Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just installed Powermax Comp w Drag comp (in EZ Mode)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inline6power
so truthfullly, do you think your truck is faster with the TST or the DRAG comp?
Scanned above and did not see it mentioned, so I'll throw in my $.02.
I would not sell my Drag Comp yet! Without some timing assist, I don't think you will like the differences in the TST Comp.

I love mine... but only if stacked with an EZ or, even better, a Smarty.

I believe a Drag Comp is more responsive and faster in a 1/4 mile than a TST Comp... even though it does not fuel as heavily. BUT a Smarty stacked on a TST Comp is smoother and faster than a Drag Comp!

Also, be aware - the TST Comp actually fuels more heavily than the VP-44 can handle. You may get some shudder on higher settings, when you back out of it. I've been told it's not really good for the VP-44 (which makes sense) but am not positive? I use mine sparingly on highest setting and have not hurt anything .....yet

RJ
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
Scanned above and did not see it mentioned, so I'll throw in my $.02.
I would not sell my Drag Comp yet! Without some timing assist, I don't think you will like the differences in the TST Comp.

I love mine... but only if stacked with an EZ or, even better, a Smarty.

I believe a Drag Comp is more responsive and faster in a 1/4 mile than a TST Comp... even though it does not fuel as heavily. BUT a Smarty stacked on a TST Comp is smoother and faster than a Drag Comp!

Also, be aware - the TST Comp actually fuels more heavily than the VP-44 can handle. You may get some shudder on higher settings, when you back out of it. I've been told it's not really good for the VP-44 (which makes sense) but am not positive? I use mine sparingly on highest setting and have not hurt anything .....yet

RJ
well thats all i needed to hear then i can understand that the DRAG comp is faster in the 1/4 compared to the TSTcomp alone but if i stack the TSTcomp with some timing, then its faster than the DRAG comp. so that means i can do just like CTD did, just put my DRAG in EZ mode and if i wanted to sell if in the future and get a smarty then thats what i will do.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 PM

I think there may be some confusion by some on TST Comp vs. TST PM3...

TST does make what they call a Competition box and it has a rather aggressive duty cycle and will alone provide more power than a Drag Comp. The TST PM3 which I think many are calling a TST Comp is rated at 120 hp and should provide a similar gain when compared to the Drag Comp. The TST PM3 will really shine anytime it is stacked with something that adjusts/modifies timing ala, Drag Comp in EZ mode, EZ, Smarty...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Good point. I thought we were all clear but it's worth being sure.
-Both TST boxes are PM3's (Power Max 3). There is a regular and a Competition version!
-Regular TST PM3 is rated at 120 HP
-Comp TST PM3 is rated at 180 HP.... but on my truck it's only an additional 30 HP on the Dyno??
-Both are fueling only and work better with some timing added (EZ or Smarty)

While the TST Comp may provide more fuel than the Edge Drag Comp, my point was it is not, by itself..
1-more responsive
2-nor as fast in a 1/4 mile

JMO - RJ
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM

yeah the TST box i have is the competition box and the face of the box is a reddish organge color. Sorry to confuse the PM3 with the competiton model. I am comparing my Edge Drag Comp with the TST Competition box and there is a noticable difference between the two. I would like to try it stacked with a smarty, with the added timing. I got the Catcher version that does not add timing. Think that i would notice any difference?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
yeah the TST box i have is the competition box and the face of the box is a reddish organge color. Sorry to confuse the PM3 with the competiton model. I am comparing my Edge Drag Comp with the TST Competition box and there is a noticable difference between the two. I would like to try it stacked with a smarty, with the added timing. I got the Catcher version that does not add timing. Think that i would notice any difference?
If you're already stacking the Drag Comp in EZ mode, I'm not sure what kind of difference you'd see. Running a similar setup as yours(TST Competition, Big Sticks and big spinny thingy) we got a dyno increase of 25 hp by stacking an EZ and a dyno increase of 31 hp by stacking the Smarty on #9. Not sure I'd call that real impressive but on the street the truck was ripping gears(6 speed w/Dual Disc) and spinnin' tires in 4th gear with the Smarty and blew the headgasket with the EZ.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 PM

