Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Jake Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jake Brake

i was at school today and these guys were playing around with the jake brake on the school's semi, and i got to thinkin', can we put a jake brake on our trucks? if so why or why not? i should've asked my teacher or one of the second year guys, but i didn't really think of it that seriously at the time. so just curious now....
and besides, it would be totally sweet....
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered

they dont make them for the 5.9's. Even if they did, you'd have to cut into the firewall to clear the valve cover
Old 10-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Exhaust brakes and jake brakes are to different animals...

Jake Brake uses engine oil pressure to control the exhaust valves of the engine. Not going to happen on a 5.9L Cummins...

Exhaust brake is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe behind the turbo...Very common...
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 PM

i c, i didn't know that you had to buy one, i thought it was something you could rig up, and i know the difference between the exhaust and jake (engine) brake, i just wanted a jake brake for the sound , i don't pull nothin so i don't need one or the other.

man i'm goin to school to be a diesel tech, and i haven't dealt with jake brakes yet, i feel dumb , but hey, it is only my first year, my first semester let alone. so it's not my fault
Old 10-02-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
i c, i didn't know that you had to buy one, i thought it was something you could rig up, and i know the difference between the exhaust and jake (engine) brake, i just wanted a jake brake for the sound , i don't pull nothin so i don't need one or the other.

man i'm goin to school to be a diesel tech, and i haven't dealt with jake brakes yet, i feel dumb , but hey, it is only my first year, my first semester let alone. so it's not my fault
Don't feel dumb at all . You asked a question because you didnt know the answer. Its what we are all here for, to help each other. Stay focused in school and you will learn a whole lot. I've been going to school for one year now training to be a diesel tech and I'm blown away sometimes when I think about how much I have learned.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by NHdodgeman
Don't feel dumb at all . You asked a question because you didnt know the answer. Its what we are all here for, to help each other. Stay focused in school and you will learn a whole lot. I've been going to school for one year now training to be a diesel tech and I'm blown away sometimes when I think about how much I have learned.
hey thanks a lot buddy for the re-assurance, i appreciate what you said!

so where are you going to school at?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 PM

University of Northwestern Ohio. Located in Lima OH. Theres not much to do around here so school is my main focus really... Big change from living in NH all my life.

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 AM

Just so you know Ridiculous here is a pic of the Jocobs Exhaust Brake...