Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

JR adkins lil 55

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i gotcha RJ...im just stating that my lag issues may be caused by some unknown issue i havent uncovered yet. saturday i will have about 20 diesel heads around that may be able to take a look, we are having a "bomb" party locally so maybe i can get help then. if it comes down to it...ill get a smaller charger someday to run that makes my truck a better tow rig/daily driver because im really itching to buy a real cheap beat up 94-95 12v...which may end up as a good candidate for the 55 if i hang on to it!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Jonathan has a reworked Cam.... and is a 12v....
So I think you are looking at apples & oranges??

RJ
I understand I am not looking at apples to apples as far as motors go, but I also understand that we are not dealing with apples to apples on the chargers. Although I do have a ton of fuel(too much fuel hinders spool) and a full built motor, I also have a tight converter DTT with a charger that is much larger. I have a 17 cm housing with a turbine wheel over 3 inches, and a compressor wheel that is over 72 mm---much larger than the lil' 55.

As far as the cam goes: although I am sure the cam helps to spool the charger a little sooner, its was designed for big horsepower/big rpm. The cam is not your typical "better fuel economy, spool-up, and EGT reduction" design.

There are a couple other things that sort of "level the playing field" in terms of lag comparisons with my truck to gb5.9's truck.
A.) I have high injection timing (26*) which takes a lot from the bottom end.
B.) My compression ratio is under 15:1, which certainly doesn't help to get a big charger lit.

I am just saying something seems a little awkward with the whole thing I hope you can get something worked out

Jonathan
Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Well thanks guys you have been a great help. It sounds like gb5.9's turbo is more for drag racing not pulling. I would like something with a 66mm+ housing and boost numbers in the 60's.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Banned

strokethis...i think you have it backwards...my turbo would be great for pulling, hence why it was on 2 pulling trucks before going on my truck (i am the king of used parts) but in a drag race application you want something thats gonna spool quick cuz you cant always launch with the turbo fully lit and spooled...however when you are sled pulling you can sit at the line all day pretty much and slip the clutch or flash a converter to build boost before letting her rip...therefore the lag wouldnt be too much of a concern. if i had o-ring and studs i would disable the wastegate and let you know what kinda boost this charger will run, but i have it wastegated to 47 to save my headgasket.