Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Jake brake question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jake brake question?

Could someone please explain what the difference is between a jake brake and an exhaust brake? Which one can be put on the new 3500? How much does one cost with dealer installation? If I decide to get a new 3500 I will probably be pulling between 7 and 10 thousand pounds. Would this be a worthwhile option for me? Thanks! Bob
Old 01-30-2003, 12:54 AM

Re:Jake brake question?

A jake brake is a compression brake using a special cylinder head, and I think you can control 2, 4, or 6 cylinders at a time. An exhaust brake is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe that closes to slow ya down. The latter is what's available for the ISB, and everyone that has them loves 'em. <br><br>The Jacobs Ex-brake is what I believe comes OEM if spec'd. I don't know what the upcharge is new, but aftermarket can be had for less than $600 plus installation. Also, need torque converter lockup device if used on automatic transmission.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:03 AM

Actually the Jacobs Exhaust brake is more like 1200 from Mopar or Cummins distributor. The price increase is due in part to the belt driven vacuum pump that is required for 2003 trucks. The kit is high quality and the instructions are excellent. Took me around 6 hours to install it. What ultimately led to my decision to buy the Jacobs unit was the warrantee issue. Basically if the brake fails and messes up the motor, DC pays. The others manufacturer's warranty statemens are not as clear. Cummins spent three years testing this brake with this motor. I paid a lot of money for this truck and really was not going to quibble about a few hundred dollars at this point to buy piece of mind. And yes, if you tow it is definetly worth it. FWIW<br><br>Casey
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 AM

Bob, notice in my signature I have ordered my '03 with the Jacobs E Brake since I pull an 11,000 lb. trailer. Yep, I think it is worth while after pulling with my current '99. I never could put the money up for it on the '99 (having other priorities for expense). The dealer here would have put it on for $950.00, but I am taking the comercial incentive on the new one which gives it to me for $299.00 installed. Jacobs invented the &quot;Jake Brake&quot;, as &quot;JAKE&quot; is short for Jacobs, and the Jacobs E Brake is the only one warranteed with the Cummins ISB engine, so spend the few extra dollars on the Jacobs. As Casey said, Jacobs spent no small amount of time and money developing this specifically for the ISB engine.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Luv mine. Quiet, smooth, good holdback at higher rpms. Try to order it with the new truck if the incentive package is still in effect. Well worth the money if towing.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:46 PM

What is the incentive package? What is the price with it? Thanks Bob
Old 01-31-2003, 12:26 AM

There is a fair amount of confusion on this matter. Part of the confusion is that the exhaust brake that is available from the dealer is made by the same company that makes &quot;Jake&quot; brakes. Exhaust brakes are (as was described by Ruralmedic) simply a butterfly valve in the exhaust plumbing. It provides braking action because it induces back pressure. You will notice that on a gasser, when you let off of the accelerator the vehicle slows down as a result of vacuum on the intake side. The vacuum is created by limiting the gasoline/air mixture available to the engine. On a gasser this mixture is (for the most part) a constant air/gasoline mixture of about 14:1. This does not happen with a diesel engine because a diesel is regulated by changing the amount of fuel in the mixture, the ratio changes not the volume. A diesel is a big air pump. You interfere with the action of the &quot;air pump&quot; with the butterfly valve and thereby induce braking action by creating back pressure.<br><br>What is commonly know as a &quot;Jake Brake&quot; creates braking action by floating the exhaust valves on the power stroke. In this case you have all off the compression created by the compression stroke without all of the power that should have been created by the power stroke. These systems are rarely seen on engines smaller than 10 liter displacement and are never seen on engines with hydraulic lifters.<br><br>An exhaust brake makes a hissing sound as the exhaust finds its way through the constricted exhaust system. A &quot;Jake Brake&quot; makes a very rapid popping sound as it floats the valves.<br><br>Sorry for the long post, and sorry for the gross oversimplification to any of you engineer types.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:14 AM

