Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, for starters!! After working on my truck for the past week, this is what I've done:
Changed the oil and filter (15W-40 Delo with a K&N oil filter)
Changed the fuel filter (Baldwin)
Changed the air filter (Fram) ( tho a new stage 2 is on the way )
Changed the belt (Gates)
Had the valves adjusted by the dealer, who also gave me some bad news about the a/c system....it needs a new evaporator and a drier. I'll see how hard that'll be to change when the big book gets here. So far, that's the only bad news about this truck I've had or found. Knock on wood!! The dealer wants $1250 to fix this problem but I'm NOT paying....them.
The neighbor's kid, who's a professional window tinter, tinted the 2 side windows and the rear window. It turned out PERFECT and he gave me a hell of a deal!!
I greased the 2 zirks I could find on the front end. Are there more? Soon as the new BIG service manual from Daimler/Chrysler (thru Geno's Garage) gets here I'll know too.
I added 7 gallons of biodiesel to the tank last Friday evening for a B-20 mix which is good starting out. Besides the french fry smell everything seems to be good there. I have to have an emmisions test later on today before they'll give me the plate and tag so as everything's about done and I need the plate, the blow test she be!!
I got a new Delta toolbox which was ON SALE at Schucks.
I'll R&R the antifreeze later on this week. And new tires are in order, TOYO's from Les Schwab, with a front end alignment soon as I can get my swingshift butt out of bed and get down there by 8:00 am. I'll have them LOOK at the brakes too and tell me how much is left so that I can fix them should they need it.
I think the guy who owned it since new (I'm the 2nd owner) changed the oil and filter and maybe the fuel filter but my thinking is that he just did the minimum, put on about a 100k miles and then trades it in and starts again after 4 or 5 years. The belt was original and I'm betting the BFG's were the 2nd set of tires to grace the truck. They're going to be VERY short lived with me as I don't like the noise they emit. It figures that the a/c would have a problem as it was undoubtedly on double duty in the Texas heat. I found a spot in the paint on the passenger side front section of the bed that has some sun fade but again the truck is 5 years old now but other than that, it's in great shape and I'm happy with what I've purchased.
Here's what's coming:
Stainless fenderwell trim (purchased on Ebay)
The small stick-on window vents
A new evaporator and drier (which was recently purchased on Ebay for less than $120 which included shipping) for some a/c work
Some kind of lift pump solution about which I'm undecided but leaning towards Glacier's system. Cost & performance help that system over a FASS setup imho, tho either would do the job and do it well.
Gauges.....of some kind tho I'm leaning towards either a Quadzilla setup or the Edge With Attitude system because then I have an excuse to chip my truck too!!
I saw a package deal somewhere where the chip was included but the total cost was about $800 or so.
Anyway, that's what I've been up to and what's coming. Comments & suggestions welcome on how to make this truck a MILEAGE MACHINE....with maybe a smidgeon of performance truck thrown in!! Thanks everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?-img_0314.jpg   I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?-img_0316.jpg  
Old 04-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the cummins! def better than a ford. yeah i just purchased my first cummins a little while back and i love it. but as far as mods i would def get a set of gauges unless you want a tuner to cuz then you could get Edge juice with attitude which has all the gauges you need covered! also invest in some nice exhaust they sound amazing and you can pick up some power to. once again congrats on the truck looks nice and clean.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM

If you're going to change out the coolant, you should R+R the rad at the same time. The blow by tube/puke bottle makes the rad plug up with oily residue which makes the dirt stick. This can cause overheating.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM

I was thinking about one of those flush kits, tho I'd probably be changing a hose along with the coolant. Long as you isolate the radiator by disconnecting hoses while changing them, that would work too?? I changed out the rad on my old 93 and that was a piece of cake. This one looks to have a whole bunch more stuff in the way and in front of it. Anyway, the big book is coming so I'll soon know more about such current mysteries....and I won't be asking so many dumb questions. Thanks for your guys' help!! Chuck
Old 04-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'd be best off selling it and buying a 1st gen.
just kidding, i'd do a k&n intake, small chip, and 4 turbo back exhaust
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 93beater
you'd be best off selling it and buying a 1st gen.
just kidding
Been there, done that. And enjoyed almost every minute too. It was/is a great truck. A "man's truck" is what I usually hear. Amen to that!!

Quadzilla Commander or Edge Juice With Attitude?? I'm looking at the gauge aspect here primarily. Which has the superior display? Mounting options? Gauges and their mount installed would run some $$ so I can "do it myself" if I go this route.
Which one and why?? Thanks again!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM

That's a great looking truck. Hope you have many happy miles. I love mine most when I have something hitched to it. It pulls like crazy.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Chuxtruk
If your interested and would like a good chip, i have a BANKS BIG HOSS. i am about to install the juice with attitude so i will not need it any more. i have been pleased with the performance and all that jazz but its time for some MORE. i may have 15k miles with it in my truck. with stock tires, K&N intake and streight pipes i was running about 22 mpg or so.
the only thing is, my truck is an auto trans.
ask around and let me know if you would be interested.
good luck and enjoy the ride
Old 04-17-2007, 05:26 PM

i would strait pipe it (no muffler), then get some guages, then depending on what you do with the truck get a chip
Old 04-18-2007, 04:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions you guys!! Gauges. Yes, that's why I'd consider either the Edge Juice unit or the Quadzilla Commander. They both have the gauge feature and can work without any kind of power chip whatsoever and as a stand alone unit monitoring (up to) 6 aspects of your engine's performance. I bet they're a LOT EASIER to install too then a pillar pod full of conventional gauges and the installation and wiring nightmare that could ensue.

PowrStorkthsRam So that means my 5 speed manual tranny truck will get about 26 mpg with that chip??? I'd be happy with a steady 22 but would hope and pray for 1 or 2 more!! Anyway, check your PM's as I sent you one regarding your chip. Thanks!!
Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Hey thanks!!
I went to Les Schwab bright and early Friday morning and had new Toyo tires put on all the way around. They gave me $100 for the BFG's that I couldn't wait to get rid of that were on it. It has made the ride MUCH BETTER and there's absolutely NO TIRE NOISE with these. What a difference!!!!!
The S&B Stage 2 airbox was put on today. R & R of the factory setup was a snap and tho installation of the new airbox had a couple of small fitment issues and had directions for a PowerStroke install , I managed to figure it out. Besides running better you can hear some of the turbo whine though some modification may be required to that open side of the box.
I also installed the chrome fender trim around each fender/wheel well. Tho it was an easy job, you still needed 4 hands, 2 to hold the piece up where you want it and then the other two to do the drilling and screwing. A bit of Loc-Tite thread locker on each screw finalized this install. On this dark blue truck that's a GREAT LOOK and I'm wondering why they don't add such simple enhancements when the truck was new....
The Quadzilla Commander for my gauges is coming right up. The fuel pressure will be known/monitored from then on. Lift pump solution to follow. At the minimum, the stock lift pump will be replaced with the latest from Cummins tho Glacier's setup would work too. Some kind of mileage/power performance chip after that. Glad I had the sale of my old truck to finance my new "I wants" on this one. Thank heaven's I'm about done.... probably in more ways than one!!
Attached Thumbnails I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?-img_0319.jpg   I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?-img_0320.jpg