Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Keyless entry lock/unlock issue on my 2001

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless entry lock/unlock issue on my 2001

I've got a 2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel SLT. I had a keyless entry system installed (Audiovox Keyless Entry APS-45)
Here's a link to the manual:
http://auto.manualsonline.com/manual...vox/aps45.html

Anyhow, the fobs have given it up. So I bought a Clarion K20 from Amazon thinking it would be an easy install.

I've got the red (power), yellow (ignition), black (ground), white (parking lights) all hooked up and it works fine.

I've got 2 wires from the old setup to lock/unlock the doors. Red locks, Green unlocks. If I hook either one up to the Lt. Green/Black wire (factory alarm disarm) it will trigger the door locks. So it looks like it needs a negative pulse. Problem is I've tried connecting all the unlock/lock wires and it appears that NONE of them trigger the **** locks.

The installation guide references a Tech Tip 1041 but Clarion only lets authorized dealers access this document. I tried calling Clarion but they're not helpful--they want you to have their products installed. Why do they sell them via Amazon then?!?!?!

The red/green wires for the door locks goes to some relays that are in the kick panel. Do I need to wire it up differently using more wires to get it to work?

Please help--I'm about ready to return this thing to amazon and go burn down the clarion office in Cypress!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I had a look at my 2001 WD manual, it shows + for BOTH the lock and unlock. It does NOT show any relays as the CTM controls the door locks. So the relays must have been added with the last installation.
First I would ensure that your truck is the same as the 2001. If so then try bypassing the relays and hook straight into the triggers going to the CTM using the "wire positive switched door locks" from your after market WD. If you want a two stage door unlock then you will have to use a relay but with only two doors it's kind of pointless.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip... I kinda wondered if I'd have to just tear it all apart and start from scratch... I guess I was hoping it would be easier.

I ended up getting my hands on the Tech Tip 1041 doc, so I think I might have a chance of figuring it out now.