Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

K & N problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry K & N problems...

My K&N has little pieces of metal from the grill material and it is chewing up my turbine blades. I am going to call them tomorrow. This is a real problem I can actually see small pieces that are just loose in the filter that are from the the FILTER!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wonder how much of it went through the motor, or is stuck in the cooler.

Rick
Old 06-26-2005, 09:14 PM

I did away with mine

I found oil blowback in the turbines of the turbo and it wasnt the lines, they were kinda thick as from the K&N and the oil clumps that were from the filter, the fact that the metal could also be moved around, as if it came undone told me to take it out as well.... Im savin for a scotty....

Tx
Old 06-26-2005, 10:44 PM

What is the best at filtering? Longevity? Where do you buy those huge round cylindrical ones?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Banned

Do search on BHAF, Scotty II, AFE. All have applications depending on power requirements, money, and type of filtration you like(oiled or paper). Also read posts on K&N and see for yourself all the problems with these. I also had issues with K&N, but no more with BHAF. Funny how you hardly EVER here about problems with Scotty or AFE, BHAF there are some issues with if it gets wet, but overall minor. After reading up all old posts you'll probably still be undecided which is best for you.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:10 AM

My K&N cone works great, and i never have oil in my intake. You dont hear that many actual problems with K&N filters. Just people who have heard this or that and took it to heart. I like mine, and bought a foam prefilter for it today at IRP. With that foam prefilter, and i dont see any reason it wont filter, and flow as good as any filter out there.

Eric
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

I have asked this same question everytime I see these posts slammin K&N Filters and nobody will answer me. Are all these problems being referred to here in association with the just the replacement filter, the cone filter or both. Like CD635 I have the Air Cannon Cone Type K&N and haven't had any of these problems in 100,000 plus miles with it.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Some people feel that more air at the expense of more dirt in their engines is an OK tradeoff because they can't afford the cost of better systems that deliver clean air. Some people actually believe the K&N advertising that says they filter as well as a high quality paper filter, in spite of un-biased third party testing to the contrary. Some people have actually had good results with K&N (rare). Most people have no idea how much dirt their filter passes.

The only way to know for sure if your filter is doing the job is REGULAR (I mean each oil change) oil analysis. My silicon PPM went up 10 times when I switched from a NAPA Gold to a K&N in the stock box (yes, properly sealed). $65 into the garbage can. If your oil analysis shows more than 3 or 4 PPM silicon you are using the wrong filter.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by AAmeeting
What is the best at Longevity? Where do you buy those huge round cylindrical ones?
Don't know if you mean BHAF's or Cone types or Scotty II.

If you plan on adding reasonable amount of HP to your truck...I recommend the Scotty II. It will last long time and take you as high as you can go...on a Single Turbo. The Scotty II is the only after market filter sucking cooool outside air, which will lower EGT's....and it is less expensive than many.

Get your Scotty II's right here, on this web site, and support keeping it free for all menbers
.http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/index.html

RJ
Old 06-27-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Rare1
If your oil analysis shows more than 3 or 4 PPM silicon you are using the wrong filter.
That depends on how many miles between changes....would'nt you agree?

I had an K&N FIPK II system for 50,000 miles, and it worked very well. Never had any oil or particulate in throat , or on blades of turbo...and my intake hose was always clean. I experimented with several different oils and Silicon never went over 4 PPM when I changed at 5-6,000 miles. Tried Amsoils Marine Diesel 15-40 for 10,000 miles and oil analysis passed with flying colors...but Silicon did get as high as 11 PPM. This is to be expected with extended oil changes...just as I would expect lower anti-wear additives.....but still perfectly acceptable, IMO.

RJ
Old 06-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Yes, I agree. But you had almost 3 times the silicon with only twice the milage. Why?

Does the FIPK II system have more surface area than the K&N in the stock box? I'm wondering if higher velocity through the K&N media causes more particulates to pass through.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Okay. Maybe its just me. But no matter what brand of filter it is, the more flow you get, the more dirt you will suck in. Its just a fact. Dont care who makes the filter. My K&N has a LOT of surface area. More than most AFE(not bashing AFE), and other brand filters out there. Surface area is the ONLY way i see that you can increase flow, and not increase dirt intake much. Also i have one question. WHAT DOES SILICON HURT?? No one has answered that question for me yet.

Eric
Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 PM

I am not questioning the Filtering Capeability. My FILTER is a factory replacement ( the square one) And the metal screen has small pieces of screen coming out of it. The Filter is in good shape no bends or tears. I did not get a chance to call today. I will run the factory one untill this is resolved.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran a set of 2 on sand rail and the K&N let so much dirt though you would be shocked I would have to pull the carbs down and clean them EVERY time i came back from a run. K&N
Old 06-27-2005, 11:44 PM

What does silicon hurt?

Silicon is a solid. Most people call it sand. It is the component of road dirt that oil analysis can detect and measure. It is abrasive. If it is in your oil then it is not being trapped by your oil filter. You are pumping an abrasive slurry through your bearings.

Quick Reply: K & N problems...