Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Keeping your BHAF cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping your BHAF cool

I was just reading a thread on a Scotty 11 install where they cut a hole in the firewall to get cooler air. Could a person not use this same idea if he made sort of a funnel shaped air tube from the firewall over the end of the BHAF. Would this not direct cooler air to it as you are traveling down the road or street. It was just a thought that I had.
I would be interested in others ideas of keeping their BHAF cool in addition to using a heat shield.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM

Exclamation

Boy my question must have really been dumb,either that or someone is already trying to get a patent on my idea. Which one is it guys.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been thinking the same thing...I have read here (and I can't remember who it is that has it) that you can run some 4" PVC from the front airdam up to the air filter heat shield to funnel in cooler air. There was a big argument about the merits of this because the turbo heats the air anyway which is why we have the intercooler. I think it would be fun to try and see how it affects power and mileage. Besides the ductwork would be cool. I think the only major issue is how to make it all work, keep it away from the turbo and the oilfilter. Seems like a fun project though. Hopefully someone who has seen it or done it can weigh in.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 PM

I did the PVC to behind the bumper on my 04.5. It worked excellant and seems to have brought the MPG up sum. My filter minder barely budges now where it used to hit redline after one pull on a fresh fleetgaurd filter! The truck is much happier and the passengers can tell a noticable difference in sound/smoke reduction. I cant comment on EGTs as the 600 engines run freakin hot. If my 95 runs 600 EGTs then the 600 is usually running 950.
I have been meaning to give the PVC airbox a try on the 95 but havent figured out a way to run it yet. Looks like 3" will work.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Now I have to give it a try!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 PM

Got pictures?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sawyer1
I would be interested in others ideas of keeping their BHAF cool in addition to using a heat shield.
Sounds like a good idea, but dunno if the results would be worth the effort.
BTW I thought you guys had plenty of cold air availible in kanada =P
Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sawyer1
I was just reading a thread on a Scotty 11 install where they cut a hole in the firewall to get cooler air. Could a person not use this same idea if he made sort of a funnel shaped air tube from the firewall over the end of the BHAF.
No stupid questions!
When I installed twins, could no longer use the Scotty II, but I left the hole open. Plan on testing with and with out, but have not as yet.

Just makes sense to me that the ram air effect from the cowl can only help! It's all directed at the filter...so I see no need for the "air tube" you mention. IF it's competing with any hot air coming around the heat shield....I bet the cool, ram air will win!

The heat shields must be worthwhile, all Mfg's are using them. Have one on your BHAF?

RJ
Old 06-16-2006, 10:12 AM

The temperature drop will help quite a bit.

Theres many calculators out there where you plug in your intake temps, turbo effeciency, intercooler effeciency, and see the output temp.

The intake (pre-turbo) temps due have say in the final temps after the intercooler.

Get some dryer hose and run it to an ice chest of dry ice on your passenger floorboard
Old 06-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Sounds like a good idea, but dunno if the results would be worth the effort.
BTW I thought you guys had plenty of cold air availible in kanada =P
We have our days when it gets as hot as south of the border.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
No stupid questions!
When I installed twins, could no longer use the Scotty II, but I left the hole open. Plan on testing with and with out, but have not as yet.

Just makes sense to me that the ram air effect from the cowl can only help! It's all directed at the filter...so I see no need for the "air tube" you mention. IF it's competing with any hot air coming around the heat shield....I bet the cool, ram air will win!

The heat shields must be worthwhile, all Mfg's are using them. Have one on your BHAF?

RJ
Yes I have a shield on mine but I haven't really worked the truck to see how hot the filter gets. It has been raining here since Monday so it's been fairly cool.
I have also thought about making a shield up front by the intercooler to direct air behind the headlight and down the fender like the original air box uses. I think if the fender was blocked just past the outlet to the filter that it would have somewhat of a ram air effect.
Has anyone tried this idea?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:44 PM

I had a 1998 Tacoma one time, the box the filter sat in had an elbow that jetted out the passenger side fender. There was a peice of plastic covering it from the tire area. It should be cooler air than the engine compartment.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
.... When I installed twins, could no longer use the Scotty II, but I left the hole open. Plan on testing with and with out, but have not as yet.RJ
I did a quick test, with and without Scotty II hole, using Max Boost as a measurement, Not the best way to test temps, but it was a place to start. Any difference might indicate hotter, thinner air (without the hole) was reducing WOT power... maybe?
Test showed no difference in max boost...with or without the hole!
Proper test will be to measure air intake temps, at the air horn! Will do so...when I can find the time

FWIW... this test was done, a few yrs back, with BHAF vs Stock air box (outside air) and the difference in the air horn was 5 degrees. May not sound like much but I suspect it is... in HP!

RJ