Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just finished my Eberspächer installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Just finished my Eberspächer installation

Yeah, now I have my own 5kw diesel powered heater under my hood.

Eberspächer is similar to Webasto, just another brand. Both are German made heaters, I'm not sure are those heaters known at all in your corner of the globe

I fitted it under my passanger side battery, cut the hole in the front fender for air intake and exhaust. The muffler is attached to the bumpers side brachet.

I took of the upper water line from the cylinder head and modified it going through the heater back to the cabin cell.

The fuel line was easy, thanks to the extra fuel line place on the trucks tank.

Electrics were little bit harder, relays&fuses I attached near to drivers side battery and the mini-timer unit I put nicely inside the cabin, just push the timer and it's hummin there!

And the heater blower motor wires I installed to truck cab blower motor relay, on the engine room.

It's just so great invention, specially to the Dodge's Cummins, you can use also when you're driving so the truck warms extremely quickly to the normal tempnature.

I sincerly recommend it to everyone who has to deal with cold and winters.

No more block heaters, I'm free from those.

Does someone here has one of these or similar?

And here are couple pics of it.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been thinking about doing this for a while but the only thing that stops me is the funds,how much did it cost you?This would be nice because I run my truck on grease and the temps would be right where I want them on start up.....
Old 01-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Espar heater looks simillar just a little bigger. Has an out put of 18,000 BTUs have used it for 3 years now the best thing Ive done to the truck, use it year round 140 deg. every time I start truck.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 PM

I just finished my install on it last week, and finished the wiring on sunday when it was half decently nice out. Same unit as you have. Love the puff of smoke when it first fires up.

Mounted it on the frame rail behind the starter. Made running the fuel lines easy (used the old fuel line that was left behind after the FASS install). You can see my gallery for where I mounted my timer. Ran the exhaust along the frame rail to end of the cab. Sounded like an airplane without a muffler. Had to install it to join the two pieces of pipe. Intake just ran up to the lift pump bracket on the engine. Made a stainless sheild to keep road debris from hitting it. I plumbed it so it heats the engine first, then goes to the cab last. I'd rather have a hot engine than a hot cab. And no decrease in heat delivered to the cab when the engine is running, since it still goes directly from the engine to the heater core. Now I just need to play with the timer and get some preset times in it.

I got mine from Cummins, but the local DC dealership sells them as well.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I got mine from some german ebay dealer for 699€(including posts to Finland).

It's not used, he has somekind of an ebay shop.

It's like 900 bucks I think.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Nice install erska... wish i had your money! haha
Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was think of installing one of these, but someone I know that has one said if he has to cycle the key twice the pickup wont start because of how much they drain the battery. What's your guys experience?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
LOL, Grids cycled several times and cranked her to death, good batteries work wonders!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 95ram
I was think of installing one of these, but someone I know that has one said if he has to cycle the key twice the pickup wont start because of how much they drain the battery. What's your guys experience?
Depends if you run the fan and how high. I was talking to MSing last weekend, he said he's run his heater for 7 hours and didn't have a problem starting. If you run the heater, shouldn't even need to do a preheat cycle. After a half hour on in freezing temps, the wait to start light goes out as fast as it does in the summer.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Erska
Eberspächer is similar to Webasto, just another brand. Both are German made heaters, I'm not sure are those heaters known at all in your corner of the globe
Eberspächer is marketed as Espar in North America. I installed one 5 years ago. Worked great up until this winter. It won't run pre-heat with the engine off, but will work if engine is on. Either have a sensor problem or the heater hose is getting soft or kinked and restricting flow.

They are tough on batteries. I have Die-Hard group 27's which are pushed to the limit. If I would have just purchased Mopar or Interstate (both better RC rated batteries) I don't think I would have any trouble.

They do require very thin fuel. The 1/8" (3 mm) fuel line will gell very quick.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM

I have installed dozens of the Webasto units in light duty trucks and school busses. They arent hard on batteries but do require good batteries with clean connections and proper voltage. A quick check of battery condition may solve your problem of not working unless the motor is running. Webasto also recomends cycling the heater at least once a month even in warm weather to burn off carbon in the combustion chamber, and replacing the fuel filter annually with an OEM filter.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

John,

I think my Espar is doing the same thing. It's throwing fault 64 which means that your flame sensor has gone out of spec in the cold. Mine runs fine if I warm to truck up even slightly.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dart
John,

I think my Espar is doing the same thing. It's throwing fault 64 which means that your flame sensor has gone out of spec in the cold. Mine runs fine if I warm to truck up even slightly.
That's the code I got when the fuel line gelled. Next year I'm going to mount a separate tank for the heater and burn kerosene.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ccab85
I have installed dozens of the Webasto units in light duty trucks and school busses. They arent hard on batteries but do require good batteries with clean connections and proper voltage. A quick check of battery condition may solve your problem of not working unless the motor is running. Webasto also recomends cycling the heater at least once a month even in warm weather to burn off carbon in the combustion chamber, and replacing the fuel filter annually with an OEM filter.
I have good batteries and the connections are military clamps. All faying surfaces cleaned.
The problem with the Espar is either the differential thermopile (compares in versus out temps) or the heater hose gets a kink in that snaking wrap around the engine. If I had a circuit problem it would throw a voltage code. Battery problems show up if I've had a couple of short drives and then try to run 120 minutes on a -20° day and then start the truck.

Do you set the Webastos up for pre-heat or supplemental heat? We install about 300 Webastos or Proheats a year (transit buses). All are set up for supplement only.
The best was a natural gas Webasto. They had the initial control logic backwards. It flowed gas then hit the ignitor. Talk about your big bang theory....
Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 PM

We set the busses up with both preheat and driver input. Typically mount the timer in the eletrical dist center and mount a toggle in the drivers area, then leave it up to the supervisor to let the driver in on the operation or keep them in the dark. Not familiar with the Espar diagnostics but we use software on a laptop to diagnose and adjust emissions for altitude. Could your problem lie in the electronics, although I have only seen one unit with bad electronics. Are you using the DBW series Webasto in the transits or the TSL series?

Quick Reply: Just finished my Eberspächer installation