Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Jake brake question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Jake brake question?

no question about everything you said. what I'm asking is why (except for testing) you would use the e-brake without touching the brake pedal. your brake lights won't come on (maybe thats not illegal but I'd prefer the guy behind me knoew I was applying my brakes) and the brake controller won't activate your trailer brakes. the larger question I'm asking is, in general, how you use your e-brake in conjuction with the conventional braking system and controller--I take it that the e-brake is just a manual "assist" so to speak, applied in addition to normal braking. that way at least your brake lights come on and you're not trying to stop a 15,000 pound trailer without using its own brakes.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:06 PM

An E Brake is like downshifting to hold your self back going down a hill.<br>Your brake lights don't come on then either.<br>It doesn't stop you like hitting the service brakes.<br>If the person behind can't see a 7,000 lb. truck pulling a 15,000 lb. trailer I doubt he will see a little red light. <br><br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 06-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Ruralmedic link=board=7;threadid=10265;start=0#98229 date=1043909672]The Jacobs Ex-brake is what I believe comes OEM if spec'd. I don't know what the upcharge is new, but aftermarket can be had for less than $600 plus installation. Also, need torque converter lockup device if used on automatic transmission.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The dealership I bought my truck at was going to charge over $2000 to put the Ex-brake on. What's this $600 stuff?? Were they just trying to take me?? I didn't get it...but still.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Banned

Hey Hoss, why don't you do it yourself? From what I understand, it's not that hard to do.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would...but I don't need it. Heck...I didn't really NEED a diesel...but I wanted one. ;D I run empty 98% of the time and the brakes on the truck seem to stop it just fine...
Old 06-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Banned

You sound like me. I didn't NEED a diesel. I just wanted one. Man. This is scary. Not only am I going to the same college as Hoss, but I have the same reason for getting my truck. Anybody want a slightly bombed CTD?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:39 PM

Sounds like a Big Blue Hoss to me ;D <br><br><br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 06-11-2003, 04:45 PM

Eddie, good points on using the e-brake while towing just as you would shift down while running empty. So as a matter of practice, do you apply the e-brake before or at the same time as the service brakes? just interested in driving techniques.<br>
Old 06-11-2003, 04:56 PM

Mine stays on 90% of the time.<br>The master switch that is.<br>It has another switch that activates it when you let completly off the go pedal.<br>I use it running empty it works great.<br>I can run through the hills around here and hardly ever touch my service brakes.<br>Beside I like the sound and the looks when people try to figure out what it is. ;D<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 06-11-2003, 08:51 PM

well after pulling the new 5'er i am considering a e-brake of some kind.i did get a few minutes at muncie to talk to the pac brake guy.is there anyone running one with an automatic.i was told i can install it myself in a couple of hours.not sure of the price though.i believe i have to change the exhaust valve springs to 60 lbs. at the time of e-brake install.any comments would be appreciated.<br><br>mike
Old 06-11-2003, 10:07 PM

I am a big fan of e-brakes. IMHO there is no &quot;dramatic&quot; braking action unless you are at high RPM's when it switches on, but I believe that you get a much safer &quot;feel&quot; when you slow down just by letting off of the accelerator. I realize this is subjective, but you will know it when you feel it. I have had several Dodge/Cummins trucks that I put service bodies on that run at or near GVWR all the time. In southern Kalifornia stop and go traffic I could not keep brakes on them, they typically needed brakes at 9-12,000 miles. After the e-brake installs (these were trucks that were mid 90's versions that also needed exhaust spring upgrades) they would consistently go 24-30,000 miles between brake jobs. The effect may be subtle most of the time, but it is real and it does make a difference.<br><br>Cheers.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:24 PM

[quote author=Doug link=board=7;threadid=10265;start=30#148282 date=1055361162]<br>no question about everything you said. what I'm asking is why (except for testing) you would use the e-brake without touching the brake pedal. your brake lights won't come on (maybe thats not illegal but I'd prefer the guy behind me knew I was applying my brakes) and the brake controller won't activate your trailer brakes. the larger question I'm asking is, in general, how you use your e-brake in conjuction with the conventional braking system and controller--I take it that the e-brake is just a manual &quot;assist&quot; so to speak, applied in addition to normal braking. that way at least your brake lights come on and you're not trying to stop a 15,000 pound trailer without using its own brakes.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Doug,<br><br>Within 1/2 mile of my house I start down a 1 mile 14% grade. If I turn on my e-brake at the top of the grade in 4th gear, 1:1, it allows me to maintain my speed at 35 mph without applying service brakes. 35 is the max safe speed on this mountain road. Anyone following will either be constantly applying their service brakes or be geared down to prevent a runaway. They are not worrying why my brake lights don't come on. They drive these roads every day, they know locals all gear down to save service brakes. <br><br>I witnessed a gravel truck with a transfer trailer loaded, GVCW about 46 tons, make the mistake of taking one of these narrow mountain roads, 1 1/2 miles of 11 % grade. The road has four 180 deg and three 90 deg curves. Fortunately he had the road to himself that day. He missed a down-shift at the top portion and with his load had to depend on his service brakes. Half wady down they were overheated and almost useless. <br><br>The grade ends with 1/3 mile of 7% up grade at the end of which he rolled to a stop. The driver's face was a whitish-gray, he was shaking violently when I approached the cab. He was gripping the steering wheel so tightly it was some time before his fingers relaxed enough to let go. There was a strong smell of urine in the cab. I talked to him for awhile trying to reassure him. Finally he spoke, his first words were, &quot;I thought, My God I'm taking my last ride.&quot; :'(<br><br>And then Doug you are worried whether you have working brake lights. It is the responsibility of the following driver to maintain a safe distance behind another vehicle to be able to stop in an emergency. The purpose of brake lights is not to warn the tail-gater but to warn vehicles following at a safe distance that the lead vehicle may be in an emergency stop. ???
Old 06-12-2003, 10:38 AM

great comments everyone. you can tell I've not towed (thats in the future) and I appreciate the insights into driving techniques -- just what I was looking for. <br><br>Sierra Phil, you're right of course about the brake lights purpose. and now that I understand a bit better how the e-brake works and how it is used, everything is clearer now. I'm just out to do my homework before hitting the road with 10,000 lbs behind me. I'll probably end up pulling a TT of 25-30 feet with the stock Class IV receiver, and it looks like that will be sub 10K. <br>
Old 06-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck has 125000 miles on it and the original front brake pads look like new. The rear shoes are still probably 3/4 or better and I pull up to 26000 pounds. I use the Jacobs all the time. I've had truck drivers swear at me because the brake lights didn't work. I just tap the brakes and tell them to look again. You're supposed to look at the vehicle, not the brake lights. Suppose you are depending on the brake lights to come on on the vehicle in front of you and they don't work for whatever reason, now what do you do. You could save money by not buying the e-brake and just replace shoes, pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, drums, and calipers every so often. If you're not hauling anything, the brake may not be worth while. If you are hauling, it is a good investment.