Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

J-hook Install - Do I need one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J-hook Install - Do I need one?

I recently installed a Van Aaken box on my truck and am currently loving the increased response with it. Since I have an '01.5 with the solid tube, an elbow wont work, so through research I've found the j-hook solution. So after playing under the hood and looking, the wastegate actuation mechanism seems to be buried under the turbo.

1st - do I need one? Does it totally block the wastegate? My turbo comes up quick and occasionally breaks the 21lb barrier (by .4lbs at most). Am I going to have issues after installing one?

2nd - how the heck to you install it? I can't get my meat hooks under the turbo to even touch the darn thing. Does the turbo need to come off to install one of these buggers?

Just curious to hear anyone elses experience with the VA and j-hook. I love it now, but more ooomph for ~$25 bucks sounds like a winner to me.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Well I don't have a J-hook on mine but I do have a turnbuckle and mine is completely locked shut.

The J-hook still allows the wastegate to operate, it just holds the gate shut longer to build more boost.

They are kind of a bugger to get to, I had a heck of a time getting my paws under there but I somehow managed to do it. Taking the turbo off would be the easiest way to get to it......but that might end up turning into more work than needed.

I definetely recommend one though........not only does it add performance but also helps cool your EGT's with more boost!!

~Nick
Old 03-29-2006, 08:10 PM

What kind of boost numbers are you seeing? You've got more of a box than I do, but I'm curious. I guess no one with a J-hook is reading tonight?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:38 PM

Post I have a J-Hook

I have one, but I don't have a boost gauge. I think if you add one, you also need to add a boost fooler that plugs into the MAP sensor (unless the box you are running has one already).

It it relatively easy to put on. It connects solidly to the round diaphram pot portion of the wastegate on one side, then has a spring, then has a J-hook at the other end that attaches to the wastegate valve. The J-Hook does not prevent the gate from opening, just delays it until higher boost is reached. I think stock is ~ 20 psi, J-hook is ~28 psi. It is possible to get to it from above, easier to reach, but it is hard to see from up there. Easy to see from under the truck, but harder to reach unless you have long arms or a tall creeper. I did it with help from my BIL. He was under the hood, me under the truck on a creeper. Hope that helps.

If you get one and install it (good idea), let me know what kind of boost #s you see B4 and after.