Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

K&N vs Scotties

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N vs Scotties

Running a K&amp;N Air Injection without the air box and was wondering if anyone here has run this system and Scotties, If so how does it compare performance wise were EGT's lower compard to Scotties.<br><br>Thanks,<br>FreightTrain Wayneo,
Old 06-22-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Re:K&N vs Scotties

Good luck getting a responce to this question. ;D Call Scotty himself. I'm sure he would be happy to talk comparisons. I hear guys really like the Scotty system.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:23 PM

Type in Scotty II in the search option- you'll be reading for days. I've heard nothing but good comments on the scotty
Old 06-22-2003, 09:42 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

I don't believe we've ever directly replaced a K&amp;N Aircharger system on a Cummins, but the K&amp;N product is virtually identical to the MegaCannon. As such, the Scotty system in dual inlet mode should easily outperform it (as long as the truck requires the extra air), and in Hush mode, should yield similar exhaust gas temperature reductions, if not a little better.<br><br>Rod
Old 06-22-2003, 10:48 PM

Ok, this gonna be a little long, read it or not. Rod, you are becoming a little to conservative, IMHO. I will expound on that statement in a minute. One that other website the membership numbers about 1.5% of total CTD owners. We are diesel truck enthusiasts and do things to our pride and joys. I would be willing to bet that a very large number and a large number of owners on this site at a minimum have aftermarket injectors of some sort. More fuel needs more air. Add a box and you need more air. Do your research, do it once and do it right. Get a Scotty 2. (not affiliated with Scotty or Rod in any way except as an extremely satisfied customer.) Now Rod, you are starting to use disclaimers like &quot;as long as the truck requires extra air&quot;. You and I know why you are saying that. Then you talk about &quot;hush mode&quot;. Ok, your business, state it the way you want but don't be apolegetic. You have a great product. So the Scotty 2 w/cowl opening can be a little noisy. Yeah, if you take out the silencer ring and run maybe a HX40 or bigger. These trucks (except the 03's) are noisy anyway. People straight pipe them, change exhausts, get drone and do they complain to much about that? No, so what's the big deal with some who complain about the Scotty 2 and the noise. There are enough Scotty 2 equipped trucks around that potential customers could probably ride in before they buy that they could make up their own mind. Run the Scotty 2 the way Scotty designed it, open up the cowl, lower your EGT's, when properly fueled, and run CooOOl air.<br><br>Thank you for your indulgence,<br><br>Roger
Old 06-23-2003, 06:56 AM

[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=16213;start=0#152280 date=1056340088]<br>Ok, this gonna be a little long, read it or not. Rod, you are becoming a little to conservative, IMHO. I will expound on that statement in a minute. One that other website the membership numbers about 1.5% of total CTD owners. We are diesel truck enthusiasts and do things to our pride and joys. I would be willing to bet that a very large number and a large number of owners on this site at a minimum have aftermarket injectors of some sort. More fuel needs more air. Add a box and you need more air. Do your research, do it once and do it right. Get a Scotty 2. (not affiliated with Scotty or Rod in any way except as an extremely satisfied customer.) Now Rod, you are starting to use disclaimers like &quot;as long as the truck requires extra air&quot;. You and I know why you are saying that. Then you talk about &quot;hush mode&quot;. Ok, your business, state it the way you want but don't be apolegetic. You have a great product. So the Scotty 2 w/cowl opening can be a little noisy. Yeah, if you take out the silencer ring and run maybe a HX40 or bigger. These trucks (except the 03's) are noisy anyway. People straight pipe them, change exhausts, get drone and do they complain to much about that? No, so what's the big deal with some who complain about the Scotty 2 and the noise. There are enough Scotty 2 equipped trucks around that potential customers could probably ride in before they buy that they could make up their own mind. Run the Scotty 2 the way Scotty designed it, open up the cowl, lower your EGT's, when properly fueled, and run CooOOl air.<br><br>Thank you for your indulgence,<br><br>Roger<br>[/quote]<br><br>What he said
Old 06-23-2003, 09:37 AM

[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=16213;start=0#152280 date=1056340088]<br>1) Rod, you are becoming a little to conservative, IMHO.<br><br>2) Now Rod, you are starting to use disclaimers like &quot;as long as the truck requires extra air&quot;.<br>[/quote]<br><br> Ack, can't be called conservative. Ok, how's this:<br><br>The Scotty II is gonna blow the doors off the K&amp;N, or any other air system in existence. <br><br>Better? <br><br>Seriously though, we do want to ensure that we're adequately informing customers about how an air system performs at a variety of power levels. There is a pile of disinformation floating around out there about air systems (by air systems, I mean _all_ air systems) on the 2nd Gen trucks, and we want to ensure that no-one gets hooked or has a bad experience. Under 300 BHP, an air system just isn't going to buy you much. Probably some better spool-up, and probably a few degrees of EGT reduction. After the 300 - 320 pony mark, then the air systems start to take effect.<br><br>Personally, I think the Scotty II is way above and beyond any of the other air units out there. Up to the 350 HP, you can run it in Hush mode and get every bit as much EGT reduction as an open filter element with a heat shield, and run quieter too. After 350 HP, you can crank open the cowl hole, and be assured that there is _nothing_ on the market thats flowing as much air nor giving the same EGT reductions.<br><br>Rod
Old 06-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=Push Rod link=board=7;threadid=16213;start=0#152390 date=1056379059]
[quote author=Racer57 link=board=7;threadid=16213;start=0#152280 date=1056340088]
1) Rod, you are becoming a little to conservative, IMHO.

