Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just put on a #10 plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put on a #10 plate

Dang.

I am now officially into bombing, feels like a totally different truck. I hope to time the pump to around 16* and install my 4K GSK within the next week or two. I can't believe how hard it pulls at 75. This big of a vehicle should not put me in my seat while acclerating from that speed, it's insane. Can't wait for future mods.

One thing I noticed is that under heavy acceleration there is a lot of vibration. I really feel it through the gas pedal. Any ideas what is causing this. Will timing the pump help? It always was a little viby under acceration, but now it seems like a lot.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM

Yeah I recently dropped in my plate along with the gsk and injectors...took a little road trip and turned a 5 to 51/2 hour trip into a 4:08 trip! Up hills passing while pulling my boat no problems! I couldn't believe how it came to life after I was already doin 85!! just step on the pedal and off it goes like a bat out of H#$* gotta keep an eye on the pyro though she can shoot trough the roof without too much effort! Got 16.5 mpg too! Incredible what these trucks will do. I keep trying to see what my best mpg would be but I'm always in throttle can't help myself!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 AM

SmokinDzl-
How does the 10 plate work with the 4K GSK for you? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for all your trans work? Thanks

Jim
Old 05-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Truck runs great, I don't have anything to compare it to since it was stock before so it's a much improvement over that. I haven't gone Wide Open as she gets hot with the stock Turbo and my Pyro is post Turbo so I watch the egts and try not to get above 750 to 800 with 30 to 35 psi (I figure that's around 1350 to 1400) but with the #10 you get a lot of fun and power before it gets too hot. I do have slow spool up off the line but after a couple of secs she blasts off and sets you in the seat! Quite a ride! I used to not be able to get up to speed or have a ton of power going up hills while towing my boat or work trailer but now!

I had a trailer full of drywall and my bed full of drywall mud and I was going to cross a busy street without a signal at it. With the slow spool up I kinda power braked it, not a lot but just enough to have the rpm's up and ready to launch when the opening broke. Well the tires just couldn't hold back and they broke loose about 4 seconds before my holeshot. I had big clouds of burnout smoke and I let off the brake and launched her across the road in a few secs, all that weight was lucky to keep up with me! Quite Impressive!

The tranny work? Are you sitting down? $5000.00 out the door...all the bells and whistles 3 year 100,000 mi warranty. I hated to do it, spend as much as some good used trucks just for my tranny but, I use my truck pulling and hauling loads daily and I've got the 12v Quad....I ain't never buying another truck, I'll just keep on building this one as she breaks!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM

I hear that about not having throttle control. It is too much dang fun to get on it. I have not even floored it yet or run hard for more than a few seconds as I don't yet have my pyro installed. I started trying to figure it out today but I am having a hard time finding where to run the wires throught the fire wall. I found a rubber gromet on the driver side almost to the very edge of the truck. Is this the right place to run the wires?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by gs1000
I found a rubber gromet on the driver side almost to the very edge of the truck. Is this the right place to run the wires?
I believe that is where I ran my gauge wires.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by gs1000
I found a rubber gromet on the driver side almost to the very edge of the truck. Is this the right place to run the wires?

Anywhere you can get through will work but that's where mine and most everyone's are run. Works good for the Pillar.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:51 PM

cool, this weekend I hope to have the time to finish the install.
thanks.
Any ideas on the vibration increase that I am able to feel through the gas pedal? Normal?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its what I think its normal.. That engine sure comes alive around 1700 Rpm and will rattle every bolt or spring in the OEM clutch that can hold it. The engine vibration is normal under heavy torque..
Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 AM

So the culprit could be the clutch and yes it happens around peak tourqe rpm. When i upgrade to a bigger clutch (later) will that calm it down, And also I have heard that timing the pump will smooth operation. True?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the sound was the clutch in my case. The cause is the increased torque output of the engine. Timing might smooth it out a bit.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Get that timing bumped to 16*! I just had mine done and my valves adjusted and DANG, I could believe the difference. Also supposed to get more MPG. Some say you lose a little bottom end with timing advance.......I sure didn't !
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 PM

any time slips or dyno time?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 AM

gs1000,
Wait until you install the 4k GSK, you will definatly be hooked on bombing then, the 3k is what got me hooked, now I'm building twins late this spring... its a very slippery slope..............
Tim.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:02 PM

I am very excited to get the timing and gsk done, hopefully within a week or two. I almost can't imagine it being that much better because it is already so much better, but everyone says it will rock so I can hardly wait.
I think that twins are definatly in my future, but not for a while. I just bought the truck a couple of weeks ago and now with these few mods I think I must stop or my wife will leave me
I don't have any dyno or track near by so no numbers. Just the ole seat o the pants gauge, which is the real test anyway right.
There is a local mechanic who will do my gsk and timing. He is a 12 valve nut. His truck has a HUGE turbo and bigger plungers and a lot of cool stuff. He estimates his truck at 650 hp and around 1350 lbs. I am very glad to have access to a diesel mechaninc who is really into the cummins motor.