Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

JL Stealthbox opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL Stealthbox opinion

I've been thinking about getting the JL Audio Stealthbox and the JL Audio 250/1 amp to go in to my '99 2500 Laramie club cab in the middle 20 seat and so i've been looking at past threads about them and have been getting mixed reviews. So can anybody give me a straight cut opinion on the box, 12W3v3 that they put it in and the amp. I'm just adding it to the factory system and am just looking for that added bass.
Thanks
-RustyBoltz
Old 12-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard some good and some bad. Quality sound is subjective. There are other factors in play beyond the componets themselves.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

The one that goes under the front middle seat I'm not that impressed with........it sounds ok but that's about it...just "OK". Now the stealth box that goes under the back seat sounds pretty decent. Not sure it's worth the money but if you are looking for something clean looking and out of the way it's not a bad buy.

~Nick
Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 AM

The bigger the box, the bigger the sound. I'm assuming that since you want a 12" sub, that you are wanting quite a bit of bass. This box is probably not for you. It is designed more for a smaller sub (10" or 8") & will sound better w/ a more crisp style of music.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Yeah 10" subs sound much better in tight areas such as cabs of trucks and smaller cars.........12" subs are better suited for SUV's with more airspace.

~Nick
Old 12-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
I've heard some good and some bad. Quality sound is subjective. There are other factors in play beyond the componets themselves.
What other components ar you refering to?

Originally Posted by carcrz
The bigger the box, the bigger the sound. I'm assuming that since you want a 12" sub, that you are wanting quite a bit of bass. This box is probably not for you. It is designed more for a smaller sub (10" or 8") & will sound better w/ a more crisp style of music.
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Yeah 10" subs sound much better in tight areas such as cabs of trucks and smaller cars.........12" subs are better suited for SUV's with more airspace.

~Nick
Well I'm not looking to totally blow out my windows with bass, but rather to add some more range to my factory stereo. The only reason that I mention the 12W3v3 is that it is the sub that JL's website states that they put in this box.

Is there a better option for me. I don't want to remove my storage under my back seat b/c I use every bit of my club cab so the hidden sub in the seat is the way i want to go.
Thanks for the replys.
-RustyBoltz
Old 12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Well in that case that'd probably be your only option to put it in the center seat. If you need the storage back there than that other box is totally outta the question

~Nick
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RustyBoltz
What other components ar you refering to?

Well I'm not looking to totally blow out my windows with bass, but rather to add some more range to my factory stereo. The only reason that I mention the 12W3v3 is that it is the sub that JL's website states that they put in this box.

Is there a better option for me. I don't want to remove my storage under my back seat b/c I use every bit of my club cab so the hidden sub in the seat is the way i want to go.
Thanks for the replys.
-RustyBoltz
Mainly I was referring to weather or not dyno-mat or similar product will be used in the cab. Head unit and speaker selection can play a big part in over all music quality. If a head unit has time alignment that in my opinion is a plus.

I mean you can get a 7" mid to pound pretty good. Generally subs don't need a real clear amp signal, but distortion and early voice coil failure can result from poor amp quality pushing a big speaker.

As far as sub boxes go there are different type of boxes which produce different types of bass. Sealed boxes, band pass and ported boxes come to mind. Sealed boxes produce a nice tight bass but require a stronger amp to push them, while a ported box produces a boomer sound. A nicely tuned band-pass can sound especially good but a usually large in size..

If you're looking for some extra bass to compliment your stock system the JL box should be up to the task. IMO
Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 PM

I like 10's myself because they have a crisp sound w/ a sealed box. I used to like the bigger speakers when I was younger, but my hearing has suffered greatly because of it.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Mainly I was referring to weather or not dyno-mat or similar product will be used in the cab. Head unit and speaker selection can play a big part in over all music quality. If a head unit has time alignment that in my opinion is a plus.
I'm unfamiliar with dyno-mat. Is it what some members are referring to when they talk about insulating the speakers in the doors??? I'm kind of new to upgrading interiors.

And the rest of my system I'm planning to stay factory.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM

Dynamat and similar products are meant to dampen and insulate. Highly recommend doing the inside of the doors. It helps alot!

Subs are mainly personal preference. JLs are very good subs. But it all comes down to musical taste. Some like loud obnoxious, others like clean and tight. A great sub that I'd recommend is Boston Acoustic. Their subs have a great sound, tight and clean. They can get loud and rattle windows too. But they are great in super small enclosures. They only require about a .5 cubic feet of space. Which is just slightly larger than the sub itself. If you want good sound out of a small space I'd try these. A G5 and their radiator would pound!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 AM

Had the Stealthbox in my '96 and loved it! Was driving it w/ a Soundstream amp w/ about 120 watts. A youngster with a pillow could use it as a seat, too.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:13 AM

yeah the Boston Acoustic stuff is nice. my dad has a 01 silverado ext. cab with one 10" DB Drive sub under the back driverside seat. Pushes the front door speakers (Boston Acoustic. 50w to each) and the sub (also BA 100w) with a 2 channel Boston Acoustic amp. stock head unit. stock rear speakers and let me tell you. for stock it sounded decent but just that little bit gave it an amazing sound for such a simple setup. not tons of door rattling bass but nice balanced sound that doesn't distort no matter how loud you crank it.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:40 PM

The dual 10" JL Stealthbox under the rear seat sounds better than the 12" center console for sure. I listened to both before I opted for the dual 10. I also got the JL 250/1 to go with it and it sounded great. I sold my '99 and unfortunately it won't fit in the '05. As a matter of fact I still have it... almost sold it for $500 but that fell through so it's sitting in my spare room. I paid almost $1k and it was worth every penny! BTW, don't even consider any other brand of dual 10" under the back seat... I tried the MTX . The JL is hand laid fiberglass, not plastic. If you're ever out this way you can try before you buy, just give me a hollar!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM

its bad edited by admin box get it and put a punch P3 with a 600 amp. I love mine. Sound better than 2 10 to me

Last edited by Totallyrad; 04-15-2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Profanity S/L