Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just installed Powermax Comp w Drag comp (in EZ Mode)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inline6power, when you get her installed, would you mind pm me your results? Just was wondering if I should go for it too? What is the shudder from, the turbo or tranny? I just don't get it, if TST claims only a 80 hp gain with the HO motors and the EDGE is 120 hp gain. Seems like The EDGE makes more HP just looking at the numbers!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Inline6power, when you get her installed, would you mind pm me your results? Just was wondering if I should go for it too? What is the shudder from, the turbo or tranny? I just don't get it, if TST claims only a 80 hp gain with the HO motors and the EDGE is 120 hp gain. Seems like The EDGE makes more HP just looking at the numbers!!!!
well i have a SO motor but i will definetly let you know the diff. the shudder comes from the VP44. when you are in HIGH levels, and your foot is in it hard and you suddenly let off the gas, the truck will shudder like its out of fuel.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Really, even with a HRVP 44?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd expect it to get worse with a HRVP. The cause of the shudder is the pump using more than the internal gear pump can provide to the high pressure section.

The HRVP with it's bigger plungers will outstrip the internal pump's supply even sooner with a box as hot as the TST CE.

Running higher than normal FP might be a workaround.

I suggest a boost-reference FP regulator that will let FP hit 35+psi, but only when the boost is cranked up and the truck needs the extra FP.

jlh
Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'd expect it to get worse with a HRVP. The cause of the shudder is the pump using more than the internal gear pump can provide to the high pressure section.

The HRVP with it's bigger plungers will outstrip the internal pump's supply even sooner with a box as hot as the TST CE.

I suggest a boost-reference FP regulator that will let FP hit 35+psi, but only when the boost is cranked up and the truck needs the extra FP.

jlh

Its funny you mention the higher fuel pressures helping, I did a second lift pump setup and see over 30psi at idle, when I turn the box up to say level 4 it does not drop below 26-28 and nor does it shudder anymore, I could not figure out why it didnt do it but now maybe this is why, has anyone else reported the same findings? the 1st time it shuddered it scared the hell outta me
Old 08-10-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
If i had an HO motor, i would just stay with the Edge box. The guys at TST told me that TST PM3 and TST PM3 comp will pretty much produce the same amount of power, i am guessing that this holds true for the Edge box as well. I was told that the PM3 and PM3 Comp only give about 80hp to an HO motor. This was taken from the TST website: The HO (High Output) engine (2001-2002) already has 245 HP and the PMCE (Competition) does not make as much of a difference and adds 80HP and 310 lb-ft of Torque.
But his hrvp will change the equation. In October I'll roll up to Fall Brawl and dyno again so we can see how much difference a pm3 makes, but in the mean time I can't tell ya. I can tell you that my last dyno was only 83 shy of my turbo's advertised hp limit and I get a haze with full boost if the tst is on

I'm still waiting to see Tiger Rag's results with his HRVP, comp, tst, smarty, twins, on a ETH. Last I heard smarty + comp was making the most power for him.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN

jlh
Wouldn't you think a rasp or cam/cummins pump setup that increased fp with rpms would have the same effect?? It won't specifically react to boost, but higher boost comes with higher rpms. But honestly- do you think you can force feed the hrvp?? Isn't the extra fuel going to go straight to the bypass?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned

well like my sig says, i have 34 at idle and it never drops below 26 at wot. there were a few times when i got out of the throtle fast with the DRAG comp and i had to crack the injector lines to get it started again. so if i had to do that with the DRAG comp even with my high fp, not sure what the TST is going to do.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

well even with my hrvp, my DRAG comp gave me 136hp at the wheels when i dynoed it. very very good by my standards since the DRAG comp say 120hp. i think i just have one of THOSE trucks that responds very well to upgrades
Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD2001
...Egts are a little higher then i would like to see them at cruising speeds, about 800 to 900 of a flat grade at 75mph, but once boost comes on they settle right down and are not to bad.
No worries mate! IMO, Higher is better... within reason. Why? To oversimplify, more complete burn! (Hohn gave a good disertation on this subject a while back )

With 6 psi at cruise and EGT's not climbing out of site when you accelerate, I'd say your set up is great. Those Mach 6's really are amazing.

RJ
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inline6power
.... i think my measly ole 165hp just arent doing it for me any more.
I think you would run cooler, with more power going to F-1 injectors! BD makes some great products, but I'm not a fan of their injectors, which I don't believe they mfg. And their HP ratings seem to be overly generous

Mach 4's, at 150 hp, will dyno higher, make less smoke and run lower EGT's. And if you don't haul heavy... tow a lot... or live in the sunbelt the Mach 6's are just plain awesome!

You definately need more air, though.... IMO

RJ
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I think you would run cooler, with more power going to F-1 injectors! BD makes some great products, but I'm not a fan of their injectors, which I don't believe they mfg. And their HP ratings seem to be overly generous

Mach 4's, at 150 hp, will dyno higher, make less smoke and run lower EGT's. And if you don't haul heavy... tow a lot... or live in the sunbelt the Mach 6's are just plain awesome!

You definately need more air, though.... IMO

RJ
i totally agree. BD makes great products but after i got the injectors, i think thats the only product they are lacking on. dont get me wrong, the ones i have make great power, but man are they dirty and yes egts are high. i wanted the F1s in the first place but it all came down to $$$$$ guess i should have just saved and did it right the first time
Old 08-11-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
CTD2001, so what you are saying is the edge comp box makes more power? How come everybody wants to trade their EDGE box for a TST box. They are all saying that the TST fuels so much harder and is worth the switch??? I just would like to know if I should bother to spend the money on a new TST box or not??

I am not saying that the edge comp box makes more power then a TST PM comp. I know that the HOs do not respond as well to fueling boxes as the SO motors do. If i had an HO, i would not upgrade my box from Edge Comp to a TST box because i think that there would be minimal gain if any at all. Would it be worth your money to buy a TST box, probably not since you have an HO motor, if you had a SO motor i would say that it deffinetly would not hurt. I am just having a hard time getting my wording right, i dont mean to confuese anyone
Old 08-11-2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks CTD2001, take it easy...
Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 PM

what is the powermax comp

I am new at diesel performance and learning! what is the powermax comp, where can i find it what are the benefits of it over the edge comp and tell me about the drag comp over the regular comp and also what is this smarty is it good!

Quick Reply: Just installed Powermax Comp w Drag comp (in EZ Mode)