Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Kinda' a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda' a dumb question

Ok, this might sound stupid. But what is the correct way to do a burnout on a standard transmission truck? I tried it tonight and I could get the tires to spin but it kept pushing the truck forward,even with the brakes mashed down. It just made the front tires screech along locked up.I guess Its probably because its a dually, lots of traction back there.I guess I just dont have the right technique.Its not something I want to do much, but when the need...you get the picture. I think I have enough power, can squeel a little in 4th on dry pavement Whats the trick?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Banned

Doing a power brake in a standard is pretty tough. Requires some quick foot action on the clutch, gas, and brake. I've never been able to master it.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 AM

You have to load up your torque converter and actually get the rears spining (not full throtle) then let of the brake and floor it. When you let off the brake it will lock the converter and you can lay a burnout for a pretty good while. This is how I do it. I try to only do it when its a little wet out though. It is quite a bit easier in the wet.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

Hard to load up the torque converter when you've got a stick.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 AM

put it in second get it up to around 2500rpm drop the clutch and mash the gas, as soon as the tires break loose hold down the brake.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And then you can participate in this thread! Click Here I'm guilty of doing some burnouts with my auto and I'm always wondering just how sick I'm gonna feel when it won't move under it's own power till I spend some big $$$.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Hard to load up the torque converter when you've got a stick.
they are not that heavy, just load it in the bed. tranny fluid might make a bit of a mess.

sorry i could not resist
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 AM

It's easy. Put the truck in 2nd, put the heel of your right foot on the brake pedal with your tows on the gas, left foot holding in the clutch, push the gas down and get the rpm up to about 2000 or so, while still holding the brake down with your heel. As the rpms come up release the clutch smoothly while increasing the gas. When the tires start spinning, roll into the gas enough to keep them spinning. Release brake.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:51 AM

Im sorry it was late. Though putting it in the bed is a good reply.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Yeah with a dually it is a little tough to keep them front tires stuck to the ground until they actually break loose and start spinning. 4 tires against 2 is an unfair advantage The best thing to do if you are actually planning on doing it rather than spur of the moment, take some black magic tire wet ( or something along those lines ) and spray it on the tread on your tires, that will make them spin very easily!! Same principal as the bleach method used back in the day!!!

~Nick
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Yeah with a dually it is a little tough to keep them front tires stuck to the ground until they actually break loose and start spinning. 4 tires against 2 is an unfair advantage The best thing to do if you are actually planning on doing it rather than spur of the moment, take some black magic tire wet ( or something along those lines ) and spray it on the tread on your tires, that will make them spin very easily!! Same principal as the bleach method used back in the day!!!

~Nick

well that 4 against 2 thing is all wrong according to the guys who discussed tug-o-war in another thread where they went through the physics to prove that a dually will spin easier because each tire has a smaller contact patch and less friction compared all the weight being placed on 2 tires in the rear. i mean you tell me, which has more traction on dry pavement...a dually or SRW truck????

BTW this is completely sarcastic as i laughed when i read the tug-o-war thread about how the dually arent as good because they spin easier
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM

i can get mine to burn them thru 4 gear, maybe 5th haven't tried. but you have to get the turbo to spool up or it will sit there and lug or drag the front tires. ok here you go take the clutch out in 1st then you start hitting the go pedal and at the same time start appling the brakes. don't put the brakes on all the way, just like you are stopping at a light. then as soon as you hear the turbo spool up you start mashing down on the brakes and the tires should brake loose. the only thing that suckes is you are rpm limited so the tires don't spin very fast. as soon as you get that one down you can try shifting. that takes a little practice. just remember start rolling first then turbo spool then mash the brakes and you will have no tread in no time.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM

I've got an auto but I feel a lot less push on the front wheels if I get the speed of the rear tires up. It would probabily be easier if you could start the burnout in 2nd or 3rd to keep the rears spinning FAST!

I don't have to do that because the auto will automatically shift up and increase the wheel speed after I start the burnout.