Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

killed ANOTHER pump with too much fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by high country
I asked my pump guy about the ulsd and the 7100.....he said well, the p pump is doing better then the rotarys are, but pretty much all the older pumps are gonna leak....and pertty bad. it is only gonna get worse. he was kinda happy cause he is burried in work.
What would cause the leaking? Is the ULSD less viscous than the old stuff?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 AM

Wcbcruzer,
The leaking seals are directly related to the new ULSD and how it's made. By using extreme heat to remove the sulfur in LSD to get it to ULSD specs, the refineries are also removing (not purposely, but as a by-product) most of the petroleum aromatics in it as well. The problem arises because the aromatics like certain petroleum products will cause certain types of seals to "swell" a bit. That is normal. When these aromatics are taken out of the LSD with the high temperatures, the ability of the cleaner ULSD to keep seals "swollen" is greatly reduced. So, seals that have run immersed in LSD for many miles and have swollen to a certain point, will tend to shrink when the newer, cleaner, aromatic-free ULSD is used on a regular basis. It happens slowly over time but it WILL happen. The problem was considered a serious one and several internal memos by Chevron engineers pointed to very little to no way of correcting the problem. Their only solution was to alert OEM's of the problem and to have them suggest to vehicle owners with potentially leak-prone equipment to have their seals retrofitted to meet the requirements of the new ULSD fuel. It's a problem that is going to escalate. Seals that may have spent years running in LSD will take longer to shrink/leak than those that are newer and haven't run all that long. The good thing is that vehicles with low mileage and less run time on the older LSD shouldn't show much if any affect from running ULSD. Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarCTD
Wcbcruzer,
The leaking seals are directly related to the new ULSD and how it's made. By using extreme heat to remove the sulfur in LSD to get it to ULSD specs, the refineries are also removing (not purposely, but as a by-product) most of the petroleum aromatics in it as well. The problem arises because the aromatics like certain petroleum products will cause certain types of seals to "swell" a bit. That is normal. When these aromatics are taken out of the LSD with the high temperatures, the ability of the cleaner ULSD to keep seals "swollen" is greatly reduced. So, seals that have run immersed in LSD for many miles and have swollen to a certain point, will tend to shrink when the newer, cleaner, aromatic-free ULSD is used on a regular basis. It happens slowly over time but it WILL happen. The problem was considered a serious one and several internal memos by Chevron engineers pointed to very little to no way of correcting the problem. Their only solution was to alert OEM's of the problem and to have them suggest to vehicle owners with potentially leak-prone equipment to have their seals retrofitted to meet the requirements of the new ULSD fuel. It's a problem that is going to escalate. Seals that may have spent years running in LSD will take longer to shrink/leak than those that are newer and haven't run all that long. The good thing is that vehicles with low mileage and less run time on the older LSD shouldn't show much if any affect from running ULSD. Hope this helps.

ummm, what he said.....minus the chevron memo stuff.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Great info to know. Where do you guys learn this stuff??
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Great info to know. Where do you guys learn this stuff??
Just stick around and you'll be as smart as the rest of us.
While i was working on some pumps at a local Terminal is asked about the lubricity of the ULSD. They told me that they put lube in the fuel as it is pumped into the tankers. Didn't tell me what it was tough. I still run PS in everytank.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
I still run PS in everytank.
Tell me about it. That alone will burn a hole in your wallet. And I think PS got more expensive at wally world!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Tell me about it. That alone will burn a hole in your wallet. And I think PS got more expensive at wally world!
See don't ya feel smarter already?
This site has taught me soo much about my truck and the Mighty Cummins.