Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just tested out the Smarty VP44 Beta

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
I just looked and all downloads are still available for downloading
Sorry, I was told it was pulled & that you and Marco were not recommending us to use those softwares because something was wrong with them. I am running 122B software at this time & was just curious as to any problems that I may face using it. Thanks Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lockup problems with the horrible design of a transmission in these trucks has been explained to me like this by the owner of one of the best Trans' companies in the business. At some point in the life of the truck, the factory PCM begins to struggle to interprit the signal coming from the tps. Because of this lockup goes in and out, most commonly at 35-40 mph. There are modules that can fix this, and he even said that a new updated PCM will fix the problem. I am currently overcoming this issue by manually going into lockup at 35 mph and then all other shifts and lockup are fine. The only reason I bring this up is because I feel too much blame is put on Smarty for the lack of a good design in the auto trans. It also seems to me that the more fuel available, the throttle becomes so sensitive that it is not very streetable and all this sensitivity at the tps has got to be tough for communication between it and the pcm. A good example of why I feel this way is that if I put the 1/2 fuel program in, the truck shifts flawlessly. Could this be because now the truck is back closer to factory HP and tps travel more closely resmbles that of the unit when stock? I think so. Well, that is my twisted analysis for what it's worth. I really like my Smarty. There some great features this little unit has to offer.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by pokapotato
The lockup problems with the horrible design of a transmission in these trucks has been explained to me like this by the owner of one of the best Trans' companies in the business. At some point in the life of the truck, the factory PCM begins to struggle to interprit the signal coming from the tps. Because of this lockup goes in and out, most commonly at 35-40 mph. There are modules that can fix this, and he even said that a new updated PCM will fix the problem. I am currently overcoming this issue by manually going into lockup at 35 mph and then all other shifts and lockup are fine. The only reason I bring this up is because I feel too much blame is put on Smarty for the lack of a good design in the auto trans. It also seems to me that the more fuel available, the throttle becomes so sensitive that it is not very streetable and all this sensitivity at the tps has got to be tough for communication between it and the pcm. A good example of why I feel this way is that if I put the 1/2 fuel program in, the truck shifts flawlessly. Could this be because now the truck is back closer to factory HP and tps travel more closely resmbles that of the unit when stock? I think so. Well, that is my twisted analysis for what it's worth. I really like my Smarty. There some great features this little unit has to offer.

I would say it shifts better on half fuel because your moving the pedal more, which moves the TV cable farther, alowing for more pressure and firmer shifts, with less power....of course it's gonna shift harder

Chris
Old 11-07-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am reading all this with great interest. I can only say i have seen no serious changes in my lockup speeds on any Smarty settings... 35-40 mph.... and my DTT tranny shifts perfectly with Smarty on #3 through #9....with or without TST's added power.

With large injectors streetability becomes a problem on #7 & #9.... but isn't that to be expected? The throttle is just too sensitive for my big feet!

Surging on cruise control is the only problem I have ever encountered from my Smarty .... and the newest SW, set on #3 for trips, has solved that to my satisfaction! Sorry if others are having greater issues.

RJ
Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM

The lockup speed change is not due to a PCM issue. It is a Smarty issue.

The Smarty fuels harder at a lower throttle position than other boxes. Or, there is less voltage from the APPS at a given speed with the Smarty than without.

The PCM needs a minimum specific voltage to achieve OD. If you fuel harder and faster on the bottom, it requires lower throttle input to go the same speed. Since you haven't reached the voltage threshold, you must go faster to achieve lockup.

This is VERY common with high HP trucks and a tight auto. It was less pronounced when I was making less power, but it was there.

Also, since you are using less throttle to maintain the same speed, it does affect the shift points to some degree as well. But I notice shift firmness more. To me, a lack of throttle position at a given speed is not good for the life of the trans. Just my opinion, but based on relative position of the trans cable with and without the Smarty.

The reason why half power feels better is simple. It allows the pedal more travel at a given power/ speed.

The touchy throttle is also what makes cruise useless.

The shifting issues people usually refer to I did not have. AKA "stacked" shifts. But I had lockup issues along with cruise surge.

I have a complete work around for all the issues and it involves changing the APPS voltage to a higher voltage at a given throttle position. It has been effective 100% of the time for lockup. It does create another issue at part and mid throttle though. And I got tired of trying to engineer a fix for the programming.

Every one of these issues could be fixed by changing the rate the throttle applied power. This would allow the factory PCM to work corretly while still providing the benefits of the programmer.

Since I have been asking for changes for over a year now, I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. I have offered repeatedly to help work on a fix, but been ignored. And I live a few miles from Bob, so testing would be fast and feedback would be instant.

I did get a new program from Marco to help soften the bottom end. It helped a little, but was like driving on level 3 and still had the bad traits of touchy throttle.

Like I say, if they ever get thier act together, I'll be back. Or, maybe someone else will get it done and I will try that company.

Dave
Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bridleman
No TIME!?? To test or tune for the 2nd gens??? All I can say is I can't wait for the Race Box from quad to get finished beta testing!! At least someone still cares about the 2nd gen guys!
Don't take this totally in the wrong way I really like my Smarty and it runs non stop on my truck and I do understand that these testings and new programs take time, I guess it would be nice to get some new down loads a little more frequently thats all! I do know that no matter what new products come out I will keep my Smarty until the truck is sold.