Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just finished my Eberspächer installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Webastos are set up as slave units and controlled though climate control system. The exception is with Cat engines. The engine can command for heat as well.

We use Thermo xxx or Proheat Mxxx.

My Espar problem is either a thermosensor system or the plumbing. Too cold to work on truck these days. I miss the timer mode, but can work around it. I leave for lunch every day so the truck warms again.

If you have an alarm or auto start with an extra channel that can control the Espar. Tap into pin 7 on the control pad and trigger a start with a ground pulse.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 95ram
I was think of installing one of these, but someone I know that has one said if he has to cycle the key twice the pickup wont start because of how much they drain the battery. What's your guys experience?
Thats not true at all. If you are going to have an ESPAR, you MUST have good batteries. If its really cold, you dont have to run it for the full 2 hours. The only time my truck didnt start, was when it was -43, and the heater ran for 2 hours. And that was with suspect batteries.

Just my experience with it.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Well, in here, the Eberspächer manual says that 30mins should be enough to warm the engine coolant to 50(120F) celcius degrees, and it is if the heater has enough power.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around
We install about 300 Webastos or Proheats a year (transit buses). All are set up for supplement only.
The best was a natural gas Webasto. They had the initial control logic backwards. It flowed gas then hit the ignitor. Talk about your big bang theory....
Just started a build for Denver Airport. CNG coaches with Webasto. Hope these are programmed correctly.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 PM

On extra cold and windy days 30 minutes was not enough. I preferred to get an hour or 90 minutes. On a regular cold day less than an hour was fine.
No matter the temperature, I noticed 30 minutes was about the minimum to help with starting.

The other trick is to watch your driving time after running the Espar. If I didn't run the truck for an hour then a evening on the battery charger was insurance to keep the batteries topped.

Starting a cold truck at -30°F after a full 2 hours of Espar let me know if the batteries were fully charged.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM

Just wondering, whats your regular cold day? 30 minutes in 0C weather is enough to get the grid heaters to stay off. Still took a while to get heat from regular driving, so I just left the heater on. I've been running it for 90 minutes as of late, and gets the cab plenty warm, and registers on the gauge. Haven't had any issues of being hard to start due to low batteries, but I haven't needed to run it lately when its been -20C yet.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Just wondering, whats your regular cold day? 30 minutes in 0C weather is enough to get the grid heaters to stay off. Still took a while to get heat from regular driving, so I just left the heater on. I've been running it for 90 minutes as of late, and gets the cab plenty warm, and registers on the gauge. Haven't had any issues of being hard to start due to low batteries, but I haven't needed to run it lately when its been -20C yet.
Extra cold is -30°C (-22°F) and that annoying 25 kph (15 mph) wind that blows down from Alberta.
Regular cold is -20°C (-4°F) and that annoying 15 kph (10 mph) wind from Alberta.
Sunday was a balmy day at -5°C (23°F) and a very annoying 35 kph (22mph) wind. I plugged in the block heater for about the equivalent of 30 minutes with Espar. Grid heaters still cycled for many seconds.

Results may vary if you don't have a pesky wind and can actually keep more heat in the engine and under the hood.