Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just installed my HRVP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just installed my HRVP!!!

I was out of town till about 2:30 today. I got back to work and the folks in the office handed me my pump at 2:45. It is just after 4:30 now and I just came out of the shop to let the fumes dissipate. I installed the pump, bled the air out of the injectors, and it fired right up! I still have the fan, shroud and a few small things to put back on before I drive it. I've rigged a temporary mechanical fuel pressure guage on it for now. I fooled around and didn't get my order in to Geno's soon enough for the triple A-pillar, f/p guage, and banjo fittings to arrive yet. The old Holley Blue is pegging my 15 psi guage, so I'd say I've got plenty of pressure for now. I'm not going to get crazy with it until I get that stuff on it, so for now, I'm just going to enjoy driving it again. It's been down since Dec. 27, so you can imagine how I miss it! I'll give you a report on Monday, but I was so happy that it's running, I had to let you know! I just hope the clutch survives the weekend! My wife will have me sleeping in the truck if it tears up again!

Later,

Jason
Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Congrats.
Very satisfying to Do-It-Yourself ain't it?

Curious why you had to pull the fan & shroud though.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:28 PM

I just installed a mine 2 week ago and it might have been a little easyer to get the mirror in there to line up the keyway now that i think about it, but i just worked around it.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:08 AM

Which pump did you guys get? I was reading in the other forum that II just upgraded the electronics on their newest HRVP's and it was an upgrade from the FedEx electronics upgrade.

Git-r-done
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 AM

I got the II pump from PDW, thanks doug
Old 02-25-2006, 04:54 PM

Talking

Congrats.
Very satisfying to Do-It-Yourself ain't it?

Curious why you had to pull the fan & shroud though.
Thanks. I pulled the fan & shroud so that I could easily remove the nut from the pump shaft. Also it seems like it would have been a real pain to use the puller to pull the gear off the pump with the shroud in the way. It was probably only 5-10 minutes extra work and made it much easier than working around it all.
As far as a do-it-yourselfer, I hold a AAS degree in Automotive Technology, I am an ASE re-certified Master Automobile Technician, a Chrysler certified Gold Master Tech, and a GMC Master Truck Technician. I worked in dealerships as a technician for several years before taking a job at our local Career & Technical School as an Automotive Technology Instructor. So it wasn't really too much of a stretch for me. Sorry if it seems like I'm bragging, but I don't get to toot my own horn very often. But... I'm definately not a know-it-all. I learn things from great forums like DTR all the time! You are never too old to stop learning and you can never learn to much, myself included.

My pump is an Industrial Injection SHOVP44 unit. It really seems to run good. It feels much smoother when lugging it down low in the RPMs. It seems to have gotten rid of the bucking that it had when I would lug it in 4th or 5th gear. I haven't really gotten on it yet, but I can tell that it really starts to pull when the boost begins to come up. A definate improvement over the old pump. It almost feels like the old pump when I had the TST PM3 Comp box on the #1 or #2 setting. I'm still going to be easy on it for a while until I get some money saved up for a clutch. Why is it that everything that I own seems to be a money pit?

Later,

Jason
Old 02-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
DUDE! Central MO? I might have you put my VP-44 in when I need one. We are close! Lincoln, NE here.

Home of the world's LARGEST POWERBALL JACKPOT!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Smile

DUDE! Central MO? I might have you put my VP-44 in when I need one. We are close! Lincoln, NE here.
Lincoln would be a good little haul from here. I'm about 4 hours from Kansas City. Actually mine was the first VP that I've ever put in (my Chrysler background was in a Jeep/Eagle dealer), but now that I've done one, it would be an easy Saturday project.

Home of the world's LARGEST POWERBALL JACKPOT!
Oh sure, rub some salt on the wound!