[quote author=newtattoobob link=board=20;threadid=10265;start=0#98567 date=1043977574]<br>What is the incentive package? What is the price with it? Thanks Bob<br>[/quote]<br><br>Check with your dealer on this to see if it is still active. When I ordered my truck, there was a special on the brake installed at $799 with a $500 rebate. That left $299 for me to pay. The delivery of the brake was a long time coming and ended up being more of a pain to install than originally anticipated. If you can still get one on that plan, buy it. I think the new price installed (if not ordered with the truck) is about $1300.<br><br>Bob
Old 02-02-2003, 06:23 PM

Can you guys help, I was quoted $1395 plus 4hours install for a jake brake at the local Dodge dealer. I will be shopping around to get a better price, maybe you can send addresses of dealers that offer for a better price.<br>Thanks<br>
Old 03-20-2003, 11:26 PM

Help! my '03,HO, 6sp, just had the dealer install the Jacobs Exhaust Brake. It was thier first...we now hear the wooshing out the tailpipe (normal per Jacobs) BUT what about the very loud whistle comming from the area of the exhaust brake when engaged? It sounds like a very bad high pressure exhaust gas leak. The dealer does not know. It occurs when the unit is switched on, and from outside it sounds terrible! Anybody have similar noise? Thanks. ps As this was ordered on my truck when I picked it up in Nov '02, even though back order kept it off until this month, it comes with full factory warranty as though it came on truck back in Nov.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:03 PM

[quote author=TSW5150 link=board=20;threadid=10265;start=0#118680 date=1048224391]<br>Help! my '03,HO, 6sp, just had the dealer install the Jacobs Exhaust Brake. It was thier first...we now hear the wooshing out the tailpipe (normal per Jacobs) BUT what about the very loud whistle comming from the area of the exhaust brake when engaged? It sounds like a very bad high pressure exhaust gas leak. The dealer does not know. It occurs when the unit is switched on, and from outside it sounds terrible! Anybody have similar noise? Thanks. ps As this was ordered on my truck when I picked it up in Nov '02, even though back order kept it off until this month, it comes with full factory warranty as though it came on truck back in Nov.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Mine makes an odd noise out the tail pipe when idling if the brake is engaged. You will hear a slightly different sound in the cab when you are decelerating with brake engaged. I hear no difference in the engine or tailpipe without the brake engaged. My first thought is your brake is on all the time. Did they hook up the vacuum pump and lines correctly? Do you hear a difference when decelerating when on or off and do you feel a difference in the holding back of the brake when you activate it? This 03 is different than previous years in that there is no vacuum pump on these - - it has to be installed requiring a new serpentine, etc. Something is not right.<br><br>BaffledBob
Old 03-22-2003, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jake Brake

On a Jake Brake the exhaust valve opens at the end of the compression stroke. There is no &quot;power&quot; stroke in this instance because when you are decellerating or braking there is no fuel injected into the cylinder. Effectively the exhaust valve opens every engine revolution instead of every other revolution.

I also was under the understanding all 6 cylinders contribute to the braking, not two or three.

http://www.jakebrake.com/content.php...eaabc65d35cb8b

Vaugh
Old 03-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Banned

I was under the impression that you could purchase a 3 stage Jake for the engines. 2 4 or 6 cyl retarding. Maybe I am incorrect.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:50 PM

[quote author=spots link=board=20;threadid=10265;start=0#119483 date=1048438499]
I was under the impression that you could purchase a 3 stage Jake for the engines. 2 4 or 6 cyl retarding. Maybe I am incorrect.
[/quote]

Paul,
My dealer only had one brake number for 2003's. That is the one I have.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:30 PM
cp

[quote author=spots link=board=20;threadid=10265;start=0#119483 date=1048438499]<br>I was under the impression that you could purchase a 3 stage Jake for the engines. 2 4 or 6 cyl retarding. Maybe I am incorrect.<br>[/quote]<br><br>For the regular Jake brake on big engines, this is true. The ones I've seen have toggle switch selectors to determine the number of cylinders the brake will use.

Quick Reply: Jake brake question?