Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Are K&N's really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are K&N's really that bad?

I have been reading that the k&n is a bad way to go. I have a 6"x9" cylinder on mine with a precharger and haven't had any problem's yet? (yet being the key word). I've read that the metal mesh gets sucked into the turbo, and that the oil from the filter can get sucked into the turbo as well, how realistic are these symtoms? I'm short on cash and not ready to spend any money on a new air filter system, since diesel is at $3.45 a gallon . Thanks for your guy's input, Tim.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottl
I have been reading that the k&n is a bad way to go. I have a 6"x9" cylinder on mine with a precharger and haven't had any problem's yet? (yet being the key word). I've read that the metal mesh gets sucked into the turbo, and that the oil from the filter can get sucked into the turbo as well, how realistic are these symtoms? I'm short on cash and not ready to spend any money on a new air filter system, since diesel is at $3.45 a gallon . Thanks for your guy's input, Tim.

Our '97 had one in it when we bought it. It is not in there now. If you don't want a new system go buy a BHAF. Slips in and can be had between $30 and $50. Also flows a lot of air and lasts a long time.

Randy
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
GSP

I have a K&N on mine and ran K&N on my Chevy and jeep . There is nothing wrong with them and they are good filters. This is the internet and you get all kinds of wanna be experts with their opinions. There are some very knowledgeable people that post also. The Uni filter used on the scottys unit is a oil soaked filter also. "The mesh gets sucked into the turbo" give me a break! A goose flying by might get sucked into your turbo too.

Run your K&N and dont worry about it
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Registered

ive herd that the oil gets sucked into the turbo and then dirt gets through the filter and sticks to the oil. I dont run one, but thats because i have a BHAF. im no expert but it makes sence jmo
Old 10-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Before I bought my truck, the previous owner only used the stock replacement air filters. When I bought it, I put in a k&n air filter and straight piped the exhaust. In less than 3 months I noticed that there was an oil film on the inlet to the turbo, and on the blades. About a month later I checked again, and it was much worse. Dirt and dust was collecting and starting to build up. I removed the k&n, cleaned the turbo inlet and compressor wheel the best I could and put on a BHAF. Since then I have put on about 20,000 miles and it still looks the same as the day I cleaned them off. I now know not to run an oiled K&N filter on my truck. Just my .02
Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by GSP
"The mesh gets sucked into the turbo" give me a break! A goose flying by might get sucked into your turbo too.

Run your K&N and dont worry about it
LOL, **** that is funny
that was my thoughts, personally i haven't seen any oil on my turbo fins, but haven't looked in awhile, BUT i know that alot of people over oil the k&n filter, so that might have something to do with the oil on the turbo fins.

With the bhaf, don't u guys get water on them from driving in the rain?????, i know that water will get between the crack of hood and top of the fender. Water on a paper filter is worse then oil in my opinion, but maybe not.

Please keep the info coming, its appreiciated.
-Tim.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I think the biggest worry with the K&N is that since it flows much more air, logically it doesn't filter nearly as well as a paper filter. Now, that may not be a big worry on a gas engine, but a diesel consumes about 7 times more air than a comparable gas engine. Also, we all expect our Cummins to run happily for a million miles. That adds up to a lot of air passing through the filter into the engine.

Just my opinion. I've put K&N filters into several of my vehicles over the years, but not this one.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
I think the biggest worry with the K&N is that since it flows much more air, logically it doesn't filter nearly as well as a paper filter. Now, that may not be a big worry on a gas engine, but a diesel consumes about 7 times more air than a comparable gas engine. Also, we all expect our Cummins to run happily for a million miles. That adds up to a lot of air passing through the filter into the engine.

Just my opinion. I've put K&N filters into several of my vehicles over the years, but not this one.
....well stated!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 PM

Torquefan pretty much nailed it.

I believe it is the massive volume of air that these engines suck is the biggest problem.
I've run K&N's on every gas vehicle I have owned and never had a problem. Ran one on a 850 HP 429 powered Ford Class 8 off road race truck in the ugliest conditions you can find in the desert and never had a problem.
Put one on my 02 CTD and sucked the oil out of it like it was going out of style. They are an awesome filter but not necessarily do they work on ALL vehicles.
I run a Scotty now with a UNI and run it hard and so far haven't had any issues with pulling oil out of it. I think the pre filter foam has something to do with it by slowing the air down somewhat.....who knows, not sure on that one.

Personally, I would run a BHAF before I would put another K&N on but that is my opinion. And I never had a problem with the BHAF's when I was running them.

You ask 10 people on this board a question and you will get 10 different answers. What is stated by each person doesn't have to be taken as the written word. Use what you think will work best for your application and use and go from there.

I'll sit down now.....

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by oestreich84
Before I bought my truck, the previous owner only used the stock replacement air filters. When I bought it, I put in a k&n air filter and straight piped the exhaust. In less than 3 months I noticed that there was an oil film on the inlet to the turbo, and on the blades. About a month later I checked again, and it was much worse. Dirt and dust was collecting and starting to build up. I removed the k&n, cleaned the turbo inlet and compressor wheel the best I could and put on a BHAF. Since then I have put on about 20,000 miles and it still looks the same as the day I cleaned them off. I now know not to run an oiled K&N filter on my truck. Just my .02
What he said. When I had a K&N, I found oil in the air ducting from the turbo fins on through. Also, dust in the air tube from the filter to the turbo. Got a BHAF and everything is clean.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:49 PM

What about water on the bhaf though??, because water will get on it during a rainstorm on the interstate, or a little offroading, i know this from the fact that i've had water on the k&n precharger.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 AM

KN is a good filter. But if I can get the same filter from AFE; I would take that one.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Under normal driving my filter has not been wet from wet roads. Even when going through 2 feet of mud and water off road, the outerwears cover just repels the moisture. For $30 I get a filter that cleans out 99.9% of dust and other particles, and it should last me almost 100,000 miles.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TIM
I had good luck with my K&N FIPK. Never had oil or dust in the intake tube....and the improved performance of my Scotty II, over the K&N was less than other brands seem to notice.

The secret to good results from a K&N is NOT to over oil it, and not to clean it till absolutely needed. I ran factory oiled filter for 65,000 miles with no trouble.

That's my $.02 anyway.

RJ
Old 10-20-2005, 08:17 AM

Just get the outerwears cover for the BHAF and you don't have to worry about water, so much. Just don't submerge the truck

Quick Reply: Are K&N's really that bad?