Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just looking for a little help with cosmetic type decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looking for a little help with cosmetic type decisions

Hey guys I have been checking out this site for quite some time now. I really enjoy all the helpful hints. I bought my CTD in 03 and have done a few mods but am looking to do a few more now. Nothing major just Fender Flares and some new nerf bars. Any suggestion with accompanying pictures would be greatly appreciated. I have looked for a few months for both but it is hard to see either actually mounted on the truck. As for the flares I am looking for something rounded and about 1.5"-2" out to cover my 35" tires. I plan on coating them with a bedliner material along with the lower portion of the truck to make it appear two tone and too cover the rock pecks I bought the truck with on the lower panels. As for the bars I am looking for something in black to match the rest of my red truck with black accents and preferably something from wheel well to wheel well. Even a nice set of running boards might do. Keep in mind that I am a firefighter and don't have a fortune to spend on my truck unfortunately. If i did all this would be done already but thats life. I will post a pic of my ride as soon as I get my new digital camera
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

The bushwacker OE flares would suit your purpose really well. Only problem with them is that they are expensive. Might also check out Xenon flares as well. As for nerf bars, I used to run a set of westins and they were really nice. They even saved my door from an extraneous boulder that was in the middle of the parking lot.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:48 PM

I went with the xenon flares off of e-bay, then went with a durabak lining on the rockers and flares for protection and to cover some rock chips.https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...F00111-med.JPG
Old 02-03-2006, 06:54 PM

Thanks doodah the look of your truck is pretty much what I am trying to achieve as for the flares and lining. You said you used durabak, did you do it yourself and how difficult was it if so.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks to you too big blue. My truck looks very similar to your red one pulling the gooseneck. I appreciate the quick response and I will be looking into those two brands now.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Yep!, I did the durabak myself. cost me $100, for the durabak in black with an accelerator pack to speed up cure time. and I bought a roller made for doing it, it will take 2 coats and the roller is a special hook, loop style roller, if you order the durabak order a few rollers, they are cheap. it wasnt to hard to do, the hardest was the prep work, you have to use a specail solvent{cant remember right off hand} but make sure you dont do it on your cement driveway, laern from experiance, it will drip if applied heavy!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 PM

doodah how big of a can did you order. In other words how much does it take to put the two coats on
Old 02-07-2006, 09:14 AM

I ordered 1gallon, and had some left over, but if you have some left dont worry, you will find places that you applied that need a little more if to thin. I also did the bottoms of my doors inside and the bottoms of the door jams. and still had some 1/8 of a can left. just use it up somehow though, because it doesnt have a real great shelf life. it will for a little while, but not like a 5 months, the way I did it when you store is a drop or 2 of xylene in it and mix it real well then put the lid on. oh yeah, thats the name of the stuff for prep work, XYLENE. you tape off where you want to put the stuff, sand down , rub down and clean with xylene and start rolling. the stuff can be shot thru a gun to, but they dont recomend it.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

That red one is my old roommates. Mine is the blue one perched atop the trailer.