01smoker , i have a friend thats runing a redline with a va box for timing . the redline it self does not add timing this is why he has the va box on there . it will fuel hard all the way to 4k wich is about the limits of a vp44 even the hrvp wich he has on it . they do say not to run the redline box all out for runs more than adrag race or sled pull or it will hurt the vp44 since it does fuel so hard . he had a drag comp on the truck before and it fuels so much harder now than it did with the drag comp. another guy we hang out with has a ez/tst stack and the va /redline stack fuels alot harder. for a truck that will be on the street alot i would go with the tst or the tst comp
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by seabee
01smoker , i have a friend thats runing a redline with a va box for timing . the redline it self does not add timing this is why he has the va box on there . it will fuel hard all the way to 4k wich is about the limits of a vp44 even the hrvp wich he has on it . they do say not to run the redline box all out for runs more than adrag race or sled pull or it will hurt the vp44 since it does fuel so hard . he had a drag comp on the truck before and it fuels so much harder now than it did with the drag comp. another guy we hang out with has a ez/tst stack and the va /redline stack fuels alot harder. for a truck that will be on the street alot i would go with the tst or the tst comp

The guy running the TST/EZ stack, is it the PM3 or the PM competition?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 PM

the one running the ez/tst stack is a normal pm3 . both trucks are running schied hot rod pumps .
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM

Ok thanks for the reply
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Banned

Good point. I thought we were all clear but it's worth being sure.
-Both TST boxes are PM3's (Power Max 3). There is a regular and a Competition version!
-Regular TST PM3 is rated at 120 HP
-Comp TST PM3 is rated at 180 HP.... but on my truck it's only an additional 30 HP on the Dyno??
-Both are fueling only and work better with some timing added (EZ or Smarty)

While the TST Comp may provide more fuel than the Edge Drag Comp, my point was it is not, by itself..
1-more responsive
2-nor as fast in a 1/4 mile

JMO - RJ
thats one thing i dont understand you saying. not trying to nock you or say your wrong but how and the heck does the TST comp fuel harder and more than the DRAG comp, and is still slower in the 1/4? i mean i understand about the whole timing thing, so say you launched at a boost of 12 for both setups. if the TST gives you more power, wouldnt that equal a faster ET time?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 PM

I'd like to point out that the tst only fuels when you have boost while the drag comp can add fuel with no boost. This may not apply to the boosted launch on a built tranny you're asking about, but it does explain why people are reporting less smoke w/ tst vs edge.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I'd like to point out that the tst only fuels when you have boost while the drag comp can add fuel with no boost. This may not apply to the boosted launch on a built tranny you're asking about, but it does explain why people are reporting less smoke w/ tst vs edge.
ok i kinda understand that but man, the DRAG comp says its only rated at 120hp while the TST competition box is rated at 180hp. thats whats buggin me. how and the heck do they make that much more power with FUEL alone and have LESS smoke?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by inline6power
... how and the heck do they make that much more power with FUEL alone and have LESS smoke?
Less smoke IS more power!
Example: we all know that bigger turbos (more air) do not make more HP. In a diesel it takes fuel to make HP... right? They can, however, release existing HP. On a dyno, bigger turbos produce more HP on heavily fueled trucks. Bigger singles add 30-50 HP. I got +56 hp with twins over an HX-55. This is nothing more than converting unburned fuel (smoke) to burned fuel (HP).

Faster times with a Drag Comp, over a non stacked TST, have to do with responsiveness. At least that's how I see it. Quicker get up & go. It is "the timing thing". Max HP doesn't show till 2700-2800 rpm. How long it takes to get there affects your ET.
The reports I hear of less smoke with a TST usually come from 'stacked' set ups. Anyone who ran a TST box, in past years, without an EZ would not say that... at least I would'nt!

RJ
Old 08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Less smoke IS more power!

The reports I hear of less smoke with a TST usually come from 'stacked' set ups. Anyone who ran a TST box, in past years, without an EZ would not say that... at least I would'nt!

RJ
see there ya go. i thought you were saying less smoke with the TST comp alone. not stacked. i can understand the stacking thing with the timing. my argument was say you take my truck, with what i have in my sig. now when i get my TST today and i have LESS smoke with more power how does this happen if i am using the same turbo? is it all in the DRAG comps timing which helps clear some smoke?i can understand if i had a bigger turbo and then upgraded boxes and saw less smoke but with my same setup, how would i get less smoke and more HP? there is no way my smoke comes close to clearing up and i no thats wasted HP but how does the TST box have LESS than what i already have and give me more HP?

Quick Reply: Just installed Powermax Comp w Drag comp (in EZ Mode)