2) Now Rod, you are starting to use disclaimers like &quot;as long as the truck requires extra air&quot;.
[/quote]

Ack, can't be called conservative. Ok, how's this:

The Scotty II is gonna blow the doors off the K&amp;N, or any other air system in existence.

Better?

Rod
[/quote]

Actually won't that be suck the doors off?
Scottys suck CooOOooOOooOOooL Air
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 AM

Ok here goes!<br><br>I ran a K&amp;N in the truck for a long time. Started to see oil on the turbo. Yikes! Then I bombed the truck, and my EGT's were outrageous. So a local shop said try the AFE mega cannon. I did, and it helped at about 50 degrees. Not much help there, and it took a long time for the temp to drop too. So in VA. at the roundup, I meet Scotty. Awesome Dude, but I think Amore could have taken him on any event (NOT ) He and I talked about the Scotty II. I put it in the truck, cut the hole, and down the road I went. On a casual drive I found that the Scotty system decreased my EGT's by 200 degrees. [glow=blue]WOW[/glow]!!!<br><br>I ran it on the dyno and was pleased with my run. Well on the way back to Kentucky, we were running speeds of 70 to well much higher. Thanks JohnP for getting me into the high speed lanes.<br><br>At 85 mph, my EGT's were sitting on 750 degrees. This is pre turbo numbers. With the AFE on thw way down, the same speed was at 1050 to 1100 degrees. So you can see the difference. Plus when you get off the go pedal, you will watch your gauge crash down to 300 degrees in a split second.<br><br>Thanks Scotty for the item that really does SUCK COOOOOOOLLLL AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>The sound is awesome by the way. Its not loud at all. I am not affiliated with Wildcat diesel. So this is just a happy owner speaking up. Got Milk loves his tooooooo!!!! ;D 8)
Old 06-23-2003, 12:06 PM

The Scotty 2 is also good at finding lost change in the glove box. <br><br>I have tried a few different combinations and the Scotty 2 has been the best.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:29 PM

I have tried MANY different air set-ups in many different trucks. So far I will tell you what I found. Before I do, These were unofficial tests I conducted on two trucks just to satisfy my own curiosity. <br><br>Worst filter set up for power and EGT. Any open element to the engine compartment. (read turbo heat) Much higher intake air temp that results in higher EGT, quicker EGT rise and lower HP.<br><br>Best Set-up I saw before trying Scotty II was a highly modified factory air box with K&amp;N drop in.<br><br>The Scotty II lowered EGT's on a 400+ hp truck nearly 250 degrees but most importantly the rise of EGT's were slower due to less intake air temperature.<br><br>The Scotty works. The only place you will not see a big gain is on the dyno. It needs moving air to really shine. Is there one on my truck? Of course, I get what works!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:33 PM

Location: Friends Don&#039;t let Friends Drive Power Jokes!!!

Well yall made that choice easy 8)<br><br>After I get done with adding the feeder pump &amp; regulator I am working on I'll place my order to Scotty....And about noise, I ride a Softail Custom w/Samson Street Sweeper drag pipes, I like noise ;D <br><br>OH...Anyone interested in a good new used K&amp;N air injection set up, If not it might look good on my weed eater <br><br>Thanks for the info<br>FreightTrain Wayneo
Old 06-23-2003, 04:11 PM

The only problem I see with this thread is that we need some way to get it scrolled off before Scotty gets home from Virginia. His ego will be so danged out of control after reading the above, that it'll take me months of abusing him to get it even somewhat under control.<br><br> <br><br>Rod
Old 06-23-2003, 04:34 PM

[quote author=Push Rod link=board=7;threadid=16213;start=0#152496 date=1056402689]<br>The only problem I see with this thread is that we need some way to get it scrolled off before Scotty gets home from Virginia. His ego will be so danged out of control after reading the above, that it'll take me months of abusing him to get it even somewhat under control.<br><br> <br><br>Rod<br>[/quote]<br><br>Can I help? ;D
Old 06-23-2003, 06:14 PM

I'll help also,,,,gotta keep them Penguin Pumpers down.

Quick Reply: K&N vs Scotties