Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

K&N FIPK for 2001 Dodge 2500

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N FIPK for 2001 Dodge 2500

I am looking to put an air intake on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab with 166K miles on it. I have a buddy in PA that swears by KN and tells me his mileage on his Dakota increase by 2MPG with a significant increase in horsepower.
I would like to get comments from anyone that has installed the FIPK on their Dodge diesel as to ease of installation, improvement in mileage, horsepower increase, etc. If you have a picture of the installed FIPK, that would be great as well. The unit they are selling looks considerably different from the stock equipment and I would love to see what it looks like installed.
Thanks for any help you can give.
David
futchd@adelphia.net
Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to DTR

I ran the FIPK II for 1.5 yrs. Liked it and had good luck. NO mileage increase should be expected, IMO. Easy to install!
No power gain either. Fuel adds power in diesels... not air. More air 'releases' power if over fueled and smokey! But the FIPK II will allow adding chip, injectors, etc and provide plenty of air!

Many here are anti K&N but I can't agree. Just don't over clean it or over oil it!!!!
Took pic out of gallery but may have it still on my computer. Will send to your e-mail if I find it!

RJ

EDIT: Pictures sent
Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Well said......
Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 PM

dont buy k&n. they are junk. period. i have one that i am getting rid of as we speak. the shrouds around the filter are junk. i have a hole in the side of mine that i can fit my whole hand through, and the filters are crap. i took my intake tube off, and had dust in there. now mabye im wrong, but i dont think thats supposed to be like that. im going to open filter/no box, with a 6" intake tube (probably home made, but dont know yet). my dad had a k&n intake on our old 01' cummins, and he had the same problem, dust in the intake. IMO, dont even consider it. dont waste the money on k&n, that name dont mean its worth a flying s**t.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 PM

I too used a K&N intake for a long period and only changed because of my twins... RJs post sums it up great. Good filter just use as directed...
Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 PM

My only experience with K&N was in my jet boat. Removing the original flame arrester and installing a K&N reduced my WOT rpm by 300.

I threw it away and reinstalled the original.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bnold
Good filter just use as directed...
I agree.

I personally don't like K&N, but it's because I don't like the hassle of being careful with the cleaning and oiling. I prefer paper filters, but the K&N is a good system, if you follow the directions.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigdav160
My only experience with K&N was in my jet boat. Removing the original flame arrester and installing a K&N reduced my WOT rpm by 300.

I threw it away and reinstalled the original.
Those flame arrestors don't really have any filtering abilities do they?? I had one on a boat that was more of a metal screen (Flame arrestor). I bet any filter would have reduced the flow over one of those
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 AM

If Not KN, then what?

I am reading some negative comments about the KN. I have a buddy, engineer type that builds rockets for Pratt and Whitney, that swears by them. He is a bogger when it is wet, desert rat when it is dry and swears the KN keep his engine clean.
That being said, for the guys that dont like the KN, what do you use? I have had one recommendation for AirRaid and several for AFE but dont know enough about mechanics to make a good decision without more information.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 AM

I have switched back and forth between the FIPK and a BHAF to see if there is any difference. I find in terms of mileage and percieved power there is no difference. The only noticible change is the turbo whine is more audible with the KN than the BHAF. I have kept the BHAF on there because when pulling in the hillcountry here in Austin, the whine from the KN whine is too annoying for me. Although empty I think the whine is awesome.

Many people have run the KN reliably if it is properly maintained. It also is your comfort level with maintaining these things and your willingness to "deviate from stock."

I should tell you that I did see an MPG increase (1 maybe 2) with both the BHAF and FIPK, but I think it was because I could hear the turbo spool earlier and thus was a little lighter on the go-pedal.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM

I'm not going to knock the K&N but I did have dust in my tube also and took it out. I will say that I live in the country and farm with the rest of my family. That means that I am up and down a lot of dirt roads, chasing cattle and following people down dirt roads. I just don't think I can trust it with the amount of dirt I am around. If I lived in town and didn't go down any dirt roads or did very little I wouldn't have a problem. I think a person should decide by what you use your truck for.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Well said, im the same way. I travel down dirt roads every day. And for those that dont know, West Texas gets a tad bit dusty during the summer. Especially when a dust storm will black out the sky. Thats why im going to a BHAF. Im willing to lose some whine from the turbo in exchange for some guaranteed longevity. If its good enough for a tractor, its good enough for me.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:08 PM

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but what is the best of the BHAF. I would like one without the tapered intake flange so that I wont have to use a differant clamp than the stock tube.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM

im going back to a tried &true filter that i myself have used and liked before. the green filter (greenfilterusa.com), they make some real good filters, and when i used them, with home make intake tube, i had nothing inside the tube. i dunno, just my other $.02
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 PM

My dirty filter tells me it is time to make a change but I dont have the time for an intake conversion until after New Years.
What recommendations to you have for filters to go in my stock system?
Hoping not to take too much abuse, I have been using Fram filter but it is not good.
While I am asking, what fuel filter do you recommend?
Any tips or advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK for 2001 Dodge 2500