Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

just a lot more power

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a lot more power

Ok, I may be getting the fever and I haven't even started yet. But here is what I'm thinking. I'm really considering the #8 plate from tst to start. I'm pretty sure this will tear up my tranny with 200k on it. Hopefully it happens this summer when I have some time and money to rebuild it with upgraded components. (VB, Tourque converter, shift kit) At which time I will trade in the #8 plate for a #6 or #5, just so I can for sure light em up out side the school parking lot. (no, not a student, but the shop teacher)

Looking for advise on the tst plates and my thinking.

Also I'm still not sure what tranny I have. The numbers are as follows

6211-95-19aa 31605549
Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM

You have the 47RE Transmission, and you'll kill the thing if you try "lighting them up" with anything but stock, even then it doesn't take much. Here's your problem...if you blow up the TC in the trans before you beef it up, your going to need a full rebuild, because once your TC goes, metal chunks are floating around your tranny, which is usually catastrophic.

Get a billet TC, single disk or triple depending on your budget, and a good shift kit or full VB before you do anything. You'll also need a set of gauges, because your going to have a meltdown if your not careful with that pump setup.

Look at my sig. I'm running a 4k GSK, (look it up if you don't know what it is) and a #0 Plate on a stock trans...it sucks, but with a small budget you just have to take it easy. I'm in the process of getting a new turbo, new TC, new VB, 370 Injectors, and 191 DV's all at the same time. Should put me somewhere around 400HP or so, right at the brink of needing billet trans shafts, which are $750 a piece or so.

If you tune the pump right and keep your foot out of it you can salvage a stock trans, but its no fun having the power and not being able to use it...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM

medium transmission upgrade

ok, I'll start w/ the tranny then. I'm pretty handy w/ a wrench but don't know much about auto trannies. I'd feel comfortable taking it out but that's about the extent. When I talked to the tranny shop I asked him about upgrading. He said for about 1600 they could rebuild the trannsmission with a shift kit and upgrade in tc. I've been doing some reading on the forums, looks like you can get pretty crazy w/ tranny upgrades as well. If I do this I want to do it right, but don't have intentions or dreams of a competition truck.

So, what would be reccomended upgrades for the rebuilt transmission and a #6 plate from tst. 250hp 635flbtq???
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful on what "upgraded TC" you get. The stock TC's have a high stall speed, as you probably know. Great for a gasser, sucks for a diesel. You're well past the torque band before the TC grabs good.

The trans shop that did mine put in a billet TC called a Protow. It had the stock high stall speed. I had a bear of a time getting the TC manufacturer to take it back and refund my core charge. It was almost as much money as my DTT.

As far as torque plates, grind your own 10 or 100. Buy a boost elbow and a governor spring kit. You can find the plate profiles by doing a search on these forums.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:14 PM

If you feel comfortable taking a tranny out, you should be able to swap out the TC and VB without much trouble. Save a pile of cash.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 PM

Fellow shop teacher

Another shop teacher eh, where are you from? I am assembling the tools etc for rebuilding my trans. No real problems with the trans except I can slip the TC in OD. I figured with so much money in the DTT TC and valve body and having to remove the transmission I might as well do the update/master kit as well. In fact I just got home from school, I have been machining the bushing removal,replacement tools for the job. If you are interested, I can let you know how the rebuild went. It is my first time inside an automatic!
Cheers
Alan
Old 05-16-2007, 06:22 AM

Look at my sig and see my mods to the engine as compared to my mods to the tranny. Been that way for two years with only a shift kit and 4 quarts Lucas tranny fix in there to replace 4 quarts of ATF+3 and I rag my truck whenever I want with no failure. Now, it is a bit laggy as far as waiting for the TC to catch up, but it hasnt taken a nap on me yet. Just some food for thought for those guys who think they have to build the tranny before the motor. It is smart, but not required.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 AM

The old truck in my sig had tranny rebuilt with a heavy duty TQ first time and did not hold up. Make sure you get a high quality unit , you may be better off getting it yourself and install when you re-install trans.
There are 3 or 4 reputable TQ's available from suppliers on this site , choice is yours. I went with a Goerands triple disc and it performed flawlessly til I got rid of truck.