Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

just bought truck and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought truck and have some questions

i recently purchased a 1998 2500 dodge 4x4. i heard i should get some more gauges for it such as boost, exhaust temp, and fuel pressure. however i have checked local stores and unless you drive a honda you can't buy gauge pods for the a-pillar. i also need to replace the clutch soon and am looking for any suggestions as to what i should buy (it is an everyday driver to and from school but occasionally it will have some large loads put behind it). i also want to dual out the exhaust but dont know whether i should just take it to a shop and have them split the pipes under the cab and run them back or if there is a better way of doing it via a complete exhaust kit that can be purchased online. i also have found a posi for my rear dana 80 axel and some manual lockers for my front dana 70 axel. what of these possible upgrades are worth my doing? or am i overlooking other things that should be upgraded first? any suggestions welcome.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:08 PM

i meant to include that i am not looking to massively boost performance by any upgrades i just want a strong running truck that will pull a fair load
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the guages go, yes, stay away from the local "ricer shops".

Check out the Dieseltruckresource Online Store or any of the site sponsors
(rotating banners towards the top of the screen)
They specialize in Diesel trucks, and can get you set up with guages in no time.

They are also the best people to talk to about getting a "strong running truck", upgrades, injectors, turbos, clutches, etc.

A couple of the sponsors sell exhaust systems, and IMHO you'll be much happier with a system rather than having the local muffler shop piece something together.

I got my guages from www.wildcatdiesel.com, and am very happy with the service and the guages.
Even had some hoops jumped through to get everything I needed in time for my scheduled install.

Oh, welcome to the site as well.

phox
Old 08-20-2004, 12:45 PM

I would start with the gauges. You could also increase your power with a box or something. As for the clutch, unless you are going for massive power gains, over 350hp I think, a stock clutch will hold.
dave
Old 08-20-2004, 02:08 PM

You have come to the right place for information. Use the search engine on each topic, you will find a plethora of information.

If you are in need of a new clutch now, I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a good clutch that will hold the horsepower that you will inevitably add to your truck in the future. This site and other similar sites will get you hooked and eager to add the next "bomb"

First you add the gages. You watch the boost gage from day to day and start comtemplating how much money it would take to make that needle go a little higher. It's a snowball effect from there. I said I was only going to add things that would ensure longevity of the truck. There's no sense in adding performance items, it's a diesel. HA HA

I have gone over to the dark side. I should have ~400hp to the wheels and a tranny that will hold it next week.

This is just my oppinion, and you know oppinions are like ********, everybody's got one.

If you are interested in a better clutch, I am sure some of the manual tranny guys will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck and hold on to your wallet.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Bighogleg,
A hearty welcome to the site. You'll find lot's of great information. I agree with the above suggestions. Also, do a search for the various compnents that you are interested in. There are some very detailed threads that provide very accurate answers to your questions and will help you make the right decision on what to get to meet your goals. Scott
Old 08-20-2004, 04:53 PM

MU 0090 Rally 350 Hp 700 ft lbs. 89-03 non ETH i dont know much about clutches but i heard that this one would suit my needs. and as far as guages i have found the gauges i want but am still searching for a quad gauge pod for the pillar. those of you who have the edge ez kits installed let me know how you like them. thanks for the information guys
Old 08-20-2004, 06:35 PM

do a search for the quad gauges, if i recall there should be a post about them, i know they make them because ive seen a picture. welcome to the site

chris
Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked for a quad pillar too, but only found triples. I saw a pic of a Ford Van with a quad made from two doubles -- looked pretty nice. I also saw one that had a tripple with a single pillar pod added, also looked ok, but not as nice as the straight quad I saw on a PSD POS.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:32 AM

I have the Ez Edge and love it. I tow about 8000 pounds and always have a good 1000 in the bed. It really made the truck run smoother and stronger. I got a 4 mile per gallon increase milage too!

As for the a-pillar quad - there is a guy on the DTR who modified a 3 pillar and added a separate single pod to it. It looks VERY nice. I chose a dual gauge and have 3 pods on the pillar but one is a dual EGT and Boost. I got the gauges and the pod from Genosgarage.com.

Good luck and welcome. I am a rank beginner, but have found some great advice and really helpful people along the way.