Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

K & N problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rare1
Yes, I agree. But you had almost 3 times the silicon with only twice the milage. Why?
Does the FIPK II system have more surface area than the K&N in the stock box?
The analysis with 11 PPM Silicon was a one time test....not a pattern or a trend. IMO, It would only take one time passing a truck going the other way on a dirt road, to cause varying results....or one trip through a West Texas dust storm!
What I'm saying is 3 times the Silicon, in twice the miles, may or may not be the average occurance?

It is important to realize that oil analysis ONLY measures very small particulate. I do not remember the exact size. The spectrometer is not set up to register larger items....assuming, I believe, that the oil filter will catch those. My point is...11 PPM , I believe, is a very small amount. It does not get "flagged" by the analysizing computer....so is it not safe to assume it is not tearing up the engine?
At the same time...less is better....but let's not lose sleep over a very small number of very small particles floating around in our oil. This is, as always, just one mans opinion.

I think Eric is right! Flow vs Filtration is a balancing act....just like spoolup vs high rpm air flow. How much is too much getting by the air filter? Wish I knew for sure.

The FIPK II filter has very large pleats and, based on flow, does have much more surface area than the K&N drop in filter. It did, start to block flow around 450 hp, or better said, around 45-50 psi boost, IMO. EGT's jumped and air suction noise got louder. The Scotty II solved this problem, for me....but up to that point, I was very happy with my K&N.

RJ
Old 06-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting! I have been running a K&N filter on my truck for a while and I always thought that you guys that were bashing K&Ns were full of it. I had my oil analyzed and the report said that there where no abnormal findings... Well according to Rare 1 I have a problem. The report shows 4 ppm silicon. Well maybe Rare 1 is full of it. What to do? I called the lab that did the report and when I asked them about the report they told me that they stand behind their report. NO ABNORMAL FINDINGS. When I asked them what the Silicon was they said most likely some sort of sand. I work at alot of Concrete Block / Ready Mix Concrete plants and there is plenty of sand around. I then asked if they thought that sand was normal in oil. (Maybe it's a secret ingredient in the Mobil 1 that I put in my truck). The guy said of course not but all oil get some silicon in it. He then went on to explain to me that if oil didn't get dirty they wouldn't put OIL FILTERS on cars and trucks. (I never would have gotten that one on my own) When I asked him how much is normal he said that he sees silicon levels up and down and he didn't know what normal was. He also said that because he tests fleet trucks and quarry/ mining equipment that inflated silicon levels are often found. Then the guy told me that I shouldn't be to concerned about the silicon levels because my wear metals where all at 0. So what to do? Well I think I'll buy a new filter... Thanks Rare 1 for opening my eyes on filters. I'm pretty sure that the sand didn't come with the Mobil 1...
Topper
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Topper
Interesting! . The report shows 4 ppm silicon. So what to do? Well I think I'll buy a new filter... Thanks Rare 1 for opening my eyes on filters. I'm pretty sure that the sand didn't come with the Mobil 1...Topper
If I read you correctly...you are worried about Silicon at 4 parts per MILLION!!...in a normal oil change interval...on a truck around a"alot of concrete block/ready mix concrete plants..."???
Good Luck finding much better!

RJ
Old 06-29-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
4 ppm is just fine, it's rare to see it much lower.
In my study of silicon in oil analysis just opening up the valve covers for service or any other oiled part of the engine is enough to raise the silicon a few ppm. Also poor sampling habits can raise silicon.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 AM

I've had a K&N replacement filter for about 40k. I've never seen any grit on the turbo or the intake tube. Granted I don't have my truck mega bombed, but I've had very good experience with K&N filters and I know quite a few others without complaints also.

For those of you that have bigger turbos, injectors, etc. then I wouldn't use the stock airbox anyway. A flat filter doesn't work with high HP. Too much flex.

Just my 0.2
Old 06-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I apologize to everyone on this thread for not making my point clear. I didn't realize what my point was until I re-read the posts, including mine. Here's my point: Given that third-party testing shows that K&N passes more dirt than a paper filter, and that many people have reported problems with them, it is prudent that a K&N user have regular oil analysis. Absence of grit in your intake passages or "my friends like their K&N" is not a substitute for actually KNOWING what's in your oil.

Discussion:
I use 3-4 PPM silicon as a baseline "good" number because that's what I got with a good paper filter, in my stock box. Some people get this with K&N, I got much higher with the K&N installed in my stock box for only half an oil change interval. Did I get a bad filter? I don't know. I may have made mistakes with sample collection or filter installation even though I am very careful. Anyway, I replaced the K&N with a good paper filter, but did not discard it yet. As I posted at my last oil change, I will run one oil change interval with oil analysis to see if my PPM goes back to normal. Then I will reinstall the K&N for another OCI with oil analysis. If my PPM silicon goes up again I will report back to this forum.

Aside:
Silicon, and air filter efficiency, is not the only reason to have regular oil analysis, from the same lab each time. With consistant mileage between oil changes, an analysis at each oil drain creates a track record to monitor wear metals, water or fuel in oil, soot, and additive levels. When a value jumps up from normal on your report you can catch a problem before your engine self-destructs.

Aside #2:
My engine performance, mildly BOMBed, is the same with NAPA Gold paper filter or with the K&N, in the stock box. I have the K&N by mistake when I asked my brother to pick up a filter for me in a small town. Were it not for my oil analysis at each drain, I would not have known I had a filtration problem, and would still have the K&N in there.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Some people don't check there K & N filters for holes...

Hold you K & N filter up to block the sun out and look for small holes of light pouring through... If you see any holes in the media it's time to throw it out! Lot of people don't check for these kind of things on a reuseable filter media!

I prefer paper elements. If you want to increase volume of air through a filter then increase the size of the filter. Get a BHAF instead.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 PM

Some of you on here have way too much time on your hands. You are talking PARTS PER MILLION you get more crap in your motor from the diesel. Your fuel filter isn't 100% effective I can guarantee that . Also, do you really think it matters in the long run if you do an oil analysis each time? C'mon, no it doesn't. Unless you actually run the truck in a test lab there are too many variables. As long as you change it on time and use good oil and filters. Your engine isn't going to break down or self desruct.

K&N filters are fine to use as long as they are properly seated in the box. Or the wire mesh isn't falling out. If you can't see or feel any dirt in the intake then it won't hurt!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 PM

I took off my K&N because my tubo blades were always coated with filter oil. I'm running a NAPA 2790 and am very pleased with this set up.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Mopar1973man
Some people don't check there K & N filters for holes...

Hold you K & N filter up to block the sun out and look for small holes of light pouring through... If you see any holes in the media it's time to throw it out!
Every K&N filter I've ever seen, every one without exception, has these "holes". K&N claims there's actually a thin, transparent film of oil across them, which effectively traps the dirt. (And how does that film let the air through, I asked them. They didn't answer.)

AFE's have "holes", but far less of them. The AFE PG-7 is the only oiled filter I've seen without the characteristic "pinlights".
Old 07-09-2005, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by rebal
I ran a set of 2 on sand rail and the K&N let so much dirt though you would be shocked I would have to pull the carbs down and clean them EVERY time i came back from a run. K&N

you probably FORGOT to oil the filter.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
With that foam prefilter, and i dont see any reason it wont filter, and flow as good as any filter out there.

Eric
I gotta filter I'd put up against your challenge

POWERCORE, BABY!
Old 07-09-2005, 10:27 AM

Well. I guess I shoulda said any OILED filter, because i do think paper filters will filter better. They dont flow hardly as good though.

Eric