist of:

TST COMP
Smarty
Mach 6's or 7's
Water/Meth (spring time)
ksb-1/??? twins
Helix 2
And if that don't hit my goal then I'll be adding nitrous
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM

I have been talking alot with Rip about this also. I have an S300/S400 twin set from Rip. I will be putting them on some time arround x-mas. Rip told me that the spool will change alot as to how you tune the top turbo. tight on the street for fast spool and loose on the track. hope that halps some.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

is your turbo gated?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

I've got a 38mm tial wastegate welded on to my manifold.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:23 PM

Not sure the Tial is going to work on the twins in its current location.. normally you flip the manifold over to move the small turbo up.. to give you a little more room.. Its going to be tight on the bottom side...
I like the piping on the B2/S400's better than the HT3B's.. I think they will flow a little better... Do some scouting.. there's lots of S400's out there..
What size housing on the turbo you are using now??? 14???
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

You'd have to ask rowland that. I've asked him numerous times and I can never remember.

Thought about the tial and flipping the manifold over. Might have to do something else since the ksb-1 is a non wastegated turbo.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

You could possibly fab up your own twins leaving the secondary in the stock location, and placing the primary in the area that the second batteray occupies... I've seen a few pics of it done this way on this site and also "Got.....Diesel?" on Cumminsforum.com has his HT3B setup like this. I have no idea if it affects anything other than the plumbing but it's food for thought so you don't have to replace your wastegate, manifold, etc...

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2006, 12:11 AM

You may need a bigger Primary to get 700hp. Like a Big Brother. With a B2 you can get close though...
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are quit a few pickups out there with b2's and 3b's makeing 700RWHP.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Nobody has hit 700 on #2 only with a 24v VP truck that I am aware of..... The b2 or HT3B is about the best primary size turbo we have tried, going larger doesn't increase HP on the 24v due to lack of fuel. There is one guy I am aware of who did 700 with a VP truck with his nitrous bottle off. But what was missed by most was there was still nitrous in the lines that sprayed and gave him the spike to hit it.

The combo you are looking at should make around 630 RWHP on #2 with some bigger sticks.
Doug
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Go for it Blue!!!!

The B2 will support 700 with a Cam, especially if you're going W/M and possibly Nitrous! With enough fuel, and cam and headwork it should make 700 on #2!

It will spool a little slower than what you're KSB1 does now, but the B2 should be right behind it! I wouldn't think you'd notice "much" loss in spoolup...even it you do, the cam will bring it back!

I wouldn't even consider a HT3B for what you're doing...it's old technology, and it works for so many people because it's cheap...but I have bough a few S400's and GT42's for a lot less than people can get HT3B's, and they are a newer designed, better flowing charger!

IMHO,
Chris
Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second what Chris says. S400/B-2 would be my choice.
That KSB-1 is basically equivalent to a 12cm2 housing...and plumbing it for twins with the external wastegate would have to be a total re-do on a different manifold. Ollie Poole has used 01's & 02's manifolds a fair prices, if interested.

External wastegate plumbed into the primary would work but that KSB-1 is still a desirable/marketable turbo. Might want to think about selling it and getting turbo with wastegate!
I was impressed with Bnolds twins from Rip, that you and I saw two weeks ago, but without the HX-35W on top! With a BD, Super B, twin exhaust ported, secondary, and Rip's S400 kit, you'd be set, IMO.

RJ
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Rips twins on my truck, with a HTT 62/14 on top of an S400. I really like the combo. I dyno'd 638hp, with Mach 6+'s. This was with the twins setup for dragracing, and not dynoing. Even at the track on 100+ degree days, EGT's never get about 1450. Depending on track conditions I run 65psi total boost, with 31 psi on the bottom turbo. If the starting line at the track will hold it, I will set it so that only 26psi is made on the bottom turbo, but still 65psi total. I have run as high as 75psi, but I didn't gain anything. No EGT reduction, or E.T. change.

Having the S400 as a bottom turbo makes a very clean install, because of the direction it rotates. I think you will be very happy with that combo, but you will want to either keep your external wastegate or get different turbo with an internal gate.

Paul
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 AM

A Super B would make a good top charger, especially over a B2!

Chris
Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Doug, I'm looking to make whatever I can with #2 and then go and do drugs. I know 700hp on #2 vp truck ain't been done yet. Would sure be nice to try though.

I'd like to keep the external gate because one it looks cool and two because it does a very nice job. Might need to fab something up.

If I was to sell this ksb-1, what would yall recommend I get in place of it? I need something that's gonna half way support my needs right now and still be a great turbo for a secondary on twins. I ain't impressed with my buddy's super b but I hear so many good things about it maybe I should give it another try? What about a 62? I know a lot about these trucks but when it comes to building twins I'm still a little in the dark so sorry for all of the questions.

Quick Reply: KSB-1/B2 Twins